Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have had a few bikes and never could understand why the sidestand is on the left side. I understand that in many places in the world, they drive on the left side of the road so the bike would lean more with the bank of the road when on the sidestand but driving on the right side makes the bank of the road work against the lean of the bike when on the sidestand. I'v had to park in a few places where the bank of the road was so great that the bike was literally vertical when on the sidestand. Heck, we manufacture a lot of our cars with the gas filler cap on the wrong side just so they will be more acceptable for export to different countrys. Can you even convert the Shadows to right side sidestand? I have seen a couple bikes leaning to the right when parked but they wern't Honda's and was just driving by so couldn't check them out.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
To me it makes sense to be on the left because the hand brake and foot brake are on the right, so you can hold her steady on an incline/decline. Plus, the majority of people are right handed/footed so there ya go. Just my nonsense. :p

·
Banned
912 Posts
Just a guess, but the usual way to mount a horse is from the left. Maybe it's a carry-over from that. And it's easier to mount a bike from the direction it's leaning.

·
Registered
386 Posts
The motorcycle designers chose the left because majority of motorcycles have the exhausts to the right. Not only that, you have the dipping stick and oil entrances on the right of the engine. Which means, it will be easier for you to poor oil when the bike is leaned to one side. Also you wouldn't want the float bowl to be on the low side and dripping gas out the air cleaner.

·
Registered
9,278 Posts
Just a guess, but the usual way to mount a horse is from the left. Maybe it's a carry-over from that. And it's easier to mount a bike from the direction it's leaning.
You are 100% correct!!!! :D

Go Away Garage: The Reason Why the Kickstand is on the left side

"The Riding originated on horses (maybe on camels to some) And horses are always mounted from their left side, and hence motorcycles also. Horses are smart and know what side they are supposed to be mounted from.

-I am not talking about stuffing a horse or having sexual intercourse with a horse. I am sure that you can find appropriate web sites for it if you are interested in those things.-

The historical reason horses got mounted from the left side is that people riding them usually carried long swords hung on their left. It is not easy to mount on a horse from right if you got a long sword attached to your left side.

I never really thought about it. It is even hard to push a bike from right side."

·
Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
10,075 Posts
Because the kickstarter used to be on the right
Seems logical beings I never seen a kickstarter on the left but beings most folk are right handed is probalbly the real reason for most design/engineered things in life. Times used to be if you were left handed you were considered the devils child & so parents would train their leftys to be rightys.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have a scooter (yes, a real scooter) made in 2006 that has the kick starter on the left side along with the kick stand. I find it so awkward to use the starter that when I do need it, I start it while standing along side the bike, with my right foot. Also, I agree with the "horse" theory on kick stands.

L.R.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.