Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I used to have a 83 V45 years ago and loved it and went to look at one for my girl friend and it just felt heavy in the steering and the girlfriend didn't like the feel, She said my spirit 100 felt lighter when sitting there. But was a nice bike other than the heavy feeling in the front.

Dauntae

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Had a '96 Magna VT750CD with the original colors Purple and White.
It's the only year where the Magna came with a bikini fairing.
I bought the bike without the fairing but was able to order one on Ebay.
The day the fairing arrived was the day I sold her. A happy chap in Singapore
bought the fairing.

I miss my Magna so I still keep a few pics of her. She's was so pretty.

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
Magna

I had an 82 V45 and it was a blast. Smooth and fast. Closer to a standard then a cruiser. Maintenance was a bitch with 4 carbs in the smae amount of room as a V-Twin.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I have three V65 Magnas and had a V30 for a couple of years. Yes, it is not easy to pull the carbs, but when they are running right it is so worth it! With a K & G backrest, windshield, and crashbar with footpegs they can make a serviceable cruiser, although probably not the comfort over the long haul of a Shadow type ride. Engines are silky smooth, looks are a bit deceiving about how fast they really are. A V65 was run into the high 10's in the quarter by PeeWee Gleason and a team from Honda in 1983. Not bad for a 25 year old bike. V65s had some cam issues, but those are fixable and overblown in my opinion.

There is a very active V4Honda Board for these bikes, as well as a couple of boards for the 3rd Gen Magna. The 3rd Gen Magna as pictured in your first post will run with and above many of the big cruisers. There is an article on Custom Cruiser comparing this bike to the Vrod, Valk, Mean Streak, even the VMax. It didn't win, but was somewhere in the middle of the pack.

Harley-Davidson V-Rod vs. Honda VTX 1800 vs. Honda Valkyrie vs. Honda Magna vs. Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Mean Streak vs. Yamaha V-Max vs. Yamaha Road Star - Performance Cruiser Motorcycle Comparison - Motorcycle Cruiser

Site not open to general admission at all times due to spam issues, let me know if you want to join.
Honda Sabre, Magna, Interceptor BBS - Index

Second Gen Super Magna of '87-'88 era is quite rare and has an extreme cult following. Parts are difficult to impossible to obtain and plan on paying premium prices for them. I would not recommend that particular bike unless you really loved it, not for a daily rider for that reason. IF you have one, go ahead and ride it tho.

This is one of mine that I ride most. If you have an specific questions I can probably answer them for you, or find the answer for sure!

Attachments

·
Registered
947 Posts
Never have gotten to ride one, though I wold love to throw a leg over one, one day. One I discovered the VMax, it sort of got into my blood. ;)

·
Registered
413 Posts
Never have gotten to ride one, though I wold love to throw a leg over one, one day. One I discovered the VMax, it sort of got into my blood. ;)
Mr Max came along and sort of took the wind out of the V65's sail and never looked back. It is interesting to wonder where the Magna would be today if they had kept building it all along like the VMax. It would probably be a V twin like the Honda Sabre, so maybe good they quit!:mrgreen:There are enough names out there to not steal a good one from the past. Walk into most Honda dealers and ask for parts for a V4 Sabre and see what kind of response you get?

The VFR1200R gives some hope to the Honda V4 lineup, but I doubt they will put one in a cruiser as I don't think the demand for that type bike is out there, nor do they probably want to do battle with the Max again.

A 86-90 VMax is on my short list of bikes to own someday. Not at the top, but close to it.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have tried a few different bikes but keep coming back to the 3gen magna. It just fits well and does all I would want it to do. I still have an 1800 vtx that see’s very little time on the road.

·
Registered
475 Posts
i love the look of the magnas, never rode one but would love to take a 85-87 v65 out for a ride. parts are hard enough to find for an old shadow and like wstar said prolly just as hard to find for a magna. what a great concept tho....if i knew more about bikes i would love to build a harley lowrider with a v65 engine, imo that would b the ultimate bike, or put a v65 engine on my 84 shadow...ok, i will stop dreaming....:)

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
magna

Actually the Magna is pretty much a Shadow with a V-four instead of a V-Twin. I loved mine and evrytime I crank on my Sabre I wish I had the power of the Magna. The V45 had almost twice as much power as My 1100 Sabre, and the V65 was a third more then that.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Actually the Magna is pretty much a Shadow with a V-four instead of a V-Twin. I loved mine and evrytime I crank on my Sabre I wish I had the power of the Magna. The V45 had almost twice as much power as My 1100 Sabre, and the V65 was a third more then that.
The 83-86 Magna and Shadows have many similarities, the tear drop tank, stepped seat, mag wheels, and overall styling from the early to mid eighties. Some wheels are direct swaps, turn signals are identical. Many parts look very similar but will not swap.

The V4 engine is not just two twins side by side. For me, the engine makes the bike. I can see where you could look at it the other way and say the engine is just part of the bike, part of the overall picture.

1986 was the last year for the V65.

Later versions of the Shadow seemed to morph more into a Heritage Sofftail look alike, IMO. The tank got flatter and less sloped, the bike became more flat overall. A little less chopper looking, and more modern cruiser looking to my eye.

Later versions of the Magna did the same thing. The 3rd Gen Magna is kind of a crossover as I see it. Still has the performance of the V4, but in the body of a more modern cruiser. The name "cruiser" or "performance cruiser" has also changed over the years. When the Magna came out it was considered a cruiser, the V65 was probably the first "performance cruiser" If you go to the M109 board, those guys consider that bike to be a performance cruiser, and for the most part DON'T consider the Magna to be a cruiser at all. They don't really seem to have a category for it, or the VMax, which I also consider to be a performance cruiser. They like to say the M109 is the fastest performance cruiser on the road, which is not true if you also consider the V65 and Max to be a cruiser. Obviously, V65 is no longer made, but the VMax is. So, it seems they get around that by not classifying those as a performance cruiser. Star does have the VMax on the page with all the other cruisers if you go to their website, so they consider it to be a cruiser as well. Or, it just doesn't fit with anything else any better, may very well be the case today. My feeling is the V65 started the class, it will ALWAYS be in the class. Now, I am a V65 guy, so I probably tend to see things in a way that benefit me, just as the M109 guys do. And all of us I suppose, to some extent.

Generally, I would disagree with you that the Shadow and Magna are pretty much the same bike with the exception of the engine. I would say they are not at all alike BECAUSE of the engine. But, I do see that this can be looked at in two different ways. Some may tend to call the Gen 1 Magna a standard, but the standard of that era was a Nighthawk, wasn't it. I see it as Standard, Cruiser, Performance Cruiser, across the Nighthawk, Shadow, and Magna lines but it certainly depends on how you want to set up your classes how you categorize the bikes. I don't see it as real clear cut by any means.

If you get a chance to ride a V65 by all means take it. Just don't whack the throttle open in first gear like you do on a Shadow! You will quickly find out what two extra cylinders can do for you!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 1984 Honda magna v30 and I’m in West Virginia I love this bike it’s in great condition and love riding the mountains

·
Registered
2007 VT1100C
35 Posts
How finicky were the carbs? I'd imagine as with any bike with 4 carbs, it'd be tough to get them all synced and dialed in.

·
Premium Member
2000 Honda Shadow Spirit VT1100C
3,261 Posts
How finicky were the carbs? I'd imagine as with any bike with 4 carbs, it'd be tough to get them all synced and dialed in.
Not finicky at all actually. They are completely stock, and I keep them treated with Seafoam and Lucas Fuel injector cleaner in every tank of gas.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Not even close to a Shadow with V4. Completely different frame.
How about comparing the VT500C Shadow to the VF500C Magna? Those two, at least on paper, look more in the same ballpark than the V45s and V65s do to their comparable sized Shadow models. 54hp to 68hp, both with 6 speed, but the Magna had chain drive while the Shadow got the shaft.

It seems like the 80s Shadows were quite a bit more potent, in general, than the later generations, but especially that VT500C.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts