Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CORONAVIRUS!! That all you hear these days but I honestly dont get why people are so scared. Its not that dangerous and hasnt affected that many people but the media makes it out to be Ebola or the plague or something. My wife is concerned because we are going to the Caribbean in a couple of weeks. I refuse to be scared. Its ridiculously blown out of proportion and I am not falling for it. How about you guys?

·
Registered
12,835 Posts
"It is just another virus like every year" many say. But up here in Seattle it has killed a lot of old folks.
I am old folks now myself, so it has become more real. The Mayor has curtailed large gatherings over 250 people and other sized groups.
Look at information about the Spanish flu from 1918 and it is just like it has re cycled again. 1600 people died in Seattle in 6 months with that flu. Crazy stuff. If you are younger and healthier you will probably be fine.
Up here all the toilet paper is gone from store shelves. But we ask WHY? you don't get the sh+ts from this one.😳

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A lot? As of today the death toll in the entire US is 33...
There has been 39 cases in BC and 1 death. A man in his 80's with pre existing medical issues. These are hardly frightening statistics.
And yet for some odd reason, people are buying up all the toilet paper here too. In fact, the morning show on the local radio station was giving away two packages of toilet paper as a prize this morning. Strange

·
Registered
124 Posts
It is scary! The media has over hyped it and our leaders are listening to them. This is turn causes us to be locked up against our will. Quarantined is the word they use to justify it. Restrict our travel. Restrict our gatherings. This still isn't the worst. The worst part is that the masses accept and support it. This is just a test. Had this been a real emergency, the police and military would have been engaged.
OTOH:
I feel the same as the OP. My wife is freaking out, buying surplus water, food, clothing, masks, gloves, disinfectants, etc. The good thing is, I tell her I want something (like a new big ultrawide computer monitor) to help pass the time while we are quarantined and she agrees!!!!! Wooooooohoooooooo.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Today the US banned flights from Europe so it is mob rule. I have a respiratory issue and have always use sanitizers and have emergency supplies. The problem stemmed not from media but from govt officials who advised on stocking up and that caused panic buying so now if you are actually sick, you cannot get a mask etc. Some people here, have emptied all the supermarkets of not only masks, sanitizers, rubbing alcohol, tp, but also rice and the once rice was gone flour. The panic is momentum based such as the run on the banks in 1929 or financial bubble 2008.

So your problem is not just whether the virus will affect you. Its also how other peoples reactions will affect you ie flights, personal safety. Personally, I have changed out travel plans for this year and intend to have a more isolated vacation (bomb shelter?)

G.

·
Registered
554 Posts
It is a serious issue, and it needs to be respected. Sure it is many ways like the Flu...if your middle aged and healthy and get the flu, you will suffer a bit but get better....But if you have health issues and older, you could face a struggle. The flu itself does not get the respect it deserves....1000's of people dies each yr from the Flu, thats in the USA...a 1st world country and thats with a vaccine that helps a great deal. So you may be ok if you catch the Corona or seasonal flu, but the person you pass it on to, may not be so fortunate. I'm a RN and no expert on the subject, but when CDC says its an issue, you need to listen. Simplest thing 1 can do is wash their hands.....and do it PROPERLY.....so many people dont, you really do need to do it for a MINIMUM of 20 seconds and use friction....most don't....And yes many health professionals dont as well....thats why many hospitals have "spies" that watch for medical folks not washing their hands properly....not washing ones hands leads to $$$$$$ and deaths...it really does. So if you don' care about yourself..fine....but do it for others that depend on a clean environment (elderly..,those going thru cancer treatment, etc etc)

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I dont listen to social media fear mongering. I look at the facts.
Screenshot_20200312-061310_Samsung Internet.jpg
The fact is that if you are over 80 years old you have a 15% chance of death in you contract the virus. If you are a healthy person my age that death rate is 0.2%. Much like Sars, this virus is only dangerous to the sick and elderly. 76% of the 109 canadians infected are over 49 amd only 1 of those people have died. If I lived in an overpopulated country and was an 80 year old man I might be affraid but from where I sit this is all just media hype for ratings. A scared population is easier to manipulate.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One of the funniest things read to me by my wife from Facebook was that the coronavirus was made in a lab by the illuminati to use as population control. These are the fears being planted in peoples minds?
If that were true they did a terrible job, its not killing anywhere near enough people for that. People have to stop blindly believing everything they read online. Filter through the opinions and unsubstantiated claims to find actual facts and the grand picture suddenly looks a lot less scary.

·
Registered
554 Posts
yes one should be looking at reputable sites....such as the CDC Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Pretty sure the NBA isnt temp closing down for no good reason....besides it being boring to watch in the first place,lol Will see what the NHL plans to do later on today. NHL just cancelled all morning skates....conference at 1pm....might have to talk to wife prior to June this year.,.....lol

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Both my wife and daughter are physicians. They are taking this most recent COVID-19 scare with a shrug. One of the positive aspects of it is awakening the needed discussion of personal hygiene. Now more and more people are actually washing their hands on a regular basis, and washing them correctly. More people are sanitizing objects that are routinely touched such as shopping cart handles, door knobs etc. My wife has to take multiple flights next week and it is nice seeing airports getting a good scrub down and disinfecting as well as the airplanes themselves. People get sick, run a fever etc, now they stay their asses home instead of coming to work and spreading to all their co-workers. One thing to remember about the COVID-19. You catch the regular flue; the average dork will spread the infection to around 9 or so other people. You catch the coronavirus; you'll spread the infection to around 250+ other people. Yep, the regular flu infects and kills thousands of people annually throughout the US and Canada and on a much wider sprectrum of communities and ages. Hopefully all these precautions being used to curtail the COVID-19 virus will be effective in curtailing the other spectrum's of virus's floating around out there.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
My question is though: If you catch the Corona-virus twice, does that make it the Dos Equis virus?

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yes one should be looking at reputable sites....such as the CDC Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Pretty sure the NBA isnt temp closing down for no good reason....besides it being boring to watch in the first place,lol Will see what the NHL plans to do later on today. NHL just cancelled all morning skates....conference at 1pm....might have to talk to wife prior to June this year.,.....lol
The NBA is suspending their season because one of their players tested positive and they are afraid. Just like everyone else. My point is that in my opinion the fear is a wild fire fed by the constant media coverage. Media has always preyed on our fears, that's how they earn their pay. Actual danger doesnt matter anymore, its percieved danger that reigns now. The media tells less stories about people who contracted the virus and are completely fine and decides to focus on death. If you are unlucky enough to be in the fraction of a percentile of the population that actually contract the virus you have, at worst case, an 85% chance of being just fine. Thats the statistics people should be focusing on

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Scared and prepared are two different things. I prefer prepared.

The usual advice: be careful, wash hands, use hand sanitizer, etc.. Well, we've done those things anyway. As a recently retired martial arts school owner I always had a stock of sanitizer in the back room for me and the staff, because we were always in daily contact with students of all ages. It works....we rarely got sick.

But...We are not taking this lightly. It stops being funny when it starts being you.

My wife and I looked at each other and realized, hey, we are senior citizens now. Higher risk.
Besides working in respiratory, my daughter is also pregnant. Higher risk.
Her husband is a paramedic/first responder. Higher risk.
My other daughter lives near Philadelphia where cases have already sprung up. Higher risk.
My wife is a cancer survivor still under medication, that means her immune system is already compromised. Higher risk.

It turns out that in a family of otherwise apparently healthy people, every single one of us is still at a higher risk than the general population.
So, we're careful and hope that others employ the same care.
Just because someone else is at low risk, doesn't mean they shouldn't take simple measures and suffer minor inconveniences to help protect others.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I think it's in the semantics. What I am referencing is the translation that says your average person with the season flu is expected to infest approx 9 other people during the course of his/her infection cycle whereas someone with the COVID-19 has the capacity to infect 250. According to Johns Hopkins, who is the source both my wife and daughter typically use, the COVID-19's "RO" or infection rate is 2-3.11, which you are correct, is close to 2.5 whereas the seasonal flu is typically around a 1.3. Significant difference. Sorry if my numbers were confusing.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
To clarify, I am not saying that people shouldnt take normal steps to protect themselves, especially if they are at a higher risk. What I am saying is that the whole "pandemic" (if you really want to call it that) is being blown way out of proportion causing people to lose sight of simple logic and common sense. It sounds like a scene from "World War Z". The mass majority of the population has nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
554 Posts
beautiful day here in Baltimore..15C will be a nice ride home.....beer is in the fridge...not Corona though,lol

1 - 20 of 102 Posts