Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Kind of new here. I need to get a windshield for longer rides. I do not have stock handle bars but rather drag bars.

How do I know what to get/ what will fit? Do I still get the same windshield just different mounts?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
107 Posts
1) You can do some serious miles without a windshield.
2) You might not actually like a windshield.
3) You can get a windshield that mounts on the forks.

I thought I needed a windshield so I ordered a Memphis Shades batwing fairing with the tallest windscreen they had. It was pretty straightforward and installed on my forks. I took it to the grocery store and the buffeting gave me a headache within 10 minutes. I grabbed some tortillas and by the time I got home that headache was there to stay. I've still got that windshield and the mounting hardware (minus one acorn nut) but I haven't used it since.

At first going 80 into the wind is pretty uncomfortable. And that's good motivation to stay off the big rock and ride funner roads. It forces you to be more aware of your surroundings. And that's an experience I value. But even so, you get used to dealing with wind after a while. At least if you're wearing earplugs, because that noise is deafening at high speeds!

·
Premium Member
1,897 Posts
If money is no object then pick out the best looking one you can find. If money is tight this is a great windshield for the price.
$65 including hardware and shipping. Slips on and off in 10 seconds.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
I wouldn't ride without a windscreen. Most manufactures can accommodate your drag bars. Just find the brand and style you like the discuss fitment with the manufacturer.
BTW, if the windscreen is causing more buffeting than its eliminating the fit or size isn't right.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
The OP's question was on which aftermarket windshield would fit his dragbars. As far as uncomfortable *buffeting* the OP has to find that out for himself. Different bikes and all that. The backside of the windshield creates a vacuum which draws air up from the lower part of the bike and the vacuum effect increases with speed producing turbulence on the backside of the windshield until your shirt gets pulled up exposing your belly button or a brasserie. That's why they install *lowers* in concert with a windshield to deflect the air stream, or have vents or vent the central area of the windshield to fill the vacuum that's created by the windshield.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Thats the whole thing, they dont fit your 'bars', they fit the bike, aka the forks.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Memphis shades for me, messed with a few and they're great. Come off easy and fast (literally flip a switch) no shake, and many options. Personally I Love my 17in slim, but something like a 21in fats is more suited to the shadows. Your drag bars shouldn't be and issue looks like the pull back and wouldn't interfere with a windshield of any make that is fork mount.

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
The Slims & Fats mount to the FORKS, as Furball Zen pointed out, but I believe the less costly shield, pictured near the beginning of this thread, mounts to the BARS.....

Please correct me if I am out in left field!

·
Registered
392 Posts
As someone else mentioned, they fit your bike not your bars. The fact that you have T bars don't play into the fitting at all. Both my bikes came with windshields and the most important thing is getting the right height. I don't like windshields because they effect the handling too much for my liking...both my bikes had them for a short time before putting a batwing on.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have a windshield. Love it on Cold riding and windy Days. Help to cut down on wind noise and all that good stuff. I will be removing it for a Memphis shade faring. But for now the Windshield is great.

I do remove it for short summer rides and for fun sometimes, But the windshield is nice.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
My Spirit has the stock drag bars which appear to be different from yours. I picked up a used National Cycle Deflector just to see if I'd like it in the winter. By conventional wisdom it is too small for the purpose. In practical use it does exactly what I want...keeps the worst of the wind off my chest. I planned on using it only in cold weather, but it never came off the bike.

Whatever you get, give it a fair trial. It took a few weeks of playing with the angles and placement before I found the sweet spot with no buffeting or bizarre wind noise. (My bike developed a bad exhaust popping for two weeks until I adjusted the height of the screen down about 1/2 inch. Low and behold the popping ceased...it was wind hitting my helmet just wrong that made the sound.

After a year with one, I can say I would have a bike without for running around town, but for getting out there I will always have one, and I never thought I'd like it.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
As someone else mentioned, they fit your bike not your bars. The fact that you have T bars don't play into the fitting at all. Both my bikes came with windshields and the most important thing is getting the right height. I don't like windshields because they effect the handling too much for my liking...both my bikes had them for a short time before putting a batwing on.
Your spec 3 VTX is awesome...just say'in. :)

·
Registered
354 Posts
1) You can do some serious miles without a windshield.
2) You might not actually like a windshield.
3) You can get a windshield that mounts on the forks.

I thought I needed a windshield so I ordered a Memphis Shades batwing fairing with the tallest windscreen they had. It was pretty straightforward and installed on my forks. I took it to the grocery store and the buffeting gave me a headache within 10 minutes. I grabbed some tortillas and by the time I got home that headache was there to stay. I've still got that windshield and the mounting hardware (minus one acorn nut) but I haven't used it since.

At first going 80 into the wind is pretty uncomfortable. And that's good motivation to stay off the big rock and ride funner roads. It forces you to be more aware of your surroundings. And that's an experience I value. But even so, you get used to dealing with wind after a while. At least if you're wearing earplugs, because that noise is deafening at high speeds!
You never did say, corn or flour?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts