Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
;) i have a 2002 vlx with full jardine exhaust and have the carb jetted to 130 but ive been looking and thinking about getting a set of stock pipes and cutting the mufflers off then wrapping the pipes to go to wide open pipes (cant take or drill out baffels cuz the way the pipes are made, no way to get to them) and of course re-tuning the carb. good idea or bad? does it give a little more power or just make the bike louder, suck down gas milage (milage dosnt concern me). i just wanna see what everyone thinks and there opinons. any input or questions please let me know.

redneckryder

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
You may get a bit more power out of it, but it will sound like crap and probably piss off some who don't care for loud exhaust to begin with.
The stock mufflers can be completely gutted by removing the baffle (ie: holesaw mod) and cutting out the front plate with a long chisel (some use a piece of sharpened rebar to do it) That will give you straight thru pipes that will be plenty loud.
I've heard a VLX with Vance & Hines exhaust on it and it sounded pretty good (a little loud) which may be a better choice instead of straight pipes.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Open pipes will loose power, unless it's a "full on" drag bike. I promise. You need a little back-pressure for the engine to "scavenge" correctly.

I like the sound, don't get me wrong. Actually, I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT, but I have previous experience and you can FEEL the power loss.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Pipes

I have a 95 ACE 1100 and have cobra drag pipes. The reason I prefer them is that they are "fairly" quiet at idle and slow speeds but give it a little more throttle and WOW they sound great.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
You CAN drill out the baffles. I've done it, many others have done it as well. My VLX had drilled out baffles, and I loved how it sounded. All you need is a good drill and a 1 3/4" holesaw. I personally went with removing the whole rear and then just drilled a few holes in the front baffle with a long 3/8" drill bit. Google "Holy Order of the 1 3/4" and you'll find some posts/blogs about VLX's and drilled out baffles.

·
Registered
50 Posts
put open 2" pipes on my 99 vt600 sounds great sounded like a lawn mower before mod. As far as performance and mileage is concerned it passes everything but a gas station.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts