Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Honda Shadow Spirit. VT1100cx
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy Guys. I searched around the forum and didn't quite find the answer I was looking for.
I am riding the highways to work now, and I'm thinking a windshield would make my ride a lot more enjoyable.
What wind shields you taller guys rocking? This will go on my 1999 Shadow Spirit 1100
Tire Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle Fuel tank

·
Registered
2005 Honda Sabre 1100
176 Posts
I like removable type, if you get the urge to ride without it. They say that the top of the windshield should be even with your eyes. It blocks most of the wind, but you aren’t looking through it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Probably the MemphisShades DropTop

Probably their tallest model depending on your height. The extra wing on top should kill the head-shaking turbulence at highway speeds.
Closest ready made setup to mine that I know of. I've got 3 bikes with the 2-layer setup now, all work, , size-shape doesn't seem to matter as much as having the 2 layers.. one has a smaller wing like the Memphis Shades, one about 2 equal parts and my 1100 with a large top layer, all work. I'd add an engine guard and some deflectors to make it even better. My 1100:

Edit: angles don't look like it, but I do look over this.

Plant Fuel tank Tire Wheel Automotive fuel system

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Probably the MemphisShades DropTop

Probably their tallest model depending on your height. The extra wing on top should kill the head-shaking turbulence at highway speeds.
Closest ready made setup to mine that I know of. I've got 3 bikes with the 2-layer setup now, all work, , size-shape doesn't seem to matter as much as having the 2 layers.. one has a smaller wing like the Memphis Shades, one about 2 equal parts and my 1100 with a large top layer, all work. I'd add an engine guard and some deflectors to make it even better. My 1100:

Edit: angles don't look like it, but I do look over this.

View attachment 298984
I’m 6’2”

·
Registered
2003 VT1100C Spirit
1,069 Posts
I have the Memphis Shades Fats 21" w/quick release mounts, plus Memphis Shades Lowers. Wind management is pretty good...no helmet buffeting, but I'd like the windshield height to be a bit shorter. We basically have the same bike and I'm 6'2".

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
10,133 Posts
Normally the height should be just under your nose unless you can crank your head above anything higher when summer bugs invade your shield at night time. Don't be surprised you get buffeting after installing a full on wide arse shield thus lower's will usually help but...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have the Memphis Shades Fats 21" w/quick release mounts, plus Memphis Shades Lowers. Wind management is pretty good...no helmet buffeting, but I'd like the windshield height to be a bit shorter. We basically have the same bike and I'm 6'2".

View attachment 298990
I love how that looks. Beautiful bike! Thanks for the info man, I was hoping to find someone my height with a similar bike. You nailed it for me lol

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Normally the height should be just under your nose unless you can crank your head above anything higher when summer bugs invade your shield at night time. Don't be surprised you get buffeting after installing a full on wide arse shield thus lower's will usually help but...

+1 on the large shield maybe being worse. I tried the +2 Clearview, and it was definitely not any better. terrible vacuum behind the shield, so bad it was constantly trying to pull my head in. I was chewing on a toothpick one day, doing about 40 or so on a side road. Toothpick slipped and instead of blowing away, it hovered in front of me, drifted forward and dropped down on the gas cap.
filling that vacuum is the key.

The buffeting problem is a Von Karman vortex. (do a search)

The 2-layer setup eliminates 90% of the buffeting, deflectors on the engine guard take care of the stuff coming in from underneath, angle them to direct air up into the vacuum behind the shield. (I found the fork lowers to be too far forward on the 1100 to do any good) I ride my setup above on week+ trips in an open face helmet while looking over the shield. You may need to leave the fork deflectors if there's too much of a gap between the bottom of the shield and the top of the deflector. If possible without them hitting the tank or engine guard at full lock, mount the fork lowers on the back side of the fork tubes so they are not in the same plane as the windshield. Only time I get any buffeting is when there's a strong quartering headwind coming in at a 45 degree angle behind the shield.

fwiw, those with a Memphis Shades Fats could maybe just buy the droptop plastic and top parts.

disclaimer: I have not tried their specific setup, but pretty sure it will work. though I might make some spacers for a bit larger gap between the layers. I did spend 11 years (and a bunch of money) experimenting and looking for a windshield setup that actually worked... I believe it's now been another 11 years and I've not found any thing better than my setups.. Note the newer Goldwings and RoadGlides now have a large opening at the bottom between the shield and fairing, They are using the fairing as the 2nd layer now. multiple manufacturers have adapted something similar.

I worked on an F6B short factory shield. took the top 6" I'd cut off the Tourer shield and bolted it to the F6B shield on 2" plastic stand-offs. Completely cured the terrible buffeting of the factory shield for me at 5'11". Unfortunately, the owner was 6'3" and needed it taller, so re-did it later.

11 years compressed into one post,,,

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
+1 on the large shield maybe being worse. I tried the +2 Clearview, and it was definitely not any better. terrible vacuum behind the shield, so bad it was constantly trying to pull my head in. I was chewing on a toothpick one day, doing about 40 or so on a side road. Toothpick slipped and instead of blowing away, it hovered in front of me, drifted forward and dropped down on the gas cap.
filling that vacuum is the key.

The buffeting problem is a Von Karman vortex. (do a search)

The 2-layer setup eliminates 90% of the buffeting, deflectors on the engine guard take care of the stuff coming in from underneath, angle them to direct air up into the vacuum behind the shield. (I found the fork lowers to be too far forward on the 1100 to do any good) I ride my setup above on week+ trips in an open face helmet while looking over the shield. You may need to leave the fork deflectors if there's too much of a gap between the bottom of the shield and the top of the deflector. If possible without them hitting the tank or engine guard at full lock, mount the fork lowers on the back side of the fork tubes so they are not in the same plane as the windshield. Only time I get any buffeting is when there's a strong quartering headwind coming in at a 45 degree angle behind the shield.

fwiw, those with a Memphis Shades Fats could maybe just buy the droptop plastic and top parts.

disclaimer: I have not tried their specific setup, but pretty sure it will work. though I might make some spacers for a bit larger gap between the layers. I did spend 11 years (and a bunch of money) experimenting and looking for a windshield setup that actually worked... I believe it's now been another 11 years and I've not found any thing better than my setups.. Note the newer Goldwings and RoadGlides now have a large opening at the bottom between the shield and fairing, They are using the fairing as the 2nd layer now. multiple manufacturers have adapted something similar.

I worked on an F6B short factory shield. took the top 6" I'd cut off the Tourer shield and bolted it to the F6B shield on 2" plastic stand-offs. Completely cured the terrible buffeting of the factory shield for me at 5'11". Unfortunately, the owner was 6'3" and needed it taller, so re-did it later.

11 years compressed into one post,,,
Thanks for your insight man!

·
Registered
2006 750 spirit
6 Posts
Howdy Guys. I searched around the forum and didn't quite find the answer I was looking for.
I am riding the highways to work now, and I'm thinking a windshield would make my ride a lot more enjoyable.
What wind shields you taller guys rocking? This will go on my 1999 Shadow Spirit 1100
View attachment 298983
[/QUOTE
View attachment 298983
I have a Memphis Fats with quick disconnect mounts. You can order them in 3 heights, I think it is. I ordered the tallest one but ended up cutting some off it. Their web site has detailed information on how to determine the proper height. They also have instructions on how to cut one down. I mounted a smaller windshield bag on it which has really been useful. O6 Shadow Spirit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts