Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a dozen or so places on my bike, bolts in particular, have little dabs of white paint on them. It's pretty easy to guess that they are marking them to signify something...but WHAT? I am speculating that it means "This bolt was tightened to specified torque" by whoever assembled my bike prior to my buying it.

It does not matter and I am not losing sleep over it...but if any of you happen to be the guy who puts that paint there, how about letting me know for sure!

Yes, I expect there will be some [email protected]$$ responses! Have fun!

·
Registered
9,278 Posts
When the factory installs the bolt, if it's tightened to a certain torque they mark the bolt, usually by overrunning the paint onto the surface too to show the bolt hasn't been undone and the torque is correct.

Some assembly lines paint any bolt that has had it's final tightning.

In the aviation biz we call it a 'torque stripe' and is actually a thick cement that you make a line from the surface, over the bolt head, and back down to show of a bolt has come loose.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
When the factory installs the bolt, if it's tightened to a certain torque they mark the bolt, usually by overrunning the paint onto the surface too to show the bolt hasn't been undone and the torque is correct.

Some assembly lines paint any bolt that has had it's final tightning.

In the aviation biz we call it a 'torque stripe' and is actually a thick cement that you make a line from the surface, over the bolt head, and back down to show of a bolt has come loose.
Correct, and good assumption by the original poster, I work at a dealer, and almost every bolt is mark after final torque on the chassis, engine mountings, and critical fasteners.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys...it's what I figured. Mystery solved!

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
My strategy is to liberally use a torque wrench where tightness is essential (usually internal engine parts) and NAPA thread sealant (I think it is their #14) on every other fastener. We seldom use LocTite since it is overkill for most applications. Sealant keeps screws/bolts/nuts from backing and falling out if tension is released.

The truly anal can get AN grade components and safety wire them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.