Honda Shadow Forums banner

81 - 100 of 195 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,777 Posts
:D:D:D Funny to see both of you show up during this time of madness to add to it! :p
..Well, you know what it is? ..I'm a member of another forum - professional musicians mainly - not overly invested in that one, and I keep participation to a minimum there - which works out fine by me as I have had to limit my time on these things.. ..But... over-there - they are all coming unglued over this thing!!! ...and it isn't even out of the gate yet!!

I might not be around as much, but I still read the posts here; and this Grizzled Biker Forum seems just a little more down-to-earth with this thing.

Yeah. Take precautions. Do your best to avoid this thing. It isn't pleasant. But - and like the man says - all you can do is your best to be prepared and to keep safe. Anything past that is dangerously approaching pointlessly flipping your wig and throwing a thrombo. ..And - Also like the man says - if this thing gets to you, ..it was "just the thing that did" (and, Guaranteed. Something was gonna get you sooner or later).

Make your peace with this thing - do take it seriously. Because you can - for the most part - avoid it.

It's not some pissed-off pooch looking for an ass to chomp on. This thing isn't out to get anybody. It's like wet-paint you can many-times choose to avoid getting on you IF you are paying attention. Good information will help you avoid it. So practice due diligence, but enjoy your life.

Seems like the "enjoying your life" bit is getting lost many-places.. For the time being, this is gonna be an adjustment to the status quo. It isn't all things. It's just another hill to climb in life for the time being. Eventually we will be on the other side of it.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
skating near the politics line ... and this is NOT intended to be a political statement (@Spiritman if I crossed the line, just punt me, not the thread please)

I hope people are coming to the realization that the only entity (outside of their personal higher power) that they can depend on is themselves. The government can't do it. I've been employed by the government in one shape or the other for my entire adult life and I'm here to tell you, they are too dang big to be able to be there for the individual guy or gal. It's not political affiliation or anything of that nature that matters, the government is just too big and clunky to be able to adjust to something like this current crisis.

If you want to reduce your odds of catching this bug, reduce the time you are around other people and increase the time you spend cleaning. YOU need to wash your own hands.

If you own a mom and pop business and you are shut down right now due to this thing, take a look at your business and take this as an opportunity to do improvements.

If you are stuck at home, what better time to change the oil in your bike, get some polish on the shiny stuff... maybe do that dreaded chain maintenance you've been putting off.

Back in the day when my rich Uncle Sam sent me off to various crap holes, we had the phrases "embrace the suck" and "maintain your PMA (Positive Mental Attitude). Those phrases are just as relevant here in the civilized world as well. My wife attended her church service this last Sunday on her I-pad. She remarked on how it was "different" but also on how she didn't need to get dressed up and didn't have to drive anywhere. She found the positives. Who knows, maybe some of us will even use this opportunity to do something good for someone else one time... maybe do one thing better to help out our fellow man, just don't hold your breath for the government to do it, doesn't matter what country you call home. It ain't gonna happen.

Off my soapbox .... for now....

·
Registered
2007 VT750DC Spirit “chopper”
697 Posts
So, I reference to the big bad bug and how it’s currently spreading, I read some information from the UK that breaks it down like this.

For the standard Flu that humans are generally vaccinated against, the rate of transmission person to person is something like 1.4:1, so every one person infects 14 others, and so on... so if you carry this out ten layers over it ends up being some 10,000+ people who get infected theoretically because of a single person having a virus.

Now compare that to the current state of Covid19, the rate of person to person transmission is over 3:1 so when you carry it out ten times over eventually 55,000+ people are infected because of one person.

...makes ya think.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
In a funny kind of ha ha manner, I think I might invest in a couple of motorcycle parts shops. I'm thinkin' with the number of people stuck home they are going to get bored and start tearing in to their bikes. Maybe start doing some mods they've been thinking about and using youtube as their guide. Should start seeing an increase in new members as they come by to figure out how to fix what they just screwed up!

·
Registered
2019 Honda Shadow 750 Aero
265 Posts
So, I reference to the big bad bug and how it’s currently spreading, I read some information from the UK that breaks it down like this.

For the standard Flu that humans are generally vaccinated against, the rate of transmission person to person is something like 1.4:1, so every one person infects 14 others, and so on... so if you carry this out ten layers over it ends up being some 10,000+ people who get infected theoretically because of a single person having a virus.

Now compare that to the current state of Covid19, the rate of person to person transmission is over 3:1 so when you carry it out ten times over eventually 55,000+ people are infected because of one person.

...makes ya think.
.I'm not so sure about that math. It must be that metric thing.

·
Registered
16,645 Posts
We aren`t taking this thing lightly...
We`re going through precautionary steps and keeping ourselves free from Covid19 hopefully...

Stay SAFE,
Dennis
We`re CDC compliant

We`ve completely cleaned the AA clubhouse, the wife`s church and we`re keeping our distance from the "bug"

·
Premium Member
8,777 Posts
I have had online businesses since the beginning of the internet (pretty-much). Had a search engine up and running a few months before Google came online - talk about timing - those guys nailed it. ....Sometimes you gotta know-when-to fold’em. :sneaky:

...Our current online venture, I had started for my Wife about 15 years ago, which - might not be my idea of a guy’s work, but, worked-out, and keeps us busy.

Anyhoo.. just bought another .com address this morning. Just in case things slow down to the point I have too much time on my hands.

I figure, maybe we could publish stories of hope on this whole thing as an offset to the retail news outlets stirring-up panic by always hitting F3 on the horror of it.

Watching many people panic and fall to pieces regarding this thing, which, seemingly, more revolves around bad information or no information/no positive information, I think there needs to be more places of good information online; links to helpful and uplifting news and resources, and a place, mainly, for positive stories of recovery.

Not gonna mention the address here. Never will either. ..not for profit. Obviously. It only costs about sixty-five bucks a month to publish a website. So! ...You’ll stumble upon it, or not.

It’s just something I can do.

And it doesn’t really cost me anything other than my time.

...Paled by comparison by mentions on this thread of Wives and Daughters putting themselves on the front line of this thing to help others. Which is ...True selflessness.

Not everybody is internet savvy. Or have the skills to sacrifice their time on the front lines of this thing. But Others will choose to do other things to help out. And I’m utterly certain that they will.

This thing isn’t out of the gate yet. When it gets legs, it has the potential to be a version of NYC, everywhere. There will be a lot of people hurting. And if You can help. Do help. Even if it’s just a neighbor.

There’re no pats on the back with this thing. But, we do have to work together to accomplish big things. For all the petty BS and distracting noise that divides us, It’s going to take us all coming together - as best we can - and doing what we can, to help alleviate the effects of this thing.

We can argue another day about how to effect exactly the same things in our lives “happiness” and “contentment“. ...But for now, our lives are linked to a greater society, and our lives will only improve with the lives of others.

And we can all work towards that goal, do our part, when we can.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Very very funny,go back to the original page people mention 80 cases...lol !!! Now NYC alone over 30,000 !! I got a "part time" at a...ready for it....?? Nursing Home,of all places !! OMG what crappy timing,eh??

·
Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
1,266 Posts
In a funny kind of ha ha manner, I think I might invest in a couple of motorcycle parts shops. I'm thinkin' with the number of people stuck home they are going to get bored and start tearing in to their bikes. Maybe start doing some mods they've been thinking about and using youtube as their guide. Should start seeing an increase in new members as they come by to figure out how to fix what they just screwed up!
Doesn't that happen when the pipes are upgraded, new flow through air filter and now the carb needs work to make it run right? It won't start or many other things I see on the forum from modifications. I have one bike with an inline 4 where people consistently try to modify them, including an engineer. The final results were that with that particular high rpm engine (4 cylinder) any change from stock is a downgrade in performance. The shadows do sound great with a couple of small mods at a time but I would never jump in head first changing everything at once like I have read about so many times.

·
Premium Member
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
2,477 Posts
The shadows do sound great with a couple of small mods at a time but I would never jump in head first changing everything at once like I have read about so many times.
That is a thing I learned early with motorsport, sometimes you can't of course, but too many variables can murder troubleshooting what could have been a good idea.
The other thing is to listen to other people's experiences, I don't know how many times I wasted time and money due to bullheadedness.
I think in part in my case it was youth, what's that they say? "Every generation thinks it is the first one to discover sex."

·
Registered
84 VT500C retro bobber
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Things have gotten bat **** crazy out there! People are in a panic and I still dont get why. This is not the first pandemic nor the worst that the human race has seen. I heard a report stating predictions that the world could see 20 to 40 million deaths from COVID19. In 1918 the flu infected a third of the worlds population and killed upwards of 50 million people, at a time when the world population was less than a quarter of what it is now. Small pox has killed somewhere between 200 and 500 miliion through various outbreaks over time and was even allegedly weaponized by the British in the 1700's. Even more recently the AIDs epidemic in Africa killed 36 million between 2005 and 2012.
In time this whole thing will be just another footnote in a medical textbook.

·
Registered
1999 Aero 1100
76 Posts
Things have gotten bat **** crazy out there! People are in a panic and I still dont get why. This is not the first pandemic nor the worst that the human race has seen. I heard a report stating predictions that the world could see 20 to 40 million deaths from COVID19. In 1918 the flu infected a third of the worlds population and killed upwards of 50 million people, at a time when the world population was less than a quarter of what it is now. Small pox has killed somewhere between 200 and 500 miliion through various outbreaks over time and was even allegedly weaponized by the British in the 1700's. Even more recently the AIDs epidemic in Africa killed 36 million between 2005 and 2012.
I would give anything to be up near you, especially if I had an ice racing bike and my iceboat. But negotiating the petri-dish that is going out in public to see what's available on the shelves, and what's not is scary. Hypochondriac is the new state of feeling. Many I know, myself included have had symptoms: a weird brick in my upper left lung that does not move, occasional fever that passed quickly, sore throat and burning eye lid tips. There are definitely people walking around shopping with symptoms. Most of the symptoms are subtle and puzzling, kind of wonder if this is it or will it get worse. I'm not the usually the cleanest guy, but I am now, washing and wiping everything that is in my house, stair rails door handles, food everything. I understand your being puzzled, but to see peoples arrogance at ignoring the local reality is very upsetting. If I could, I would certainly transport myself and a bike far far away. It's not impossible to get along though, my shop is full of projects, and I ride my bike and don't stop, wear protective gear to buy anything, don't use cash, and be careful of anything that others touch, like pump handles. For now symptoms seem to have passed for me and friends, paranoia has not. Hope this helps give perspective on the weird situation. peace and Happy Motoring!

·
Registered
11,082 Posts
People are going nuts because none of them were around in 1918, or the late 1700's, and any epidemic in Africa is pretty much off of most people's radar.
I agree that there is a ton of hyperbole being thrown at us. And it is an election year here so both sides have to up the ante, which makes it even worse.
I'd rather see these precautions in place, mostly because we have never seen a virus that has such a big infectious 'window' or time frame, and more and more regular, healthy people are dying, not just those with compromised health, or the very old. Too many unknowns to sit back and do nothing.

·
Registered
16,645 Posts
Waiting is the worst of it...
Niece had to get tested this morning, she mightta got it from contact with some asshot she worked with who`s daughter tested positive and came to work...
WTHey???
I`m staying away from folks causeshe`s my niece and had been here recently...

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
I think in '68 people sat back and hoped the flu wouldn't kill them. Here in '20 we're trying to be a little more proactive. Who knows, maybe if things got shut down for a week or two back then only 100,000 people would of died vice a million. I don;t know. Too difficult for me to play what-if. Like @vito said, with this being an election year, there's a ton of misinformation and hyperbole out there. One thing is a fact though. There's a serious bug out there. Very infectious. It kills a large percentage of people it infects.

81 - 100 of 195 Posts