Honda Shadow Forums banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Honda Shadow 750 Aero
302 Posts
I had been interested in the Shadows since I saw one on sale a couple of years ago on a dealer website. It was a 2017 leftover in that Root Beer color for $5995. I jumped at it but was too late. A couple of months ago I saw a 2019 Black Aero at a local dealer for $6039. This time I jumped faster. I was riding a 2018 Vulcan S at the time that I was very happy with but I couldn't resist the price. Not the best deal I ever received but close. I love the classic cruiser style of the Shadow - and the sound.

·
Registered
84 VT500C retro bobber
1,511 Posts
Cute pic of the kid, BTW!
Well thank you kindly sir. That there is my boy, he was 3 at the time of the photo and very excited to be sitting on dads bike, he even cracked the throttle a couple of times. If I was half that cute I'd rule the world by now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I came across the Shadow on accident. It was sitting in back of my friends garage. He has inherited many cars and bikes from his Grandfather. He did not have any interest in the Honda. He is a chopper builder and pretty much sticks to old Harleys and Triumphs. It was so clean, nice looking and low miles. He offered it to me for under a grand. That is what got me the Honda. It now us sitting with my Triumph Speedmaster and Moto Guzzi Audace. Truthfully, they are all great to ride.

Got some new shoes on her last weekend.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I was looking for a bike to ride during the hot weather months in Alabama. My Victory Cross Country Tour just blocks more air than can keep me semi cool. Found my 2000 Sabre customized and it suits my needs very well. Just got her last month...still a work in progress
View attachment 283690
I was looking for a bike to ride during the hot weather months in Alabama. My Victory Cross Country Tour just blocks more air than can keep me semi cool. Found my 2000 Sabre customized and it suits my needs very well. Just got her last month...still a work in progress
View attachment 283690
OH WOW, TOPKICK... That is one SHARP-looking machine!!! This was definitely how the bike was meant to look :-D Thanx for sharing!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I came across the Shadow on accident. It was sitting in back of my friends garage. He has inherited many cars and bikes from his Grandfather. He did not have any interest in the Honda. He is a chopper builder and pretty much sticks to old Harleys and Triumphs. It was so clean, nice looking and low miles. He offered it to me for under a grand. That is what got me the Honda. It now us sitting with my Triumph Speedmaster and Moto Guzzi Audace. Truthfully, they are all great to ride. View attachment 283747
Got some new shoes on her last weekend. View attachment 283745 View attachment 283746
@B. Carnage... You have quite the collection going. SWEEEEEET!!! I like the show by the ocean, esp. For under a grand eh? What a deal :-D Right place, right time... and plus the dude is your friend, so he didn't try to rip you. What's up with these Harley-only people?!! They're missing out, is all...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Well thank you kindly sir. That there is my boy, he was 3 at the time of the photo and very excited to be sitting on dads bike, he even cracked the throttle a couple of times. If I was half that cute I'd rule the world by now.
WORD! Just don't start him out on a Hyabusa LoL!

·
Registered
2019 Honda Shadow 750 Aero
302 Posts
Long Beach Gary: You got a new bike, so paying the extra ain't no shame. Apparently it came with ABS, so that can save you from a major incident. I think enough people like this classic design that it now officially transcends time ⌚ Many happy miles to you, friend!
Thanks. No ABS on mine though.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Why did I get a Shadow (as opposed to other brand-model)?

Seat height concern. (for the short legged family members to learn to ride).

·
Registered
5,908 Posts
I rode a Honda Interceptor in high school and through college. Loved that bike, but after college I needed a car and couldn’t afford both, so I let her go.

A few years later, my mom was selling her Vulcan and I kept it for a month as a trial while she was away on a vacation. When she got back I returned the bike to her, I wasn’t ready for a cruiser and my wife was pregnant so we didn’t really have the extra funds.

Fast forward 15 years. We are in a much better financial situation, my son has grown and I’m getting the itch to ride again. My mom had recently purchased a house with a barn that the previous owner leased space to store things in. There was a 82 Yamaha Seca 400 in parts that ahead been abandoned and it was in pieces. I brought it home and made it road worthy and rode it for a summer.

I got tired of wrenching on the Seca and started looking for something more reliable. A Honda. I found a 06 Shadow Aero 750 for a great deal. That bike did everything I asked of it. My son and I went for many a ride on it, I rode it every day that I could.

Then, I won a weekend rental of a Harley Ultra Limited. Wow. This bike didn’t even notice my son on the back, he’s now 17 and 210 lbs. We rode that thing for 2 days straight. I knew then that I needed a bigger bike. When I took the HD back, I inquired about the price. LOL, maybe someday.

But the hunt was on. I knew I wanted an X. I wanted the same look I had with the Aero, the same reliability, just more power. I again came across a great deal, and snapped up my 08 1300T. I’ve never looked back.

Sitting on my VTX making Vroom Vroom noises.

Reactions: kesanders

·
Registered
12 Posts
My dad has had this bike (1983 Honda Shadow 750) since I was young and we traveled to the Great Smoky Mountains on it. The bike has sit in the garage since he stopped riding (probably 30 years). I used to get on it and ride around town with no tags, insurance or license. He passed in January and I have a trip planned back to The tail of the dragon, great smoky mountains as a tribute to my dad. I am super excited and look forward to the trip.

·
Registered
5,908 Posts
My dad has had this bike (1983 Honda Shadow 750) since I was young and we traveled to the Great Smoky Mountains on it. The bike has sit in the garage since he stopped riding (probably 30 years). I used to get on it and ride around town with no tags, insurance or license. He passed in January and I have a trip planned back to The tail of the dragon, great smoky mountains as a tribute to my dad. I am super excited and look forward to the trip.
I hope with tags, insurance and a licence this time.

My condolences on the passing of your father, I hope the bike and the ride gives you some “time” with him.

Sitting on my VTX making Vroom Vroom noises.

·
Registered
2007, Shadow Aero 750
145 Posts
My best friend from 1st grade called me on a Sunday and said "dude I found your bike!" I had 400 bucks on a Sunday with a $400 dollar limit on the atm. Anyways we went to go look at it. We pulled up and the ladies husband was outside, "can I help ya" long story short she sold it and he was unaware. My buddy test rode it for me said dude it'll do 80 easy lmao so after four friends antied up on a Sunday I took it home. $2500 bucks for a 07 Shadow Aero 750 with 4600 miles that had been through the dragons tail.

·
Registered
2007, Shadow Aero 750
145 Posts
In 1995 I decided to retire my 1978 Goldwing so I went to a Harley dealership and plopped $22k down on the seat of a Heritage Softail Classic. Sales guy told me there was a 6 month waiting list, but I could buy Harley bandanas, gloves, clocks, jackets, T-shirts, vests, mugs and a door mat. I told him I was really looking to buy a motorcycle so I picked up the $22k and went to Honda.

Plopped the $22K on the seat of a VT1100C2 and the dealer gave me back $10k. With $10k extra in my pocket, I decided I could keep the Goldwing and fully load the VT1100C2 with windshield, V&H classics, floorboards, backrest and rack etc. I also noticed a pre-owned, neglected 1984 CB450 that I thought would be a great starter bike for GF so got that included. There was still money leftover that went into investments that now total over $30K so I can easily buy a 2020 Softail but won't because all that branded lifestyle stuff you need is too expensive and I have a lifestyle so I don't need to buy one.
G.
Here's the set:

View attachment 283642
Super nice like the black and pink. What a deal!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Well for me, reputation. I rode cafe racer type bikes in the 80s, a yamaha 83 Vision loaded (AWESOME bike), a KZ650 kawasaki (flipped bars and a cafe fairing, kerker etc), and started out on a '74 Yamaha 100 twin. Harleys were coming out of the AMF period and we all know how that went. That plus the attitude of the riders kinda turned me off of HD for life. I like the idea of the bikes, just not the bikes themselves.

Well the Yamaha got totalled, the KZ got stolen, and I was kinda done. But before I went off to college I used to ride my friend's HD low rider. I LOVED the look of that bike, but hated the handling (turned like a greyhound bus). And then just let it slide.

Well fast forward a bit, I decided to get a bike about a month ago. I remembered the reputation that Honda had, and thought about the Shadow... and then just happened across a 2003 Shadow Sabre. I bought it.

I love the bike, but it does need a little work here and there. It had a bad stator and a glitchy temp light, so you know, 17 year old bike and all that. But I LOVE the way that thing rides. Torque for days, low CG, nice sounding motor at speed, nice breeze in the face. Plus I LOVE the forward controls, although it took a few rides for my feet to find them without looking. Since I have ZERO desire to ride like I used to (redlining down the white lines) and stupid crap like that, this is THE bike for me right now.

And then my wife dropped the bomb... she wants one too. So we got her in a class next month and I just dropped some $$ on some gear for her, and am shopping for a nice Aero 750. Next season is shaping up to be a lot of fun for us!

·
Registered
2001 Shadow Sabre VT1100C2
25 Posts
This is a cool post--maybe admins should pin or separate from "new member introductions".? Let's see if I can recall my history and what got me here...

I grew up in the 80s and 90s riding/ racing dirtbikes. I've always owned Honda...my first bike ever was this little 70s CT70 (pic below, and I wish i kept it). The neighborhood kids and us brothers couldn't be pulled off it. Over the years, the bikes kept growing with me, all Honda, all the time. Sold and stopped riding my dirt bikes after HS (girls and money were more important endeavors at that time ;) lol/

First road bike I got in the late(ish) 90s was a worse for wear, early 80s Honda something--maybe a Silver Wing? It was silver and a beater, and I don't remember even paying for it. But, I got my motorcycle license and put it on the road. Really only rode it once in a while and only kept it for a year or so. Time went by and did the "thing" settled down, house, wife, kids eventually...motorcycles weren't on the radar anymore and honestly was highly frowned upon by a certain person in my life, for a long, long time.

FF 20+ years from my last bike and I started to get the bug again...my riding friends all steering me towards HD...but, I honestly didn't feel I fit the mold of a typical harley rider, and certainly couldn't see myself draped in a head-to-toe HD halloween costume. It's fine and looks great on a lot of people, but the whole persona isn't really me. So, last year I started looking at (and still want to add a Victory Vegas to my garage) as well as some other non-HD cruisers, and maybe a street bike at some point ('ve got riding friends all over the spectrum).

Decided to get my class M licence again last year in my new state of CT..was in analysis paralysis on what to buy for about a full year, when my GFs dad generously gifted me his 01 VT1100C2 Sabre! It didn't have the sleek lines of some of the other bikes I was interested in, and it'd been sitting for 3-4 years in the garage, but who would pass that up? That was a couple months ago..bike needed a full tear down and carb rebuild only due to sitting, but was in pretty great shape overall with less than 10K miles. It was frustrating to get the bike running and running smoothly on my own, but I flexed my 20 year old skills and got her going with some help from browsing this forum and youtube university. :)

shadowfog.jpg

I have had the Shadow on the road and feeling and sounding good now for just one day as of writing this...but I'm already looking at everything I can do to spruce her up. Handling is way better than I thought it would be, the bike accelerates and brakes great and with some elbow grease and some replacement parts, will shine bright. Even after one day running nice, I plan on my Shadow being my only bike for the foreseeable future! I'm happy to be back to Honda again and I already love my Shadow!!

·
Registered
16,921 Posts
When I bought it, my nephew had been loaning it to me to ride, I borrowed it to go to Tennesee to pick up a pickup truck...
It turned over 40,000 whilst I had it and his AC quit working...
He needed an AC unit MORE than this 98-750-ACE,
Dennis

Have time ; Will RIDE

21 - 40 of 43 Posts