Honda Shadow Forums banner

161 - 180 of 180 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,765 Posts
dude!!! that's your shortest reply...... EVER!!!!

... I think Admin nominated me for a "Bandwidth Saver!" award on that one! :0)

...must ...try ...harder! :0)

·
Registered
11,052 Posts
Looks like we've all pretty much have become accustomed to this new norm. I had to run into the nearest "big" city the other day to pick up an essential item and it was hard to tell there's any kind of lock down judging by the traffic on the highway. Traffic was fairly normal for the day and time of day. One thing I did notice is the majority of traffic was moving quite a bit faster than normal. Places looked like the Fast and Furious was being filmed!
A friend of mine's wife works for the state parks service and she was saying that since all the parks are officially closed to overnight camping, there's been a huge increase in "pirate" camping and most of those people trash the place and don't clean up after themselves. I guess the mentality is if you don't pay to support the upkeep, why make an effort.....

Being surrounded by people in the health care industry, I hear stuff all the time and one point that is made often that rings true is why do we not see any PSA's or commercials or hear of any people making an effort to improve their own personal health? No attempt to preach, but why is it with a disease that predominately attacks the lungs or people with respiratory issues we don't hear of anyone talking about how this might be a good time to think about quitting smoking or stepping way from the chronic for a while?

What's up with this rat/snitch/tattle-tale society as well? People riding around filming other people they don't feel are complying with social distancing directives and then posting it on social media, calling the cops etc. A lady we know who owns her own salon had the cops called on her because someone saw her letting a possible patron into her establishment. WTF???
The press. They report now on all the manifestations of problems the Covid-19 virus causes. Lung issues, heart issues, blood issues, vision issues, brain issues. One study claimed the virus was responsible for the Lindberg baby kidnapping.

My favorite...the reports of possible meat shortages. Talk about a panic inducing report.

The snitch thing is due to the fact that human beings are the stupidest animals walking the earth. People take their masks off as soon as they leave a store, without sanitizing their hands first. They scratch their nose and rub their eyes. Then they call the cops because Mary might be cutting someone's hair.

Where is Chuck Norris when we need him? He could take care of this crap.

·
Registered
84 VT500C retro bobber
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #163
All this social distancing and virus fear mongering is an unprecedented occurrence in human history. We have never globally quarantined due to a virus before and yet the human race prevailed in the face of small pox, the Spanish flu, AIDs and countless other pandemics over the centuries. If we look through our history you see many times when a pandemic of this scale infects the world nut we soldiered through. People continued working and life went on.
The time span of these pandemics when left to their natural course is approximately two years in most instances. By all of our social distancing and economic suicide we havent killed any virus, we are just slowing its spread. Logically the only outcome of slowing the spread is prolonging the natural course of the virus. We are hedging all our bets on a antivirus that may never come. So if the natural time span it takes human beings to develop antibodies to a new virus is slowed we could be dragging this thing out for three or four years, maybe more.
I might be cold and my wife claims that I give zero ****s about anything but I think our best solution is to go about our lives, maybe take a little better care of ones own health, and take our chances with the virus. Yes people will die. People will die regardless. Right now the death rate is not as concerning to me as all the people who are out of work. The businesses who have already announced permanent closures and the many more to come. When all this hiding from microscopic organisms is done what will we be left with?
Someone can call the police on me if they wish but I will not sacrifice a career I spent decades building on the off chance that I might get sick so if anyone needs automotive work done I am, as always, open for business.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Seeing reports Italy may have had 1200 cases before the supposed date of "patient 0", (They have a lot of chinese living/working there and traveling back and forth.) which might explain why I was "sick as a dog" over the Christmas/new years holiday. Spent the holiday in my chair for a couple days, short of breath, and dry coughing. Had been through 3 "international" airports and on 4 different planes the 2 weeks before Christmas. Didn't go to the Dr. just some over the counter stuff. I remember thinking at the time it didn't feel like the normal flu. btw I'm 65.

It does appear the media is sensationalizing this stuff. And that some areas seem to be inflating the numbers and blaming the virus for most or all the deaths. maybe they can get more federal aid money that way? It would be real interesting to see the death tolls for the last 4 months in some place like New York. And for the same 4 months last year. I'm thinking it may be well less than a 5% uptick.

And some areas seem to be trying to make it as painful as possible. Maybe so they can blame the current administration come election time.

Interesting tidbits here: What the MSM Was Afraid to Tell You In The News This Week - Whatfinger News - Videos

·
Premium Member
8,765 Posts
Could it in Any-Way ...also be possible ??? Do you think ......that all this social distancing stuff and locking down, has actually worked?

But, for lack of anything too spectacular in a person's local neighborhood, people are saying "Hey! Where's all the death! ..the Insanity!? ..What a bunch of BS artists!" ...that's it! ...let's carry forth!"

Okay.. Fair enough!

In a cleaner environment, with surface sterilization techniques etc.?

"Nearly 900 workers at a Tyson Food plant in Indiana have reportedly tested positive for COVID-19. The coronavirus infected 890 of the 2,200 people at the plant located in Logansport, Ind., local station WISH TV reported Wednesday. the updated number is more than 700 additional confirmed cases at the plant than the Cass County Health Department reported last week, according to the Indianapolis Star. Tyson announced last week that the company would voluntarily close its facility and work with county officials on a plan to reopen. "

"More than 4,193 US workers in 115 meatpacking plants have tested positive for COVID-19, according to a new report compiled by the Centers for Infectious Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)."

Let's see how this thing tangos in macro societies:

"...A majority of the sailors assigned to the aircraft carrier Theodore Roosevelt who have tested positive for COVID-19 — at least 350 crew members — are asymptomatic, according to Secretary of Defense Mark Esper. “What we’ve found of the 600 or so that have been infected, what’s disconcerting is a majority of those, 350 plus, are asymptomatic,” Esper said in an interview with the “Today Show” on Thursday. “So it has revealed a new dynamic of this virus that it can be carried by normal, healthy people who have no idea whatsoever that they are carrying it.”

“So we’re learning a lesson there, and making sure that we communicate that to our broader force and we take every precaution we can to keep our force healthy and ready,” Esper said."

"The French navy is investigating how the coronavirus infected more than 1,000 sailors aboard the aircraft carrier Charles de Gaulle, amid growing pressure on government leaders to explain how it could have happened. The ship, France's biggest carrier and the flagship of its navy, is undergoing a lengthy disinfection process since returning to its home base in Toulon five days ago.
One person remains in intensive care and some 20 others hospitalized, navy spokesman Cmdr. Eric Lavault told The Associated Press..."

More Spectacular? ..You want Potential for Economic Mayhem? ..In the 'States:

Okay. :0)

"New Mexico blocked roads into the city of Gallup, with the state's governor saying tougher measures were needed in a county where "the virus is running amok."
The state police and the New Mexico National Guard have put a stop to traffic on all roads into Gallup, which borders the Navajo Nation, where at least 44 people have died of coronavirus. The American Indian territory has the the third-highest infection rate in the country behind the states of New York and New Jersey.

The spread of this virus in McKinley County is frightful,” Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham upon issuing the order Friday under New Mexico's Riot Control Act. “It shows that physical distancing has not occurred and is not occurring."

Look to New York, Look to New Jersey ..You don't need to go far to see that this thing is highly contagious and can cause a lot of grief..

Somebody said it, but with a tweak ...Lots of people will die from this. So, let's not brush it off like it's not a big deal, that it's just "this", or just "that".. because it's not.. It's something different. It doesn't fit and can't be hidden in some-other metric. This is something "more" ..and unto itself.

Like I said.. I don't think the US has the ability to do much more than "do what you want" .. But ^^^ ..worse than that is what we are looking at for it.

Don't blow it off like it's no-big deal. Because if it comes for any-one of Us, or Ours, it will become a big deal.

...About six weeks ago my wife was coming unglued because I couldn't breathe and was coughing up blood. I'm fit. I'm healthy. Seasonal and Expected Allergies? .. Maybe, ..then, I too, might have already had this. But, for lack of testing ?? who knows? So How concerned should we really be over this thing?

0.004% ... My daughter, who is autistic, can tend to lock onto a thing, then it's a cyclical escalation of emotional overload. ...She started freaking out a little the other day over this - told her to do the math. .004% ..That's the number she arrived at too. Then she wasn't freaking out anymore.

But those numbers go up as cases go up..

So let's look at current cases..

Nationally, they had been dropping for a while. It looked promising. Then they started to rise again.

Scroll down to daily new cases.

And that's with efforts in-place.

...What that looks like to me, is that this thing has been slowly spreading everywhere - and slowly spreading in the new locations it traveled. Those numbers tell me that there is no real way of stopping it from spreading. Those escalating numbers tell me, that although slowed, you can't realistically stop the threat of this infection with the levels of concern and action we are currently throwing at it.

..like somebody has said - you are just slowing it down, ..we are just trying not to overwhelm the systems designed to capably handle this.

The Swedish Model then!

"...Handle this as you see fit". Because, let's face it.. It's basically heading in that direction, anyway.

I hope I'm wrong. But if this thing is taking off due to the fact it has spread to more localities, and not due just to a deescalating lack of effort in those safety measures that were put in place. Lifting safety protocols that were put in place to slow this bug down while we buy time to try and end this thing? Since it's everywhere now?.. I think we just-might be treated to "spectacular".

Let's look at a Macro Society: An Aircraft Carrier:

61% infection rate - with, I'm sure, protocols enacted to prevent further spread. F'ck-it ..let's do away with the pesky and inconvenient social distancing bullshit.

80% infection. As was originally calculated by people much smarter than I.

80% of 328.2 million = 256,000,000+ cases. Not all at once.. Over about a year or so.. We are at 1.1 million cases today.

Mortality rate.. 256 million x 0.5% (which is much less than they estimate it is, but, I figure, with the asymptomatic types - around 0.5% ..that's 1,280,000 dead. We are at 60k now, give or take a few thousand dead bodies. 4-6x that amount if you listen to the experts.. Mostly, Chuck, ..The Older, The Obese, and those with secondary cardio and pulmonary health issues. "..Mostly". ..Buuut it's Russian Roulette for anybody getting this thing.

I hope I'm wrong. I really do. I am wrong Plenty. Just ask My Wife! :0) ....But "they" ain't been wrong so far. They have already seen what this thing can, and does do. Because "they" have seen it do it's dance elsewhere. And they have seen just how fast it does it. "They" have followed how this thing spreads, and what we can do to slow it.

But, we're not up-to those types of batshit crazy type precautions - not long-term. Are we? Nah..

The Swedish Model then! :0) ..As you see fit..

But see this thing with both eyes open. Because we can still protect ourselves if we are wrong. The Worst thing we can do? Is bullshit ourselves into thinking that this is "No Big Deal", or that it's just "something it's not".

Don't fear this sh't. It's chess. Win.

....aaaaand there goes my chance of a "Bandwidth Saver!" :0)

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Huntington Beach, California.Some of you would have fit right in.

Was there some kind of protest going on? Any time I feel my area is too crowded I get a look at you good folks to my left and start feeling good about things again. Looked like a beautiful day except all those yahoos out and about!

·
Registered
1995 VT1100C2
3,337 Posts
....aaaaand there goes my chance of a "Bandwidth Saver!" :0)
Due to Coroded-19 and my .0002 percent reduced lifespan, some posts are too long to read. Long posts probably help with state of mind but my down arrow button is wearing out. One suggestion might be don't use spaces or tabs between words so thepostwouldbemuchshorterandstillreadable. Anyone who wanted the spaces could add them later. o_O

G.

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
Due to Coroded-19 and my .0002 percent reduced lifespan, some posts are too long to read. Long posts probably help with state of mind but my down arrow button is wearing out. One suggestion might be don't use spaces or tabs between words so thepostwouldbemuchshorterandstillreadable. Anyone who wanted the spaces could add them later. o_O

G.
We really need a "Triple Like Button". I too won't read a 'wall of text' type post. :)

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
there's been some excellent points made here.. @Chuck_Michigan feels the way he does about this whole thing, @Mark-B, myself, our Canadian brothers to the north... and all are equally as valid. I saw the reports of the California beaches last week and heard the people freaking about about lack of social distancing and in my mind I was wondering what all the fuss was about. If six people live under the same roof and then they all decide to go out in public together, do they then start having to segregate? Sometimes things aren't as horrible as they seem.
My wife and I went grocery shopping together the other day and when we stepped up to the cash register together a lady skreeched at us "6 feet separation required". Really???
Hopefully soon this thing will blow over, but I think sooner or later it or something like it will be back. A little common sense might go a long ways.

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
I was in a grocery store today, wearing my mask and abiding by the 6 foot rule. At the cashiers station, right behind me was a gentleman with no mask, standing less than two feet from me. I politely asked him to please step back, and he impolitely told me what I could do with my request. I told him to be prepared to step to another line because I would personally see to it that my 5-6 items would take me at least 15 minutes to unload, pay for, and be gone. He stepped back another 4-5 feet and I was checked out and gone in under a minute.

His right to be an ******* with 'rights' stops at my right to be free of his ignorance and selfishness.

·
Premium Member
8,765 Posts

G.

...You would never be able to decipher such a humongous block of text. :0) ..That’s why you commonly see large blocks of text broken-up when written online.

Some fella figured out, some time ago, that if you put massive uninterrupted walls of text on a computer screen, people go postal ...aaaand we caint be havin’ none of that! They figured breaking up larger chunks of text into more easily digestible nuggets instead of pooting-out an Old 96r kept the body-count lower. :0)

...been writing for the interwebs too-long, it seems! :0)

:oops: ....sorry about your scroll key! :0)

We really need a "Triple Like Button". I too won't read a 'wall of text' type post. :)
Funnily enough, Me neither, usually. I rarely read many posts actually. Not because I don’t wanna, but because (ironically), I don’t have the time. SO! ...I fixate on a subject that interests me, then one train of thought leads to another, and presto-chango! ..done blowed-up the interwebs with unmitigated wordiness in a single post.

...they don’t have a twelve step program for it yet.. but the minute they do! I’m there, Chuck, I swear! :0)

Can’t add much more than I have already on this subject.

So I won’t. :0)

Take Care, Guys.. All the best with this thing.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
I was in a grocery store today, wearing my mask and abiding by the 6 foot rule. At the cashiers station, right behind me was a gentleman with no mask, standing less than two feet from me. I politely asked him to please step back, and he impolitely told me what I could do with my request. I told him to be prepared to step to another line because I would personally see to it that my 5-6 items would take me at least 15 minutes to unload, pay for, and be gone. He stepped back another 4-5 feet and I was checked out and gone in under a minute.

His right to be an *** with 'rights' stops at my right to be free of his ignorance and selfishness.
You are 100% correct. It doesn't matter if one agrees or disagrees with all the policies in place right now, there is absolutely no reason for people not to respect the rights of others. Unfortunately, that seems to be a concept many don;t agree with.

Grocery store lines are a pet peeve of mine anyway. Well before the Coronabug rared it's ugly head I've had minor skirmishes with people trying to shove their shopping carts up my a^^ in the check-out line. Do they really feel they'll be able to get through the process faster by doing that?

Good move @Chuck_Michigan

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
@longbeachgary1 : I'm seeing on the news that your air quality is much better than normal. Is this true?

161 - 180 of 180 Posts