Honda Shadow Forums banner

61 - 80 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
I think this is a real problem. I'm healthy 39 , wife and kids all healthy, will I pull through this , yeah i'm sure I will. My parents are in their upper 60s, i'm slightly afraid for them but they are both very healthy and fit. My wife's parents on the other hand.. Her dad is 100% going to die if he gets this, her mom 80% sure she will pass if it gets to her. Following proper quarantine , we are all doing it at home, My folks also , he parents, nope. Her dad works front line at a commercial products supplier, goes to the grocery store every day, has had multiple hear attacks and is at high risk of pneumonia, last month he was hospitalized for 3 weeks for it.

This is a real problem, and the more we ignore it the worse it gets.

·
Registered
16,512 Posts
Apparently there`s plenty afraid of the big bad bug...
Many measures are being taken to protect us from it...
Drive thru ONLY at fast foods, Seniors ONLY during the first hour of opening at our local stores, Schools shut down, hospitals turning waway patients and visitors, etc...
WOW!!
Dennis

·
Registered
11,037 Posts
..... I would never! 🙃

Hmmmmm ...Just a warning to those who watch the video, below.

There is some pretty-spooky-stuff being discussed here.

Stuff about this current thing. What it is. What it isn’t. How it got started and it‘s real potential for destruction. ...and ...also other things - “things” that make this current thing appear pretty-tame. So, a person might not want to watch it if they want to ride this one out for as long as it has legs, and in an overly-optimistic fashion. ..and, I wish I was more that type sometimes myself.

...Then, we're also, all of us, grown-ups. And it is kinda interesting how the mechanics of these things work.

I have never given these things much thought and would never have guessed just how easy it is for these things to become a reality and gain real traction and under which mundane types of circumstances.

Again. It’s not the type of information most people would rather know, especially right now. But it is information from a person who really seems to know their stuff, and it regards this thing which has been cast quite flippantly by many unqualified entertainment sources.
I watched and actually liked that it was just a presentation of facts and information, rather than the staged gloom and doom with carefully selected words and facial expressions designed to elicit fear in people, like on the news.

·
Premium Member
8,697 Posts
I watched and actually liked that it was just a presentation of facts and information, rather than the staged gloom and doom with carefully selected words and facial expressions designed to elicit fear in people, like on the news.
And He's Still Alive Too!! .. Made his life's work chasing these super-bugs around the globe, and he's still kicking!!

Hope for us all, then, yeah?

Don't get me started on the "news".. Always ginning-up Fear Levels and peddling Phony Outrage - they seem to spit-out not-much more than any-little-thing that gets an exaggerated human reaction these days.

Of course, from a sales/ad revenue aspect, that's good business, I guess. .. Shock, Outrage, Fear.. People tune in constantly - hitting refresh all day long - just boosting the outlet's ad revenue stream.

:unsure: ...I sometimes wish I was a real type-evil, scumbag. I could make a mint!! :0)

Anyhoos ...Up-to Whomever, but, me? ..I wouldn't get too caught up on any major news outlets coverage of this thing - it's bad enough as-is without those guys constantly ginning-up this insanity with the blow-by-blow national horror of it.

What I found, is that our local newspaper - our very-own online town rag, was a much better and more down-to-earth source of info on this subject, as they aren't always trying to gin-up fear. Our local (small town) local news outlet also keep us-locals in the loop regarding what we more specifically need to know.

The WHO website is a pretty-good source of info, too.

This especially:

^^^...good info here. Worth reading. It debunked a few of the more commonly peddled hysterical claims some are putting out there as possible, or true.

Another thing to consider, because sometimes context helps: On a good day, we lose over 7,400 people a day, here, in the USA.. All tragedies.

It's a consideration to keep in mind when major news outlets blare scary headlines associated with this thing. They don't seem to care too much about the death associated with anything but the latest thing that's out to get us.

Not trying to minimize the seriousness of this thing, as it's an undisputed train-wreck. But. Yeah..

"Major 'News' Outlets" .. :rolleyes: ..Phhhhh..

·
Registered
11,037 Posts
The number of confirmed cases in PA more than doubled since Wednesday. Our warehouse is considered essential since we service health care providers/hospitals, etc. Every truckload of sanitizer, cleaner, disinfectant, or toilet paper is sold before we unload and put away. I have one associate with COPD and I had to convince him to stay home. I'm paying him...because he has no choice, this virus will kill him if it gets to him. Our management team is worried about a week or two from now....if it hits our staff we will close the building down.

·
Registered
11,037 Posts
Plenty to consider if you think it's ok to get out and keep doing everything as if nothing is wrong. I am guessing that even though our facility is deemed 'essential', (we supply hospitals, nursing homes, health care providers, cleaning services with all maner of cleaners, sanitizers, germicides, and.....toilet paper), it is a matter of time before this thing creeps in and spreads though our facility and we close up.

·
Registered
16,512 Posts
I`m not going as much neither...
I do have COPD PLUS I injured my left Lung in my April 8 Deer vs motorcycle crash last year...
I see in the news the county I live in has two confirmed cases, I learned on tonites news...
SO > our AA birthday celebration/Fish fry next Friday has been canceled...
We normally feed 50+ at these fish fries...
My 30th sobriety birthday,
Dennis

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Stay safe @"Captain D", I've got age and a few health things that make me wish to avoid the virus too.
You want to help, but it's better to leave it to others and support them the best you can.
When things get right and predictable, then you can pitch back in.
Congrats on your 30 years of sobriety, I've beaten some of my demons and not others, that's a heck of an accomplishment.

