Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
trjam,

Most of us use the trail-n-error method. I know this doesn't answer your question( :oops:) but it's just that way. By your posted pic your a tall guy. The windshield looks too far back(at the top) and this is allowing a lot of "spill over" hitting your helmet.

I'd "angle" the windshield more forward (about 3/4", eyeball accurate) and IF possible as high as possible on the "height" adjustment bolts/nuts. Test ride and adjust as needed.

You should try it as "low" as possible (but the changed angle) as well. Being "taller" this msybe the better choice/direction. It all depends on your comfort level.

Bullzeyet

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I actually just raised them about 3 inches. They were low almost on top of the headlight based on the cut out. I was getting some pretty bad buffeting. I have not ridden this morning with them higher yet.

Cant tilt them any further back due to hitting the speedometer. It is about 1/4 of an inch off of it now. Thanks.

·
Registered
365 Posts
trjam,

I recall that when I bought my windshield, it was recommended that the top of the windshield should fall somewhere between the tip of your nose to the bridge between your eyes. It seems that in your signature pict, it may be too low for you. I am wondering if raising it 3", as you mentioned, that some wind might still get in around the headlight.

I was getting a lot of buffeting before adding the windshield and much less after installing one. I also added lowers which also helped a great deal. I angled my windshield back further when installing it.

Hope this helps - bikervas

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Trjam,
I know just what you mean, and it would also look alot better if you could mount the windshield at the same angle as the front forks (just my personal preference) but the speedometer gets in the way. To solve that problem, I bought risers to bring the handlebars back and used a Cobra speedometer housing to bring the speedometer back further and lean the windshield back to where I liked it. But, I still had an updraft (buffeting) So the I had to put a pair of lowers on the forks to elliminate the updraft. I learned about them here on the forum and there are numerous others who use them here. >PD<

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
there is definetly going to be air getting in around the headlight because raising it created about a 3 inch opening. May have to live with it though because I needed it to be higher as we all agree on. Will ride it in a little while to check the difference. Some have said it is better to leave some of a opening around the headlight.

·
Registered
209 Posts
trjam said:
there is definetly going to be air getting in around the headlight because raising it created about a 3 inch opening. May have to live with it though because I needed it to be higher as we all agree on. Will ride it in a little while to check the difference. Some have said it is better to leave some of a opening around the headlight.
trjam,

I think the windshields are made in different lengths. I know it stinks to have bought something that you really doesn't work right for you, but trying to use something that isn't right for the purpose usually results in nothing but frustration.

If you think you need a taller shield, you might think about about trading or selling yours and getting what you really need.

This windshield business is bothering me also, so I can sympathize with your plight. For me, everythings great until I get to about 65 MPH, then it gets real bad real fast. It'll just about turn my helmet around on my head. Been experimenting too, mostly unsuccessfully though.

John

·
Registered
542 Posts
I angled the w/s back as close to even as I could with the fork angle like PainterD said. The reasoning behind it was that is the same angle that my Valkyrie Tourer was angled at from the factory. I figured that Honda has some fairly sharp engineers and I'm just a dumb Florida Cracker 8) ! Seems to be a good compromise between wind protection and highway speed buffeting. It's a Memphis Fats on a SS750.
[img
][/img]

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well it worked. Just got back from riding 70 miles on expressways and back roads. Seems raising it worked. Pretty smooth and my head didnt feel like a bobble-head doll. Around 75 mph, wind is still a little of a issue, but I guess it should be. When I would raise up with my mouth and above over the shield the buffeting started. So for now I am happy. Plus it is 72 here when it should be 50 so going back out. We do have some wind today and when you are crusing and the road angles into it, boy, you can tell. This bike gets better and better as it gets a few miles on it.

Has anyone stuck floorboards on theirs. On the highway my feet would have prefered them to the crappy stock pegs. Thanks to all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.