Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The 2005 Shadow Sabre was not my first bike. Originally, I started out on a small electric Chinese scooter that was a gift from my girlfriend. She bought one for herself, as well, but sold it shortly thereafter. Most of us know how to ride bicycles, but for me bicycling was my key to freedom as a free-range Gen-X “latchkey kid”. The electric scooter was tons of fun, but the range was limited. “Why don’t you get a motorcycle so I can jump on the back and we can go cruising up in the mountains?” proposed my [young] lady. “Ya, but isn’t that kind of dangerous?” I said.

Fast forward about 15 years later. My truck conks out and I don’t have a proper garage in which to fix cars. Plus, there’s this little friend, MIL, who can, more often than not, be a major thorn in our sides. Y’all know what I’m talking about :’( So, at this point, setting out on the mountain “twisties” seemed a lot more enticing, despite the danger. At a condo complex in Lakeside, I had frequently spotted a family of dwarves, members of which were always messing with their Wildcat motorcycles. A “Wildcat”, in case you don’t know is a small 2-cycle engine installed on an actual bicycle frame. After ordering the kit online and trying it out for myself, I understood their enthusiasm. Those things are cheap (the bikes, I mean), …also easy to put together, and they can really get you around! Much to my chagrin, however, I had reached another speed/range limit. It’s easy to convince yourself that a bicycle-motorcycle is just as dangerous as a regular bicycle, but was I ready for the upgrade? No! I didn’t even have my M1 endorsement… :’( So how did I solve this problem?

Well, I set out to the local dealer and purchased the most powerful used bike on display. Initially, I had been admiring another cruiser, but when I asked the salesman, “Which one is the most powerful?” he pointed to the 1099cc Honda Shadow. Truthfully, when I turned it over for the first time, it was loud and made me a bit nervous. “What the hell am I getting myself into?” I thought. It was a huge commitment! Luckily, the dealer delivered the bike, saving me the would-be-harrowing experience of driving home without a license, LoL! I actually might have done that, as I was very determined to make this thing happen. At least I can take pride in that my first time out (with a permit) extended over 50 miles; not really smart for a newbie XD. But what can I say? When you have the fever, you show symptoms, right?

So, to make a short story long, acquiring the Shadow was not something I planned out ahead of time. I would almost consider it an impulse purchase, but I loved the look, and it was promising. My Harley bro neighbor is willing to ride with me, but I can tell by the way he talks that my Shadow is fundamentally flawed. Well, I don’t think so, and I’m keeping it for as long as I can! Now, I have a new lease on life, and I’m writing, riding, and representing the fallen ones who didn’t make it back home (especially one in particular). I think of the Honda wing as an angel wing! None of us should be going out there without at least one angel.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
14,529 Posts
Welcome to the forum and the curse of loving two wheels.
I had a few Honda's back in the 1960s but was given this 1983 750 by a friend a few years ago, when he got a bigger bike. I didn't know anything about Shadows, but so happy I have it, even though it is an older model, it is still exhilarating.

Reactions: dmhoggy

·
Registered
223 Posts
My Shadow is my seventh bike, 4 Harleys and 3 Hondas. I chose the Shadow because it looks like the cool bikes of the 60's (minus the oil leaks) but delivers the quality and reliability of a Honda. How can you beat that combination? Oh yeah and welcome to the site. Glad to have you with us. Enjoy that Shadow!

·
Registered
1995 VT1100C2
3,674 Posts
In 1995 I decided to retire my 1978 Goldwing so I went to a Harley dealership and plopped $22k down on the seat of a Heritage Softail Classic. Sales guy told me there was a 6 month waiting list, but I could buy Harley bandanas, gloves, clocks, jackets, T-shirts, vests, mugs and a door mat. I told him I was really looking to buy a motorcycle so I picked up the $22k and went to Honda.

Plopped the $22K on the seat of a VT1100C2 and the dealer gave me back $10k. With $10k extra in my pocket, I decided I could keep the Goldwing and fully load the VT1100C2 with windshield, V&H classics, floorboards, backrest and rack etc. I also noticed a pre-owned, neglected 1984 CB450 that I thought would be a great starter bike for GF so got that included. There was still money leftover that went into investments that now total over $30K so I can easily buy a 2020 Softail but won't because all that branded lifestyle stuff you need is too expensive and I have a lifestyle so I don't need to buy one.
G.
Here's the set:

toys3.jpg

·
Registered
02 1100 Spirit / 2012 Goldwing
4,930 Posts
Nice!

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
1,434 Posts
I was kind of looking for a cruiser. I had all Yamahas and was looking for another. I saw a used Shadow Spirit for a good price and I liked the styling. I called about it and went to check it out. I paid for it at a shop I didn't even know my friend owned. I asked him if I could pick it up in 2 days since I didn't bring a way to move it. I test drove it and it was suggested probably needed a carb overhaul. I went after work to get it and brought gas with my Marvel Mystery Oil in it. I drove the bike from the shop about 2 blocks and got it inspected. I went about another 2 miles to the DMV and got it registered and plates. I have been riding it ever since with only a battery being a real issue. I've gone through the bike, tires, brakes, fluids but I never even changed the plugs yet and it is still running great.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I have a hip defect that limits my flexibility so a low saddle was a big requirement.
I was looking for a motorcycle that I could get a leg over. Any motorcycle.

In my mind, a cruiser was my definition of a motorcycle. I had tried a few but they were uncomfortably high for me to mount.

So I was looking at a sports bike at a nearby dealer, but the salesman must have had a good read on me, and said he wanted to show me a used bike that they just took in.

It wasn't even on the sales floor yet.

That was my Shadow. A VLX.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome to the forum and the curse of loving two wheels.
I had a few Honda's back in the 1960s but was given this 1983 750 by a friend a few years ago, when he got a bigger bike. I didn't know anything about Shadows, but so happy I have it, even though it is an older model, it is still exhilarating.
Ya, Shadows are not so bad! Only BAD-A$$ :-D Some people prefer the older models. Fancy gizmo's are alright, but a bike is a (hopefully) good engine, sound frame and those two wheels you mentioned.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In 1995 I decided to retire my 1978 Goldwing so I went to a Harley dealership and plopped $22k down on the seat of a Heritage Softail Classic. Sales guy told me there was a 6 month waiting list, but I could buy Harley bandanas, gloves, clocks, jackets, T-shirts, vests, mugs and a door mat. I told him I was really looking to buy a motorcycle so I picked up the $22k and went to Honda.

Plopped the $22K on the seat of a VT1100C2 and the dealer gave me back $10k. With $10k extra in my pocket, I decided I could keep the Goldwing and fully load the VT1100C2 with windshield, V&H classics, floorboards, backrest and rack etc. I also noticed a pre-owned, neglected 1984 CB450 that I thought would be a great starter bike for GF so got that included. There was still money leftover that went into investments that now total over $30K so I can easily buy a 2020 Softail but won't because all that branded lifestyle stuff you need is too expensive and I have a lifestyle so I don't need to buy one.
G.
Here's the set:

View attachment 283642
Ah yeahhhh.... now, THAT'S some smart investing!! :D(y) When U got the GF involved,everything's cool. Happy GF, happy.... um, wife? LoL! Don't forget to get one for her too! (jk). Anyway, good point: we don't need to dip into Harley's bag when we can get our OWN lives and then some. Sweeeeeet... fully locked and loaded! Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So one day I get a phone call from my buddy over at the automotive recycler. He says "Hey Kris, you want an old shadow?" To which I replied " Honda shadow or Dodge Shadow?" Nobody needs a dodge shadow
? It helps to be specific sometimes ... haha! I'm not sure what's up with the Dodge Shadow, but I'll see what Scotty Kilmer has to say about it. Cute pic of the kid, BTW!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My Shadow is my seventh bike, 4 Harleys and 3 Hondas. I chose the Shadow because it looks like the cool bikes of the 60's (minus the oil leaks) but delivers the quality and reliability of a Honda. How can you beat that combination? Oh yeah and welcome to the site. Glad to have you with us. Enjoy that Shadow!
Thanks for the kind words :) I plan on getting a Harley at some point to make my neighbor happy and also to see what all the fuss is about. Apparently one of the things people like most about the Harleys is the sound the engine makes. It's a bid deal to some folks. Hmmm... The same goes for the sport bikes with their expensive aftermarket exhausts.

·
Registered
02 1100 Spirit / 2012 Goldwing
4,930 Posts
Already knew I wanted a Honda. Found my shadow on a classified site. Loved the look, the stance and the ride! But the flip tail rear fender is my favorite feature. Reminds of my first bike. A Shwinn Stingray bicycle with the flip tail rear fender! Still have it!!!

Reactions: kesanders

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Already knew I wanted a Honda. Found my shadow on a classified site. Loved the look, the stance and the ride! But the flip tail rear fender is my favorite feature. Reminds of my first bike. A Shwinn Stingray bicycle with the flip tail rear fender! Still have it!!!

Cool! I didn't know it was called that. Our first inspiration comes from the bicycles. The way I acted on MY bicycle, they could tell a motorcycle was inevitable. People say that these bikes are styled after Harleys, but they definitely make their OWN statement.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was kind of looking for a cruiser. I had all Yamahas and was looking for another. I saw a used Shadow Spirit for a good price and I liked the styling. I called about it and went to check it out. I paid for it at a shop I didn't even know my friend owned. I asked him if I could pick it up in 2 days since I didn't bring a way to move it. I test drove it and it was suggested probably needed a carb overhaul. I went after work to get it and brought gas with my Marvel Mystery Oil in it. I drove the bike from the shop about 2 blocks and got it inspected. I went about another 2 miles to the DMV and got it registered and plates. I have been riding it ever since with only a battery being a real issue. I've gone through the bike, tires, brakes, fluids but I never even changed the plugs yet and it is still running great.
How cool is that? It all came together really fast. The same thing happened to me in that respect. BOOM!! Suddenly I had this big-ol' bike without being adequately prepared for it. When it's meant to be, the pieces just fall into place, and you don't have to try too hard. I will have to try that Mystery Oil sometime; sounds like it made a difference. I plan on going for a sport machine next when I get a huge wad of cash or, ...um, at least a medium wad that will make a decent down payment.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have a hip defect that limits my flexibility so a low saddle was a big requirement.
I was looking for a motorcycle that I could get a leg over. Any motorcycle.

In my mind, a cruiser was my definition of a motorcycle. I had tried a few but they were uncomfortably high for me to mount.

So I was looking at a sports bike at a nearby dealer, but the salesman must have had a good read on me, and said he wanted to show me a used bike that they just took in.

It wasn't even on the sales floor yet.

That was my Shadow. A VLX.
A lot of people deal with the height issue (of the bike), including a majority of lady riders. This is a good detail to know: that the VLX can solve this problem. It's definitely not a "girl's bike" ... tho, a strong lady could handle it. I think a sport bike would have not been the best option for you, as the sitting position might have been extra uncomfortable. When you think of a "biker gang" the sport machines never come to mind, so yeah, the classic image of a motorbike is the cruiser. Not hating on my sport bros, but that's just how it is.

·
Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
1,434 Posts
How cool is that? It all came together really fast. The same thing happened to me in that respect. BOOM!! Suddenly I had this big-ol' bike without being adequately prepared for it. When it's meant to be, the pieces just fall into place, and you don't have to try too hard. I will have to try that Mystery Oil sometime; sounds like it made a difference. I plan on going for a sport machine next when I get a huge wad of cash or, ...um, at least a medium wad that will make a decent down payment.
I have an old naked standard bike, 1986 Yamaha Radian YX600 also. It has the same engine as the FZ600 in 1986 which was the cafe racer of the day. I like it that it is a sleeper. It hauls and loves that high rpm and it is a blast. It may not be as fast as modern sport bikes but I have just as much fun on it. There are other fun bikes other than just the sport bikes which have more power and are more ergonomically suited. Have fun with whatever you get.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts