Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to install risers with a 2-4" rise and a 1-2" pullback on my 2007 VLX600. Does anyone know if the 2009 VT750C riser (Part number 53231-mcl-000) fit??

If not, what part would you suggest?

Thanks
Don

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Does anyone know if the 2009 VT750C riser (Part number 53231-mcl-000) fits [a 2007 VLX600]??

Don't know for sure, but this much I do know. The length of the shank (red arrow) of the riser has to be equal or longer than the counterpart shank on the riser of the Shadow 600. It should be, being that the 750 is a heavier bike than the 600, it follows that the top triple tree would be at least the same thickness, or thicker, strength wise. I guess you can make up the difference by using washers for spacers. Spacers might not even be necessary, at all, if the threaded section doesn't protrude completely out of the bottom surface of the top bridge so nut #15 or equivalent is able to bottom out. Nut #15 on the OEM page is an acorn nut.

From here, a defunct VT1100 Sabre forum. However, the '07 Sabre and '07 Shadow 600 have the same riser part number 53231-MZ8-A20. You'll have to cross check yourself for other years. The larger point is that the risers shown in the pic directly above should be interchangeable with a 600. Btw, the "VT750C" that you cited is incorrect which is instead an Aero. Oh, yeah, a capital crime. Should have been » SHADOW SPIRIT (VT750C2) or » SHADOW SPIRIT (VT750C2F).

I have the same '07 Shadow 600 and installed an aftermarket 4-inch riser. In addition, I rotated the handlebars, and had to install a longer clutch cable to adjust for a full swing LEFT. Judging by the pic of the Spirit's riser alone, it appears that you'll have to install a longer clutch cable, as well, going this route. Wished I had been aware of this option. If you're not familiar with handlebar removal/re-assembly, or don't have a factory manual, you might want to pose a question about it later on the proper procedure and save you some....aligning the dimple marks on the handlebars with the risers, placing a towel on the tank, etc.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
The Spirit 750 risers will work with your VLX. If you are also unstalling the 750's handle bars (drag bars) it is an easy bolt on. You will not have to get longer cables for anything. Many VLX owners have done this.

If you are keeping your stock bars, however, I am not sure if the stock cables are long enough with the taller risers. Worth a shot I suppose. If they don't, it's either back to the old risers or get some longer cables. Pretty easy :)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Panteradon, I no longer have my VLX, but I replaced the stock risers on it with 03 Spirit 750 risers. I did have to reroute the cables but no big deal. It made for a much more comfortable ride. I rode from NC to NY and back and no problems. When I sold the VLX I kept the risers and they are on my Ace T now

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. It looks like the risers will work, but I just checked and the clutch cable will have to be replaced. I would think that the VT750C2 clutch cable will work, but I have not verified it.

Don in Houston

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Originally Posted by Panteradon

....but I just checked and the clutch cable will have to be replaced.
On stock '07 Honda 600's, the clutch cable is routed BEHIND the speedo cable. The problem with routing a longer clutch cable behind the speedo cable is that the longer cable binds or pushes on the speedo cable in a full swing RIGHT when the slack is at its fullest and has no where to go. You'd tunk the simple solution is to instead route the longer clutch cable INFRONT of the speedo cable. However, the longer cable would have to be even longer for the added distance that it takes to wrap around (infront) of the speedo cable instead of behind the speedo cable. So, add at least 2 more inches to what you think is necessary to the final length of your longer clutch cable.

Here's my problem....the length for my LONGER CABLE was insufficient since I didn't factor in the extra distance needed to go around (infront) of the speedo cable, such that, at a full swing LEFT, at its tightest, the new clutch cable strangled hold the speedometer cable, and put a tear into the speedo cable's sheathing. This wouldn't be a problem since the simple remedy is to re-order an even longer new cable. However, I forgot whether I originally ordered the new cable 2-inches longer than stock....or 4-inches longer than stock....so I don't have the correct measurement to reference off. There is no information page as to the length of stock cables that I know off. Thusly, if you do remove your stock clutch cable, would you measure the length of the Shadow 600 stock cable and PM me its stock length, so I'll have something to reference off. It's not that important either way.

I would think that the VT750C2 clutch cable will work, but I have not verified it.
From the pics I've seen so far of the VT750C2 clutch cables, the lower terminal appears different from the Shadow 600's. Dunno.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ronw - Have you tried to reroutew the clutch cable? BobNrtp said he rerouted, but I have not really looked at how. Not sure I will continue the project or not.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Have you tried to reroute the clutch cable? BobNrtp said he rerouted, but I have not really looked at how.
corrections edited in red

The only rerouting I did was with my longer cables, and that was to unclip the cable from the backside of the radiator which yielded some slack. BobNrtp said he rerouted, but didn't specify which cables he rerouted. I believe he meant the throttle cables on the right-handlebar, which he re-positioned behind the right-fork which is a common mod. Whereas, throttle cables are in front of the right-fork from factory. It's possible that he rerouted the clutch cable, itself, through the LEFT neck cover. Dunno. There's too many electrical connectors under the left neck cover for my comfort, although, it may be physically possible. But since I rotated my handlebars UP, the angle from the clutch perch to the adjacent left neck cover is on the steep side.

Not sure I will continue the project or not.
These mods take some thought. The snag here is whether or not the clutch cable is long enough with taller risers. Since you'll still have your factory risers with you, you can always put them back on while you shop around for longer clutch cables if indeed that turns out to be the case. It's not like your bike will be out of commission in the interim. That's the way most DIY owners wing it with their own mods, two steps back, 1½ steps forth.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Guys, I got my 750 Spirit risers and they fit great. I had to move the slack off the brake hose on the front up to the bar and reroute the clutch cable to run outside the hole on the left side of the frame and behind the fork. I can post pics if anyone wants to see them.

Don

·
Registered
9 Posts
would you be interested in selling the "stock" 1 inch? risers i want to put apes on mine and dont want a 4 inch riser my 750 has with them

1 - 10 of 10 Posts