Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For my third post, how many of you guys and gals have a windscreen or faring? I am partial to a batwing for ultimate winter comfort. Just want to know what y'all have and if you find one type or another is better for fuel economy.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
memphis shades 17in slim for me. just enough protection year round and I add hand guards in the winter.

I find that a fairing offers too much protection and looks well... less than desirable. I also have found I get the best mileage with no windshield at all. I've gotten 48.5mpg with no windshield, I think 45 is the best I've ever got with it on. I've been getting 34-36mpg with the winter grade gas, windshield, hand guards, pipes, tuner, and some warm up time before I ride to work when its been cold. So also mostly city driving, hopefully my new tune I made will up the MPG by 1 or 2.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks coop. So I take it you have a windshield for the nicer weather? What sort of shield and size do you have? And what about fuel economy with the batwing as opposed to the shield?

·
Registered
244 Posts
I had a medium sized National Cycle shield on my Shadow, and put a Memphis Shades batwing fairing on the Vulcan when I got it. I got the fairing so I could keep riding all winter while minimizing the abuse my hands took. For that it was great.

But in the summer, the fairing created a pocket of stagnant air that was pretty uncomfortable. Especially after I moved to Florida, I found myself taking off the fairing and riding with nothing when it was warm/hot, only using the fairing during cold or wet weather, or for long rides. Didn't really notice any significant mileage changes with or without either one. Just minor differences, but nothing crazy.

·
Registered
10,249 Posts
I have Memphis shades one, both are held on by their quick detach system, but mine are upgraded by PA in law to be strong, MS bra kets are junk, mine broke and lots of reports out there of them breaking. I only run the shield IF I take the fairing off, but I love the fairing, the look and function are what I like most.
Mpg, I have gotten right at 50 mpg with just shield, but that was not real common, I regularly get 40-45 with fairing. And for the record me and bike are right at 1000 lbs.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 11 of 11 Posts