Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone I was just wondering will it be ok if I kept my bike outside covered up of course I have it in storage now but its to much of a pain to drive there just to start my bike,also I just bought a trickle charger I can run an extention cord to plug it in and lock it up,will this cold weather hurt it?? :?:

·
Registered
241 Posts
I've had no choice but to store mine outside (covered) for two winters now, with no ill effects. But then, it's a bit warmer here than in Illinois, and I try to ride at least every couple of weeks to keep the battery going.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Cheaper than a garage! I have looked at those. If I were going to store my bike outside, that is the option I would choose provided I had the space for it. Tarps suck and can rub the paint. Been down that road before :(

·
Registered
323 Posts
I use a bike cover on mine, but use a real soft padded matress pad on the bike first. Works real well and keeps all the dust of my bike. You may possibly have a bird move in on you though, kinda have to watch out for them.....

·
Registered
76 Posts
Like Eldorado, I use one of the tent style covers. This is what I use.

http://www.thebikebarn.net/

Again, expensive but it provides substantial shelter. I put a 4 X 8 sheet of plyboard on the ground to park the bike on to get it off the wet pavement. I treated it with polyurethane.

I also use a ceramic cube heater that runs in there on cold nights.

Good luck,

Beck

·
Registered
865 Posts
The only real problem, and I bet it's more of a problem inside the bike than the outside, is that if the bike is stored in an unheated place, when the bike is cold and the air temp warms up, the bike will sweat. That's why the tank should always be full of gas if possible, so that there's not any air space in the tank to allow moisture to form. Also if you start the bike occasionally during the winter, let it get good and hot to help drive moisture out of the crank case and exhaust system.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts