Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Preference? Availability? Chance? Hand-me-down? I bought my bike because it was partially fixed the way I wanted with enough left to do that I could really make her mine!

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
I like the Shadow styling and Honda reliability. My first two bikes were Hondas, an S-90 and a CB-160 so I've always been partial to Hondas. Harley's are way expensive to buy and maintain, plus I didn't like the Harley image.

·
Premium Member
7,678 Posts
I like the Shadow styling and Honda reliability. My first two bikes were Hondas, an S-90 and a CB-160 so I've always been partial to Hondas. Harley's are way expensive to buy and maintain, plus I didn't like the Harley image.
^+1

·
Registered
17,972 Posts
I think availability is the main reason ;)
God is good!
He works in His time ;)

The Bike became available when I had the Honda Buck$ ==>
He provided for my need with my Bike and another individual with an air conditioner... ( his need.) :D

I had borrowed this Bike from a nephew to go to Tennessee and bring home a truck...
Then later in the summer heat, this nephew had the air conditioner quit working and needed replacing, so he sold me the Bike so as to afford the AC...

Yup, He has the plan, I am but a servant

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I didnt want an HD and the Spirit was in my price range. Same reason i have a Fury now :) The irony? I paid less than $3k more for my Fury than i did for my Shadow 8 years prior :D

·
Registered
503 Posts
i got it for 200$ off a friend.
only needed a new stator, regulator, rectifier, blinkers, and a seat

·
Registered
154 Posts
Like everybody else, it came down to budget. My first bike was a 95 cbr that I picked up for 1800 bucks. I loved it as a starter because I was not worried about dropping it etc. I took it on a 2000km trip through southern BC and while the ride was amazing, I had never been in more pain in my life. Because my job provides little security, I didn't want something that I couldn't afford should I lose my job. I loved the look of the Phantom, the comfort (relatively speaking) and reliability that Honda is known for. While it might not have as much power as everyone else, I could still keep up and enjoy riding (which is what we all want in the end right?)

Attachments

·
Registered
740 Posts
I passed my bike every now and then for about 2 years. There's a car showroom near a gym I used to go to and my bike would be the only bike among all the cars. I passed my big bike license, came into a bit of money and since the price had dropped on the bike (£2000 down to £1200) I bought it...not knowing the trouble I would have lol (I'm not really lol'ing, I'm shaking my head!).

·
Registered
147 Posts
That's an easy question, kind of .................

1. It was priced right
2. Seller was local
3. Seller could deliver to the house
4. It fit
5. It was the right size
6. oh, and I had researched that I could get 6" forward controls for it

Really had nothing to do with being a Honda, sorry. It could have been any brand or model.

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
It chose me!:D

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I had been off the saddle for several years and kept hearing the calls of V-twins calling from the horizon. The Harley was popular then, and I fancied the Fat Boy style, but not it's price, nor the brand's reputation. Mostly price because I knew their reputation was outdated.

I researched and came to the conclusion that the Shadow Sabre was the closest fit to my style preference, and the Shadow's reliability is almost legendary. I did not mind that it had carburetors - they were something I've worked on before and could do them again if ever needed. I also liked the low maintenance schedule and hydraulic lifters. Finally, I found a previous year leftover and, it being the last year the 1100 was made, I was able to negotiate a great price on a brand new bike, just a couple grand more than several used ones that were several years older. I figured the warranty, new tires, and being new was worth a couple extra grand.

I never even considered an 1100 would fall short in the GO department, and after getting spanked by soccer mom in her Volvo turbo wagon, I started looking for something to fill the void.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
I have always owned Honda's (well most have been Honda's)

I was looking for a VFR or VB 1000 then a late model 04 VT750 turned up cheap so I grabbed it, liked the cruiser feel so got the 1100 when I decided to trike the 750 for the wife (I must finish that one day)

·
Read Only
2,714 Posts
Personally, I had a Shadow before, and ended up 'losing' it. When I was going to get another bike, since I wanted my wife to ride with me, I had my heart set on a HD, but the one I wanted (Night Train Softtail) was $18k and change, USED, but the wife didn't have a good 'feeling' about it, so I passed on that one. The next week, we were out running errands, when she wants to look at what's at the Honda shop. Now, having had one, I knew about the reliability and stability of them, and saw the 750 Spirit with flames on the tank, and immediately wanted it, but when I found out it was only a 750, I tossed it out of my mind, and went to looking at the 1300s, 1800, and Goldwings. She, however, went down the row from the 750 Spirit a little bit, and sat on a 600 VLX, and said, "I can ride this!" My reaction was, "I didn't think that was what we were coming in here for!" She knew I liked the 750 Spirit, so she said I could get it, and she would get the 600 VLX, and the TWO were only $11.5!! How could I pass THAT up?!! Been riding that 750 Spirit for almost 12 years, now, and STILL *Love* it!! However, I'm feeling I need a 'bigger' bike for highway and longer trips. Can't seem to keep up with everyone else when pushing really strong headwinds (20-30mph+) with my big MS windshield. Still, I get to ride the Spirit back and forth to work EVERY day, rain or shine, and enjoy the heck out of it!!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!! LOL

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
A friend of mine gave me a word of advice when I started shopping for a bike, "get something you can afford to wreck, not something you'll be paying for long after you do (like a $15,000 Road King - which was gorgeous, FWIW).

So I set a budget of $3500 and started shopping in mid-September. I rode several bikes and almost bought a gorgeous Yamaha 600 with incredibly low miles, but it was sold to his nephew before I could hand him the money.

I found my Shadow on CL. The previous owner was selling it to pay for his upcoming wedding. The first night I went to look at it, snowstorm. But, the price was right & a few days later I went back with cash in hand. I talked him down $100 since the battery was questionable - still using that battery with a tender. Put it in the back of my Ranger & drove home.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Had a couple Hondas before and most of my friends had Hondas, so I found reliability to be great. Also had many Honda cars too, same reliability. One of my former Hondas was a VLX600 Shadow that I really liked so when I decided to start riding again I didn't even think of looking at anything else but Honda and I love the Shadow look and the Phantom fit me great and the financing was perfect for me, no down and low payments! My son got his Shadow Ace just a few weeks before me by my recommendation and he loved the look and it fit him perfect and the price was great for a bike with only 1400 miles on it that looked and road like new!

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
After a lot of years away from 2 wheels and then deciding to ride again I started looking at bikes. Many and any bikes. I decided that the cruiser type was what I wanted. Those crotch rockets, they make my back hurt just looking at them! Anyway I found my bike on CL, and I had no idea flames were in my future, I wanted a solid color bike. But the low mileage, the condition of the bike and the minor problems that I could fix myself and the price, hell I had to buy the Shadow! But below is the actual list of bikes that I was looking at at the time plus other years not on the list.

2003 Yamaha V Star 1100 Custom Cruiser- no automatic valve adj
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre (VT1100C2) Cruiser - automatic valve adj
2007 YAMAHA V STAR 1100 CLASSIC - no automatic valve adj
2005 Honda VTX 1300C - no automatic valve adj
2009 Yamaha V Star 950 - no automatic valve adj
2009 Kawasaki Vulcan® 900 Classic LT no automatic valve adj 2008 Suzuki M50 Cruiser - no automatic valve adj
1996 Honda Magna VF750 Cruiser - no automatic valve adj
2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 750 (VN750) Cruiser - automatic valve adj
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre (VT1100C2) Cruiser - automatic valve adj
2000 Suzuki Intruder 1400 Cruiser
2002 Honda Shadow Ace 750 Deluxe Cruiser - NO AUTOMATIC VALVE ADJ
2005 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (VT750) Cruiser - automatic valve adj
2007 Suzuki Boulevard C50 Cruiser (800) - no automatic valve adj
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50 Cruiser
1997 Honda 1100 Shadow Spirit Standard

They were not all Honda's, but I'm glad that my Sabre chose me!:D

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Got the aero because it was titled with TOD from my dad to me, my father is still living but he had only put 1550mi on it in the 4 years he had it. I asked him if I could start riding it to save gas going to work in the summer if I paid insurance and all costs related to it. (bike was bought with cash so no monthly payment). He said yes so i drove it for 3 years and took the best care of it I could. Gave it back to him with a new set of tires, fresh fluids in every hole, and a nice detail job. He drives it a little more since I've given it back now that we can ride together.

I chose my current bike because of the features that it had and I LOVED the way it looks over any other bike. Plus its extremely practical and comfortable. Price wasnt an issue, color was (I'll NEVER own another black vehicle after having a black truck,) was a large v-twin, and had a six speed transmission. Also I did want something that had a large aftermarket support because I knew I'd be wanting some performance parts. And to be honest I would probably be on a Honda XR650L if my girlfriend didnt work at the local Harley.

·
Registered
11,171 Posts
At the time I liked the looks of the 750 Spirit. Turned out the price was under budget, so I bought it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts