Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Memphis Shade shield from a dealer for my 750 spirit. The dealer and online information I found indicated the height should be approximately eye level. That way if the shield is covered with rain, I can peer over the top. Mine is above eye level, but I can straighten up, tilt my head back and look over the top. I also have a two inch gap between the headlight and bottom of the shield cut out for the headlight. I think I get a lot of wind through there. My wind shield is too small?

·
Registered
17,988 Posts
I closed the gap between headlight and shield to 1/2"...
No air comes through, but I`ve seen weather stripping used to close the gap completely on some fairings...IF you were to lower the shield that 2" you could possibly have the correct height at below eye level too...

Good Luck...
Merry Christmas
Ann & Dennis

EDITTED for pic :D

·
Registered
323 Posts
I have mine about at the tip of my nose while I am in a comfortable riding position. Seems to keep the brunt of wind off me and I can see well. I have about a 1/2" gap at the most at the light. But with mine, I don't think I have but about a 3/4" slot to adjust anyway. Mine is on it's lowest setting. I moved it up once and didn't notice much of a difference so I moved it all the way back down.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
...IF you were to lower the shield that 2" you could possibly have the correct height at below eye level too...
^^^^+1 Dennis is right. What you want is no head buffeting at highway speeds. So lower it to close the gap but not enough to increase buffeting, and that should bring the shield to around eye level. I have a whole different set of problems with shields, but that is for another thread.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Lower your shield if possible and make sure the slant of the shield matches the rake of the forks.

·
Registered
354 Posts
"That way if the shield is covered with rain, I can peer over the top. Mine is above eye level, but I can straighten up, tilt my head back and look over the top."

Late summer 2002. On a mountain two-lane. GL1000 with vintage Windjammer. 3/4 helmet with Bausch & Lomb aviator prescription sunglasses.
Log trucks, quite a few. Twisty, steamy curvy roads, hot afternoon. Sudden thunderstorm. Glasses fogged instantly and the rain covered the windshield. I was blind. I pulled the glasses off with my left hand. Turned into a hayfield just as a skunk ambled by three feet in front of the bike. Had to get the hole in the seat repaired when we got home.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
"That way if the shield is covered with rain, I can peer over the top. Mine is above eye level, but I can straighten up, tilt my head back and look over the top."

Late summer 2002. On a mountain two-lane. GL1000 with vintage Windjammer. 3/4 helmet with Bausch & Lomb aviator prescription sunglasses.
Log trucks, quite a few. Twisty, steamy curvy roads, hot afternoon. Sudden thunderstorm. Glasses fogged instantly and the rain covered the windshield. I was blind. I pulled the glasses off with my left hand. Turned into a hayfield just as a skunk ambled by three feet in front of the bike. Had to get the hole in the seat repaired when we got home.
Wow, that skunk spray is potent enough to burn a hole in the bike's seat? :lol:

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
Daym!
That really IS holding a tight one.

·
Registered
5,811 Posts
There is no proper shield height. There is only personal preference. Many touring rigs come from the factory with shields that are intended to look through.

As long as you keep your shield waxed, rain has little effect on clarity. The thing to keep in mind is the errant spray that winds up on the inside of the shield. Keep that side waxed as well....

·
Registered
17,988 Posts
IF you Look closely at the pic I inserted, you see mounting holes from the factory...

I bought (glass only) a swap meet special for $10 and drilled holes for my application...
We modificate!! ;)

There is a thread too on cutting windshields...

Merry Christmas
Ann & Dennis

·
Registered
262 Posts
I have the National Cycles windshield. They have a lots of info on windshields. See the attached link.

National Cycle, Inc. | The Windshield Bible

I could not get the rake to match my forks, but have been very happy with the windshield. I look over the top of mine and even in rain, the water goes over my head, and buffeting at highway speed is greatly reduced. Even my hands are in the quite zone. I have a tag on my gloves that harldy flutters.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Gat, I'll try wax. It's just a matter of time before I get caught in the rain.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
i prefer not to have to look through the shield. so i lower it as low as possible. i do like the relief from chest wind. the shield still throws the wind over my head and rain, dirt, mud, sludge, road crap in general does not effect my field of vision. the visor on my helmet is another story, but only in cold/wet weather when i actually wear one..

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Thanks Gat, I'll try wax. It's just a matter of time before I get caught in the rain.
Wax works good. It even polishes out the light scratches. Under no circumstance use Rain-X. It will eat your shield up. It will cause a nasty hazing that can not be removed. A friend of mine used it and it ruined his.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts