Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I've done some searches and found this issue mentioned in passing but never directly dealt with (or maybe I just missed it).

I just installed a Memphis Shades Fats on my Shadow. I have it set so the top aligns with the tip of my nose (or close to it) and set to the same angle as my forks.

When I get to about 40 mph I get some pretty strong buffeting on my helmet. It's enough to impact my vision at speeds above 60 mph (too much shaking going on). I see this as a safety issue as well as one of comfort.

I have seen mention that putting on Lowers will take care of this. I have already sunk plenty of cash into this windshield venture and before I sink in any more (windshields, mounts and lowers are not returnable once installed) I want to be sure the lowers will make a difference.

Advice or Opinions please...

Pic's of windshield install below

·
Registered
404 Posts
One way to determine if lowers are needed is to hold your arm across in front of you while riding basically across your chest if the helmet buffeting stops lowers will solve the problem. I got this advice on the VTX site for my bike and as soon as I put my arm across in front of me the helmet buffeting stopped. I invested in the lowers and no longer have the dreaded helmet shake. Hope this helps you it is a good way to test before you buy the lowers.

·
Registered
649 Posts
One way to determine if lowers are needed is to hold your arm across in front of you while riding basically across your chest if the helmet buffeting stops lowers will solve the problem. I got this advice on the VTX site for my bike and as soon as I put my arm across in front of me the helmet buffeting stopped. I invested in the lowers and no longer have the dreaded helmet shake. Hope this helps you it is a good way to test before you buy the lowers.

Worked for me as well, so, I built my own lowers. Here's a link if you want to build your own: http://www.shadowaero750.com/files/lowers.pdf

·
Registered
404 Posts
That is a great pdf file. My wife has those lowers on her 04 Aero I guess the guy we bought it from was a member here and now we have the directions to make a new set for her 07 Aero we just got. Thanks for posting that.

·
Banned
464 Posts
I have seen mention that putting on Lowers will take care of this.
Sometimes it will, sometimes not.

The "arm test" is good; you can also feel around with your left hand for the offending air stream.

Before you spend any more money, try standing the shield more upright.....about half way between where you have it now and completely verticle. Raising it up an inch or so along with that might make a big difference ....IF....the offending air is coming over the top.

If the buffeting is coming from the bottom, changing the angle as above along with dropping it DOWN as far as you can sometimes will help too.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All,

Thanks for tips. I tried raising the windshield a bit. I now have a really large gap above the headlight (about 2 inches). This seemed to help some but not a complete fix.

I tried the arm thing and yes there is air coming from below. Funny that the Memphis Shades windshield is curved down at the bottom which would direct even more are below (maybe so they can sell lowers too). I also felt the wind at the top and noted that the main force of air just brushes the top of my helmet. This is with the windshield raised and tilted full back.

For now I am removing the windshield until I can get lowers installed then I will work on getting the windshield height and angle dialed in.

Beginning to think I should have put the money into some warmer gear and not done the windshield, but I can't return it so.... (frustrating).

·
Banned
464 Posts
For now I am removing the windshield until I can get lowers installed then I will work on getting the windshield height and angle dialed in.
Getting the height and angle "dialed in" might eliminate the need for lowers altogether.

While a lot of riders have lowers and love them, a far larger number of others are able to adjust their shield for a perfectly good result without them.

If you have a large gap at the bottom.......and suspect the offending air is coming from the bottom......dropping the shield down and making it more vertical would certainly seem to be worth the few minutes it would take for a test.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
...dropping the shield down and making it more vertical would certainly seem to be worth the few minutes it would take for a test.
Thanks A-Rider, I did try it with the windshield fully down to close up as much of the headlight gap as I can and the windshield fully vertical still buffeting.

Truth be told, I'm ready to give it a rest for a bit and then tinker with it some more. wish I had a wind tunnel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts