Honda Shadow Forums banner

41 - 60 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
11,037 Posts
A virus that spreads quickly runs its course quickly as well. The fear and irrationality surrounding this virus is causing far more damage than the virus itself. Canada has over 37 million residents, of those there are under 300 cases of Coronavirus. 80% of the cases in canada are from people who traveled to infected areas. Another 10% are people who had close contact with those travelers. There are no cases for 600 kms in any direction from where I live. I can all but guarantee that no one I know will be affected.
They had the same mentality in Europe, despite warnings. 398 deaths in one day in Italy. It's not all about you. Just because you are good in your little corner of the world doesn't mean everyone is, and doesn't mean the warnings are overblown. 398 deaths.....in one day.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
I'm 57 and have severe COPD and emphysema. I went to my lung doctor last week and she told me I don't want no part if that crap! She told me when schools close I'm to stay home as well. All public schools are now closed for the next 2 week's and by sheer coincidence I have vacation time scheduled for the next 2 week's. The ladies in my garage are gonna get some love now!

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
It is pretty easy to say "I'm alright Jack".
I look upon the virus infection as a wheel of fortune I don't particularly want to spin.
Despite better than 97% odds of survival in my case, the 3% is calling someone.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Well my wife turned 60 earlier this year. She is a healthy runner, in about as good of shape as any woman half her age an be, but I worry. She is a doctor. Semi-retired but now is going in to help out at a testing lab and agreed to work two shifts a week at the local ER. To be honest, I was against her working the ER, but I only carried 49% of the vote on that issue. My oldest daughter is a doctor as well. As others have said, it's not so much the healthy individuals we need to worry about. If they contract the virus, they'll probably fight it off without any long term issues. It's the people they spread the virus to and the people they spread it to and so on and so on. Sooner or later that virus will find it's way to so someone susceptible, someone who can't fight it off. That's what my wife is out there fighting against. That's why the government and businesses are slowly shutting down to isolate themselves and it's not a bad idea. Sometimes an abundance of caution isn't a bad thing.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
The thing with the grocery stores is easy to poke fun at, but it is also reality. The vast majority of people are not prepared to spend 2+ weeks isolated in their own home. They don't have pantries stocked full enough. I was told years ago that I should have three months worth of average wages available in cash, and be fully prepared to go a minimum of two weeks with no electricity anywhere. Think about it. Two weeks without any gas stations being able to pump fuel. Two weeks of no grocery stores being able to ring up groceries. Nothing... nada. A lot of people are seeing the potential of being self isolated at home and they realize they're not prepared for it. Funny part is, the folks running around trying to get prepared have no clue how to go about doing it and don't know what to purchase. As others have said, all the toilet paper and sanitizer is gone, but plenty of good old fashioned hand and dish soap is available.
I'll admit, I ran to the store Saturday to stock up. A couple extra bags of coffee, a couple of cases of beer and some steaks for the grill went into the cart.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
My wife is afraid of everything. Fraught with constant anxiety and she is fairly certain that the world is going to end sometime during our lifetime. As a result my house is well stocked already. We have enough food to last months, 20 5 gallon bottles of clean drinking water even though we are on a private well and have no concern about running out of water. I have a very large generator and a stock of fuel for it. Our acreage is securely fenced and gated. I am prepared for anything but feel that its completely unnecessary.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I guess people dont panic till after 8 am in the Maryland region.....I went to the store at 6 am, not many people around..of course the shelves were somewhat empty, but I was able to get the few items I required.

Maryland governor just announced restaurants..gyms..bars must close by 5 pm today....

·
Registered
11,037 Posts
The thing with the grocery stores is easy to poke fun at, but it is also reality. The vast majority of people are not prepared to spend 2+ weeks isolated in their own home. They don't have pantries stocked full enough. I was told years ago that I should have three months worth of average wages available in cash, and be fully prepared to go a minimum of two weeks with no electricity anywhere. Think about it. Two weeks without any gas stations being able to pump fuel. Two weeks of no grocery stores being able to ring up groceries. Nothing... nada. A lot of people are seeing the potential of being self isolated at home and they realize they're not prepared for it. Funny part is, the folks running around trying to get prepared have no clue how to go about doing it and don't know what to purchase. As others have said, all the toilet paper and sanitizer is gone, but plenty of good old fashioned hand and dish soap is available.
I'll admit, I ran to the store Saturday to stock up. A couple extra bags of coffee, a couple of cases of beer and some steaks for the grill went into the cart.
I saw one person who got it right.....cart of essentials, complimented with boxes of Ensure, some powdered baby formula, vitamins, and some other 'meal' in a can product (I cannot remember the name).

The full effect is hitting home for me....PA is closing all liquor stores as of tonight.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I need one more trip to the liquor store before I'm ready to bunker down! Not sure if the 6 fifths Of Pendleton and the 2 of scotch will be enough to get me through the panic. Maybe a couple more of each just to be on the safe side. Thinking about picking up a couple of bottles of the cheap stuff just in case I need to trade with the natives.........

·
Registered
11,037 Posts
I need one more trip to the liquor store before I'm ready to bunker down! Not sure if the 6 fifths Of Pendleton and the 2 of scotch will be enough to get me through the panic. Maybe a couple more of each just to be on the safe side. Thinking about picking up a couple of bottles of the cheap stuff just in case I need to trade with the natives.........
"...trade with the natives." lol.

Drove by this afternoon...people buying booze like they were going to the chair tomorrow morning.

·
Premium Member
8,697 Posts
Ahhh, Just make your peace with catching it. Prepare as if you don’t Want to catch it. And enjoy the hell out of the rest of your life! :0)

I was almost t-boned today. :( ..Time is promised to no-man. (;0)

Now, true-enough, the news isn’t good with this thing. Experts – not idiotic muppets – but, the real experts - those who have dedicated their entire lives studying, tracking and killing these bugs - them-guys! Those Guys have thrown out some pretty-scary numbers.. Your job is to not be among them.

Make it your job.

Respect the difference between “want” and “need”.. You don’t “need” much. You “need” shelter, food, water, and a plan for medical care. So, plan for that as best you can.

Know your enemy. Read all the science on this thing. The more you know about a thing – after you get over the shock of actually KNOWING - the less scary it becomes. Because you have tiny-bit of power over it – you can at-least properly exercise caution with this thing. You are not wasting resources with this thing – throwing rolls of TP at it; or wasting your time doing the wrong things trying to out-guess something you think you know because some hysterically yapping alarmist twonk “on a news show”, told you what to think regarding this whole palaver..

Unrestrained, This thing is supposed to peak Much later in the year. Then, when saturation reaches a critical level, risk is supposed to decrease. At best, sequestering, we are saving lives and slowing this thing way-way-down. That is all we are doing. Buying time while we do Our thing to prevent IT from quickly doing It’s thing. So get it in your heads that this is a long-term thing that requires long-term discipline to stay safe(r).

And it’s just a change in life - not the end of one life and the start of another.

You don’t have to re-learn to walk, or anything like that. Just change your thinking a tiny-bit.

Survival isn’t one big thing.

It’s lots of little things that you do every-day..

Stocking up? Dry-goods and stuff to make it taste good. Rice, Beans, Protein shakes, canned-goods, stock-cubes, power bars, staples and cereals, stock-up on vitamins, sore throat lozenges – don’t go mad, but assume you’ll get sick, buy some easy-to-digest food for a lower-level of that, and otherwise just extend your pantry’s buffer. Usually have 1 bag of rice in the pantry? ..get two more, ..when you use a bag, source another bag – try to keep three bags on the shelf (for example). But shop when crowds at the store are minimal.

It’s not ONE HuuuuuuUUUuGe trip to the store to load up six shopping carts in throngs of half-panicked and hyperventilating shoppers. It’s heading out first-thing, when all the sleepy-heads are dreaming of the massive scores they are going to make at the store during this year’s “Panic-a-Thon 2020”.

Stores are out of stuff? Well. Logic dictates that eventually all the "Preppers" will run-out of money, or realize that they ain’t dead yet and need to make car, cable, or mortgage payment - and when that happens, the stores will again be stocked to the rafters with all of what you might want.

But, either way, head to the store when the stores are quiet. Don’t stay too long. Avoid people best you can while being aware of your space, and move-out as quickly and as cleanly as you can. Snag a disinfectant cart-wipe on the way out of the door and wipe your hands as you exit, that kinda thing. It all adds-up to helping the cause.

Aaaaaand …You are not “roughing it”. ;0)

…You might not be able to score a Seasoned Fillet o’ Beef, today. But I bet you’ll be able to score something to eat. “Need” - ”Want”, there are real differences between the-two.. ..A man can eat well off a good-sized bag of rice, vegetables, and potatoes - and get fat(er) even ;0)

Spend resources wisely.

…While others are dining on a fine-feast consisting of Asbestos-Laced Anti-Itch Butt Cream spread demurely on rolls of Charmin, and gagging all that down with jugs of Distilled Water in their lean-to under some interstate overpass, you could be riding things out in the comfort of your own house! Dining on Rice, Vegetables, and Beans! Hey!, add a splash of tomato sauce, some fancy spices y’know, “salt” and “pepper-even” ;0), vitamins for desert! You can make an amazing amount of food even on low budgets.

Water? If you have a Tap. And if you really-think you are going to need to, You can filter it. It’s much more cost-effective over the long-haul.

If you are on well-water, micro-testing is pretty-simple, you know that. Most people can check for e.coli or other harmful bacteria present in water-batches they filter themselves. Learn how to use water testing kits or “Biopaddles”, or the like - if you are using suspect water sources. Test batches of water after you have created them. But? Tap water? I doubt the tap will ever run dry. And partially filtered tap-water is still better for you – generally - than distilled water over the long-term (for example).

Toilet Paper.. Hands up all those who have changed a diaper! Out of TP? Washcloth time!! Many places in the world actually use a rag, or washcloth - they don’t have the inclination or even resources for much of anything else. You don’t need to build yourself a tower of TP. You are not going to NEED that much of it – worse case, you run out - there are cheap, effective, and sustainable options.

Medical. Assuming you get a fever, acetaminophen, easy to digest foods / nutrition. Snag a few electrolyte drinks. Stock up a-little on salt and sugar. Multivitamins etc. Don’t go mad. Most people won’t need more than that IF they catch this thing. The rest. Have a plan. Have an emergency contact. A buddy system. You don’t have to share each-other’s couch, if you live by yourself just have back-up on call if you need it.

Sanitary. Soap, Alcohol, Bleach, – Shop-rags etc..

First aid kit - assume you’ll cut your arm off peeling a potato and at-least have as much as you need to staunch the flow of 5w40. ;0)

Help another out. Everybody knows some Old-Dear who might need a-little extra care and consideration. Make a friend, if you are heading to the store anyway, give them a call, ask if they want you to pick-up a few items for them. You can still practice social distancing while doing so. And, Sure! …You can be selfish if you like. You put yourself first as you can’t do any-good if you don’t, I get that; but if you can help with little-to-no additional risk to you. Do Help.

Have a plan for all eventualities.. Had “the talk” with my Wife a few days ago. :0/ …made them aware of what she needs to do, IF.. You don’t dwell on these things, or need to make things overly-morbid since we are more likely than not getting out of all this alive - but it’s better to have plan for even the worse eventualities - y’know, just in case some f’kin’-rat-basta’d-elk steps-out in front of you while you are out riding your bike or whatnot!! ..Because one-thing is for absolute sure. If this thing doesn’t get you, something else – maybe with antlers :oops: - sooner or later – will. So. Make a good plan, and have the talk, so they are protected.

Have Cash on Hand. Keep your gas-tank filled.

Walkie talkies!! …You’ll likely never need them, but, Just in case – especially if you are out in the boonies.

Stuff like ^^^…that.

Mental health.. Yeah-Yeah-Yeah! :cautious: ..but, exercise, keep fit. Go outside and get some fresh air, turn off the Babbling BS Artists on TV and read a book. Watch a funny movie, cast an eye only to a real source of information, but, don’t dwell on those sources. You’ll go crazy.

But do exercise and do get out – go for a walk, run, and clear your head once in a while.

I have this feeling that things will settle-down soon into some dull, ???? ...heightened amount of social stress and anxiety. ..So, be a-little more friendly to people. People WILL be hurting over this; and adding to their stress levels doesn’t further your-own cause. Not-at-all.

Be smart, be vigilant. Be a-little selfish. Don’t waste your resources. Make a plan, and a backup plan, and, …Enjoy Your Life!! There was only-ever a finite amount of it! …So, come what-may, make the most of it.

From Me and Mine? …All The Best to You and Yours!
Take it Easy, Guys and Gals. :0)

·
Registered
11,037 Posts
Ahhh, Just make your peace with catching it. Prepare as if you don’t Want to catch it. And enjoy the hell out of the rest of your life! :0)

I was almost t-boned today. :( ..Time is promised to no-man. (;0)

Now, true-enough, the news isn’t good with this thing. Experts – not idiotic muppets – but, the real experts - those who have dedicated their entire lives studying, tracking and killing these bugs - them-guys! Those Guys have thrown out some pretty-scary numbers.. Your job is to not be among them.

Make it your job.

Respect the difference between “want” and “need”.. You don’t “need” much. You “need” shelter, food, water, and a plan for medical care. So, plan for that as best you can.

Know your enemy. Read all the science on this thing. The more you know about a thing – after you get over the shock of actually KNOWING - the less scary it becomes. Because you have tiny-bit of power over it – you can at-least properly exercise caution with this thing. You are not wasting resources with this thing – throwing rolls of TP at it; or wasting your time doing the wrong things trying to out-guess something you think you know because some hysterically yapping alarmist twonk “on a news show”, told you what to think regarding this whole palaver..

Unrestrained, This thing is supposed to peak Much later in the year. Then, when saturation reaches a critical level, risk is supposed to decrease. At best, sequestering, we are saving lives and slowing this thing way-way-down. That is all we are doing. Buying time while we do Our thing to prevent IT from quickly doing It’s thing. So get it in your heads that this is a long-term thing that requires long-term discipline to stay safe(r).

And it’s just a change in life - not the end of one life and the start of another.

You don’t have to re-learn to walk, or anything like that. Just change your thinking a tiny-bit.

Survival isn’t one big thing.

It’s lots of little things that you do every-day..

Stocking up? Dry-goods and stuff to make it taste good. Rice, Beans, Protein shakes, canned-goods, stock-cubes, power bars, staples and cereals, stock-up on vitamins, sore throat lozenges – don’t go mad, but assume you’ll get sick, buy some easy-to-digest food for a lower-level of that, and otherwise just extend your pantry’s buffer. Usually have 1 bag of rice in the pantry? ..get two more, ..when you use a bag, source another bag – try to keep three bags on the shelf (for example). But shop when crowds at the store are minimal.

It’s not ONE HuuuuuuUUUuGe trip to the store to load up six shopping carts in throngs of half-panicked and hyperventilating shoppers. It’s heading out first-thing, when all the sleepy-heads are dreaming of the massive scores they are going to make at the store during this year’s “Panic-a-Thon 2020”.

Stores are out of stuff? Well. Logic dictates that eventually all the "Preppers" will run-out of money, or realize that they ain’t dead yet and need to make car, cable, or mortgage payment - and when that happens, the stores will again be stocked to the rafters with all of what you might want.

But, either way, head to the store when the stores are quiet. Don’t stay too long. Avoid people best you can while being aware of your space, and move-out as quickly and as cleanly as you can. Snag a disinfectant cart-wipe on the way out of the door and wipe your hands as you exit, that kinda thing. It all adds-up to helping the cause.

Aaaaaand …You are not “roughing it”. ;0)

…You might not be able to score a Seasoned Fillet o’ Beef, today. But I bet you’ll be able to score something to eat. “Need” - ”Want”, there are real differences between the-two.. ..A man can eat well off a good-sized bag of rice, vegetables, and potatoes - and get fat(er) even ;0)

Spend resources wisely.

…While others are dining on a fine-feast consisting of Asbestos-Laced Anti-Itch Butt Cream spread demurely on rolls of Charmin, and gagging all that down with jugs of Distilled Water in their lean-to under some interstate overpass, you could be riding things out in the comfort of your own house! Dining on Rice, Vegetables, and Beans! Hey!, add a splash of tomato sauce, some fancy spices y’know, “salt” and “pepper-even” ;0), vitamins for desert! You can make an amazing amount of food even on low budgets.

Water? If you have a Tap. And if you really-think you are going to need to, You can filter it. It’s much more cost-effective over the long-haul.

If you are on well-water, micro-testing is pretty-simple, you know that. Most people can check for e.coli or other harmful bacteria present in water-batches they filter themselves. Learn how to use water testing kits or “Biopaddles”, or the like - if you are using suspect water sources. Test batches of water after you have created them. But? Tap water? I doubt the tap will ever run dry. And partially filtered tap-water is still better for you – generally - than distilled water over the long-term (for example).

Toilet Paper.. Hands up all those who have changed a diaper! Out of TP? Washcloth time!! Many places in the world actually use a rag, or washcloth - they don’t have the inclination or even resources for much of anything else. You don’t need to build yourself a tower of TP. You are not going to NEED that much of it – worse case, you run out - there are cheap, effective, and sustainable options.

Medical. Assuming you get a fever, acetaminophen, easy to digest foods / nutrition. Snag a few electrolyte drinks. Stock up a-little on salt and sugar. Multivitamins etc. Don’t go mad. Most people won’t need more than that IF they catch this thing. The rest. Have a plan. Have an emergency contact. A buddy system. You don’t have to share each-other’s couch, if you live by yourself just have back-up on call if you need it.

Sanitary. Soap, Alcohol, Bleach, – Shop-rags etc..

First aid kit - assume you’ll cut your arm off peeling a potato and at-least have as much as you need to staunch the flow of 5w40. ;0)

Help another out. Everybody knows some Old-Dear who might need a-little extra care and consideration. Make a friend, if you are heading to the store anyway, give them a call, ask if they want you to pick-up a few items for them. You can still practice social distancing while doing so. And, Sure! …You can be selfish if you like. You put yourself first as you can’t do any-good if you don’t, I get that; but if you can help with little-to-no additional risk to you. Do Help.

Have a plan for all eventualities.. Had “the talk” with my Wife a few days ago. :0/ …made them aware of what she needs to do, IF.. You don’t dwell on these things, or need to make things overly-morbid since we are more likely than not getting out of all this alive - but it’s better to have plan for even the worse eventualities - y’know, just in case some f’kin’-rat-basta’d-elk steps-out in front of you while you are out riding your bike or whatnot!! ..Because one-thing is for absolute sure. If this thing doesn’t get you, something else – maybe with antlers :oops: - sooner or later – will. So. Make a good plan, and have the talk, so they are protected.

Have Cash on Hand. Keep your gas-tank filled.

Walkie talkies!! …You’ll likely never need them, but, Just in case – especially if you are out in the boonies.

Stuff like ^^^…that.

Mental health.. Yeah-Yeah-Yeah! :cautious: ..but, exercise, keep fit. Go outside and get some fresh air, turn off the Babbling BS Artists on TV and read a book. Watch a funny movie, cast an eye only to a real source of information, but, don’t dwell on those sources. You’ll go crazy.

But do exercise and do get out – go for a walk, run, and clear your head once in a while.

I have this feeling that things will settle-down soon into some dull, ???? ...heightened amount of social stress and anxiety. ..So, be a-little more friendly to people. People WILL be hurting over this; and adding to their stress levels doesn’t further your-own cause. Not-at-all.

Be smart, be vigilant. Be a-little selfish. Don’t waste your resources. Make a plan, and a backup plan, and, …Enjoy Your Life!! There was only-ever a finite amount of it! …So, come what-may, make the most of it.

From Me and Mine? …All The Best to You and Yours!
Take it Easy, Guys and Gals. :0)
Glad to see you're still kickin' around here. But next time you post anything, please, don't hold back...;)

·
Premium Member
8,697 Posts
Glad to see you're still kickin' around here. But next time you post anything, please, don't hold back...;)
:rolleyes: ...Oh hell, you know me, Vito! ”..Succinct” ain’t nobody - Ever - in the history of forumin’, ever accused me of bein’ that! 😀

I might get to be on a-little more if all these pangolin shenanigans and their high-stakes tomfoolery keeps up!

I could take time off work!! ...hey, we make the best of the hands we’re dealt. :0)

All the Best, Buddy!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Honestly I haven’t been paying much mind to any of the crap going on, I’m a pretty clean person with decent morals so I respect everyone and their stance on the issue the nation is facing...

Today I rode to my local Cigar shop to pick up some sticks for the week... they were open but doors closed, had to call the shop from the sidewalk outside and spend 20 minutes explaining what I wanted to the owner. He got my stuff, put it in a bag and asked me to set my payment inside the door he just unlocked. Didn’t complain, waited patiently and talked with the owner as I was leaving about how grateful I was that he was willing to go the extra mile to remain both open and safe.

Look I get it, **** has hit the fan and as someone with an immune compromised organ transplant family member I respect all of the steps people are taking to help maintain sanity during this event.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
:rolleyes: ...Oh hell, you know me, Vito! ”..Succinct” ain’t nobody - Ever - in the history of forumin’, ever accused me of bein’ that! 😀

I might get to be on a-little more if all these pangolin shenanigans and their high-stakes tomfoolery keeps up!

I could take time off work!! ...hey, we make the best of the hands we’re dealt. :0)

All the Best, Buddy!
translation please:whistle: Did he just call someone a name?????

·
Premium Member
8,697 Posts
translation please:whistle: Did he just call someone a name?????
..... I would never! 🙃

Hmmmmm ...Just a warning to those who watch the video, below.

There is some pretty-spooky-stuff being discussed here.

Stuff about this current thing. What it is. What it isn’t. How it got started and it‘s real potential for destruction. ...and ...also other things - “things” that make this current thing appear pretty-tame. So, a person might not want to watch it if they want to ride this one out for as long as it has legs, and in an overly-optimistic fashion. ..and, I wish I was more that type sometimes myself.

...Then, we're also, all of us, grown-ups. And it is kinda interesting how the mechanics of these things work.

I have never given these things much thought and would never have guessed just how easy it is for these things to become a reality and gain real traction and under which mundane types of circumstances.

Again. It’s not the type of information most people would rather know, especially right now. But it is information from a person who really seems to know their stuff, and it regards this thing which has been cast quite flippantly by many unqualified entertainment sources.

·
Premium Member
8,697 Posts
....Having watched that (or not), Google, Tom Hanks! 🙂 ..search out survivor stories, as most all - the VAST majority of all cases will follow such as those.

They will be stories of hope.

41 - 60 of 102 Posts