·
Registered
16,512 Posts
Yeah @CSRoad thanks & the sign at a church on my way to town mentions "You can`t defeat demons you`re still hanging out with."
I`ll be doing what is being suggested > "Social distancing" is gonna be my thing for a spell,
Dennis
I have the church that`s been canceled to paint, and Ann has already disinfected it...
AND I`ve got other projects here on the farm to keep me busy for quite a while...
I`m gonna fill up everything that runs on and holds gas too ;)
Kinda quarantine ourselves from society,
Dennis

I got y`all :D

·
Premium Member
7,032 Posts
I've cut services to emergency calls only. So far only one case in the county I live in, but i'm only about 60 miles from Chicago so i'm buttoning down for the long haul. Masks, gloves, and alcohol wipes in the truck for good measure. You all stay safe!

·
Registered
16,512 Posts
Yeah @smilie they reported two in my county too...
Like I mentioned, I`m getting particular about who I hug and shake hands with...
I don`t need to be sick, what with my healing lung...

Stay SAFE Everyone,
Dennis

Ann & I ain`t afraid but we are serious & cautious about our health ...
IF I die from it, I`ll "Go prepare a place for you"

·
Registered
11,037 Posts
So.....these numbers should not be taken as 100% accurate, mostly because they are changing by the day. Shows just how nasty this 'big bad bug' really is.

The day this thread started - 1267 cases / 38 deaths. As of today, 11 days later - 32037 cases / 348 deaths.
That is a 2528% increase in cases and a 915% increase in deaths. We don't need to be afraid, but we do need to wake up and take this seriously.

And despite all warnings and advice...I got folks crowding me at the store because they are in a hurry. Six feet back and I got a lady..."Are you line? Could you move up?" I asked her if she had missed all the "stay 6 feet away" from people memo. Totally clueless.

·
Registered
16,512 Posts
Yeah @vito there`s too many stupid people out there...
And you know what they say about stupid, don`t ya?
You can`t fix stupid !!!
However, I have learned that you CAN put it in remission with a three foot 2X4 :D

Please everyone, Stay SAFE,
Dennis

There`s a 9pm - 6am Curfew and gatherings restrictions what are in effect in our county...
@ 8pm, I`m at home already...

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
It's funny, I've had to go in to own more the last week or so than normal. Working on a couple of different projects and you know how it is; 3 trips to the hardware store per project. I'm maintaining that average, that's for sure. In my area, it reminds me of the Christmas holidays. People seem a little more gracious and polite. Traffic seems to be normal. Probably a good thing, but it feels funny not being able to grab a beer or ****tail when I am out in town, I guess I have to do my day drinking at home now. I'm getting more work done on weekends at least.
For whatever reason, I'm not losing any sleep over the big C-bug getting a hold of me. It's not bravado. I just can't can't work up a worry about it. I sure as heck don't want to be one of those folks all plugged into respirators having to have a machine breath for me but I've had enough things try to kill me over the course of the last 17 -18 years so if this little bug is the one that does, then I guess it sucks to be me.
Does anyone think we'll actually learn anything from this pandemic???? I doubt it seriously. If we're having to teach grown-assed adults how to wash their hands, then we've already lost. Most of us have pretty short memories. Once this thing has run its course we'll all be back where we started. Crowding up on people in lines. Coughing and sneezing in public all over the place with no care in the world and seldom to never washing our hands when out an about.
Hopefully once we're through this, all of us will have made it through without a couph or sniffle. Let's hope for good things.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I learned to go on the government web sites instead of all the news and rumors which are going on. I have heard everything from we are at full lockdown and stores guarded by the military to the water is contaminated. People are making stuff up so others won't go out and they'll feel safer when they go out. Facts are way less than the rumors on the issues at hand.

·
Registered
8,247 Posts
Lived in the country 43 yrs. of my life, 13 days w/o electricity during an ice storm, and numerous snow emergencies. This "bug" is serious but still a political sham. My biggest concern is my wife decided to change dog food (aka alarm system fuel) and its not working out to well but the systems still bark at the sound of gnat flying.

Went to pick up a firearm layaway last Wed., talk about hysteria. Took me 1.5 hrs. to get my purchase out the door. Half the pistol selection gone, major ammo calibers gone, and long guns quickly disappearing.

Had to go to Sam's to get ground beef supply, gone. Bought a 8 lb. sirloin tip @ $2.99 a lb. and grind my own. Usually GB is $3.20+ a lb. for "non pink fill" variety (vacuum packed from manufacturer). GS is one of best burgers ever IMO.

Going to get gas cans filled up @ $1.82 locally and some kerosene for the Kerosun in the garage. Valkyrie maintenance is about to start soon. Time to get to projects long overdue but the weather is still holding on to winter so I can't kick my 4600 Ford out the garage for the season for needed floor space.

Mushroom season is on the rise too!

Yesterday I became officially retired according to SSI as my Medicare part B is official! Biggest problem being retired, is remembering what day it is :) thus missing senior/pandemic hour at the local grocery 8-9 am on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Getting acquainted with Netflix. Catching up on the Longmire series and started watching the comedy The Ranch. Friggin' hilarious and very identifiable to me.

·
Registered
8,247 Posts
Glad to see you're still kickin' around here. But next time you post anything, please, don't hold back...;)
:D:D:D Funny to see both of you show up during this time of madness to add to it! :p

61 - 80 of 102 Posts