Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well was thinking of getting a windshield or full face helmet so I can start riding earley in the cold weather to work. And was kind of worried about wind sell effect with a windshield. cant afford both so I thought I would ask the forum any advice would be appreciated

·
Registered
612 Posts
neither, or is that niether. regardless no sheild or FF helmet is needed for cold weather. Just a good neopreyene face mask. and neck gator!

·
Registered
91 Posts
I used to ride with only a full face helmet. I put a windshield on my latest bike and I now have both and love them as they are a great combination for me. :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so far I like the idea of a gator and a neoprem face mask i dont like the idea of a windshield on my bike but I thought it might help with the wind

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have both. Full face for protection and to break wind. In the warmer months the windshield comes off. It's nice when it's cold, but I really don't like the cop bike look.

Beck

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I have a neck gaiter which really helps no matter what else you have. I bought a nice one for $20 at Cycle Gear and just love it.

On the bike I have a Chopped Shield and use a full face. The shield keeps you warmer but causes alot more turbulence and noise around my helmet. I prefer to ride without the windshield so it comes off when it is warm. That being said I was able to ride all winter because I had the shield and may not have done that if I didn't have it.

If I could only do one I would do the full face and the neck gaiter. Or for the price of either new you could get used on EBAY. That is what I did.

I got a $130 helmet that was only worn a couple of times for $20 and a $250 shield (including the bracket) for $100.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I have both the windshield and full face (modular) helmet.
I also wear glasses. I find that looking thru all 3 layers of plastic gives me objectionable reflections. I try to look over the windshield and find that uncomfortable. So, I ride with the helmet and keet the face shield open when I have the windshield installed. In the summer I use the helmet and face shield only and remove the windshield from the bike.
Cheers,
Haze

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just some thoughts:

Depending on your bike, the windshield idea may not be as simple as it sounds. I have a Spirit 1100 with the switchblade. It's nice because it comes off or goes on in about a second. I doubt if I could mount a lightbar and still be able to pull the shield on/off though. The shield helps tremendously with the pressure and windchill on the upper body, but it doesn't block everything.

There's no sail effect but wind would updraft underneath the shield pulling the shirt up, hitting my chest, and causing some helmet turbulence and noise. I fixed a lot of that by raising the front turn signals a couple of inches. There's still a lot of wind around my legs and over my knees. Lowers will probably fix that as well as solve the updraft issue but I won't be able to pull them off/on like the shield. I could get chrome ones which would be a nicer permanent addition but would have to relocate the turn signals onto a lightbar which would then block the easy install of the windshield.
Engine guards with chaps is another idea but I don't really want guards.

The limiting factor for cold weather riding though is my hands. The windshield doesn't cover them. Big heavy gloves, heated gloves, "handlebar chaps", little "hand windshields", and heated grips are the options there.

By the time I have this all worked out it will be summer and I'll forget all about it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
helmet/windshield

I use both and like the heck out of both. If money is an object go to jafrum.com and you can get a full face modular helmet for $59 bucks and its a kick butt helmet (yes its DOT approved).

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I took my windshield off a couple weeks ago and may never put it back on! I like the way the bike handles better without the windshield that was actually way too tall for me anyway. Come spring, I may order a shorter replacement plastic, but for now-forget it.

I also have a "cheapie" Jafrum full face mask-- it sucks-- lots of noise, whistling and riding up. I really needed an XS thought, and my husband talked me into a Small.

I just ordered last year's N-102 modular for $200--- can't wait!!! I would never ride without a full face... I love them!

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have a windshield and 3/4 helmet. Not only does the windshield help with the colder days, but long rides are alot more comfortable especially on windy days.

I can ride comfortably down to 40 degrees with chaps, leather coat and summer leather gloves. The windshield is definitely the way to go.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
denisep said:
I took my windshield off a couple weeks ago and may never put it back on! I like the way the bike handles better without the windshield that was actually way too tall for me anyway. Come spring, I may order a shorter replacement plastic, but for now-forget it.

I also have a "cheapie" Jafrum full face mask-- it sucks-- lots of noise, whistling and riding up. I really needed an XS thought, and my husband talked me into a Small.

I just ordered last year's N-102 modular for $200--- can't wait!!! I would never ride without a full face... I love them!
BOTH! Except I too am getting a a modular for the summer.

Denisep,
you can have a plastics company cut that windshield to fit your specifications for less than you can get a new shield. Just a thought.

·
Registered
612 Posts
cbjr0256 said:
Full Face and a windshield......why a full face?

I bet a neoprene face mask wouln't protect you like this.....

http://jeff.dean.home.att.net/swisherhelmet1.jpg
Yea right, and a bullet proof vest isn't going to help you if you get popped in the back of the head,,,WHAT'S YOUR POINT?

I simply believe that a neck gator which I have, and a neopreyene face mask which I also have. Will provide you with ample protection down to 31 degrees,,,which it has done for me. That is at interstate speeds for a long ways. Of coarse if you go out with this gear and a pair of jeans and cotton gloves you deserve to freeze your ass off for being such a dumb ass.

·
Registered
710 Posts
If, it's either/or, I'd start w/ a helmet, I use a full face modular. (and I have a windshield w/ lowers) I've been hit a few times, hard, w/ rocks. Without the helmet, I'm sure I wouldn't have been able to stay on the bike. Not mention bugs, birds & what else flies around the highway.

And not too long ago, on another forum, someone posted that their husband was riding behind a cattle truck & got hit w/ a cow patty. he was able to raise his visor & see until he could wash it off. :lol: Imagine getting hit w/o a helmet on. :lol: sorry I still laugh at that visual.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I use both. I like the full-face helmet for protection. And I like my Memphis Shades Windshield especially in colder weather. But the windshield usually comes off during the hottest part of the summer except when I'm going on a long ride. It's real easy to put on and take off; takes about 30 seconds.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts