Honda Shadow Forums banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2007 VT750DC Spirit “chopper”
690 Posts
Yep if you like higher rpm the BMW is a great bike.

But unless my eyes deceive me, it appears both those Honda red colored lines, torque and horsepower, are above the BMW blue ones all the way to 4000 RPM !

I don't read a lot of Dyno charts but doesn't that imply the Goldwing out torques the BMW, can shift at 3000 RPM, dropping down to 2200rpm, out torques the BMW again, repeat all the way to 6th gear. Based on the Goldwing gearing, at 4000 rpm in 6th gear you are travelling 116 mph. (58 mph at 2000 RPM)
Real world beats the numbers, R1600 routinely runs 11.5-11.4 1/4 mile(with a standard clutch/shifter) the 1800 Wing DCT is usually 11.8-11.9 in the 1/4. The BMW can hold such similar torque for longer, so while the Honda has to shift at 5300ish to continue maintaining peak power in the same gear the BMW can carry the power out to 8300, less shifts are the difference so more time in power, simply shifting at the moment of peak torque doesn’t take into account having to build back up to that rpm and torque in the next gear, and every gear is longer than the next so it magnifies the rpm drop, better to rev as high as possible past peak torque while maintaining acceleration so when you shift the torque drops down less in the rev range and you stay in peak power for more of the time accelerating.

Accurate Dyno charts hold a lot of hidden information, the equation for horsepower is Torque x RPM / 5252 which is why every real dyno chart with a properly calibrated dyno will cross the HP and torque curve right around 5200 RPM. The BMW bests the Honda to the curve and while the Wing has to shift just at the curve and start the climb all over again the BMW is still climbin with more torque after 5,000rpm and continues to carry the power out all the way to 8,300. While the goldwing is at 4500rpm in 2nd gear the BMW is still pulling hard in first. Not even the super quick DCT shifting can overcome that kind of power and rpm difference.

·
Registered
1995 VT1100C2
3,460 Posts
...simply shifting at the moment of peak torque doesn’t take into account having to build back up to that rpm and torque in the next gear, and every gear is longer than the next so it magnifies the rpm drop, better to rev as high as possible past peak torque while maintaining acceleration so when you shift the torque drops down less in the rev range,,,
LOL "Rev as high as possible past peak torque". OK I will try,

·
Registered
2007 VT750DC Spirit “chopper”
690 Posts
LOL "Rev as high as possible past peak torque". OK I will try,
”rev as high as possible past peak torque while maintaining acceleration”. I worded it a specific way for a reason. 😁

41 - 44 of 44 Posts