Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

With all the snow, I decided to pick up a winter project to keep me occupied when I couldn't ride. This is a 1982 Yamaha 550 Maxim. It sat for a lot of years so it needed a lot of work to get it running. Finally got it on the road today and it's really a fun bike to ride.

Happy Trails!

sanoke

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
sanoke said:
With all the snow, I decided to pick up a winter project to keep me occupied when I couldn't ride. This is a 1982 Yamaha 550 Maxim. It sat for a lot of years so it needed a lot of work to get it running. Finally got it on the road today and it's really a fun bike to ride.

Happy Trails!

sanoke
Does the transmission shift more like a swiss watch as compaired to your Shadow?
Have you noticed while riding it a far less need to know what gear your in?
MarkC

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MarkC said:
sanoke said:

Happy Trails!

sanoke
Does the transmission shift more like a swiss watch as compaired to your Shadow?
MarkC
Yes, shifting is very smooth. It's a six speed box so it's easy to keep it in the power band for any given speed. As for knowing what gear I'm in, I only need to make sure I get back to first before I stop.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I like the rims on that.

·
Registered
590 Posts
MarkC said:
sanoke said:

Happy Trails!

sanoke
MarkC
Mark, sanoke only needs 2 gears for the kind of weather he rides in. :twisted: AND he is fooling talking about "POWER BAND" He can sit still and go thru the gears and not move two feet. Kidding, before anyone starts to flame me.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Spirited said:
MarkC said:
sanoke said:

Happy Trails!

sanoke
MarkC
Mark, sanoke only needs 2 gears for the kind of weather he rides in. :twisted: AND he is fooling talking about "POWER BAND" He can sit still and go thru the gears and not move two feet. Kidding, before anyone starts to flame me.
You know, there's actually some truth in what you say. Having six speeds means that 1st and 2nd are pretty low. It makes it real nice for riding across ice. It's like having a creaper gear. I can stick it in 1st, let the clutch out, climb off the bike and sprinkle sand on the road as I wait for the bike to catch up to me. :wink:

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Hey John,
How did you come by buying the 500?

what all did you have to do to get it running.

bet ya got a good deal on it too!

droy

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
I have that same model, only in a 750 and your right - they are a screamer! That thing hauls a$$. I'm in the middle of chopping mine (into a bobber) and can't wait till all this sub-zero passes so I can make some test runs on it. They are just the right size for spinning donuts in the snow too!! :roll: >PD<

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
droy said:
Hey John,

droy
I'd been wanting to get something else to tinker with over the winter. I've got both of my other bikes running pretty well so there just wasn't much to do on them. I started watching Craig's List looking for an early 80's Japanese bike in the $500-$600 range. I wanted something that had fairly low miles so the engine and drive train would be good but that had sat for a while so would need a lot of little things fixed. I got just what I was looking for in the 550 Maxim. It has 14,000 miles and is basically pretty sound. I had to rebuild the carbs, replace some cables, clean the electrical connections and tune and adjust everything. I've still got a ways to go with it but it's running well at this point and I'm having a ball riding it. I can make it out of the neighborhood on the sidewalks with this one because the handlebars are narrow enough to fit past the mail boxes and the parked cars. Can't do that on my other two bikes.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
sanoke said:
droy said:
Hey John,

droy
I'd been wanting to get something else to tinker with over the winter. I've got both of my other bikes running pretty well so there just wasn't much to do on them. I started watching Craig's List looking for an early 80's Japanese bike in the $500-$600 range. I wanted something that had fairly low miles so the engine and drive train would be good but that had sat for a while so would need a lot of little things fixed. I got just what I was looking for in the 550 Maxim. It has 14,000 miles and is basically pretty sound. I had to rebuild the carbs, replace some cables, clean the electrical connections and tune and adjust everything. I've still got a ways to go with it but it's running well at this point and I'm having a ball riding it. I can make it out of the neighborhood on the sidewalks with this one because the handlebars are narrow enough to fit past the mail boxes and the parked cars. Can't do that on my other two bikes.
Hey now thats a good idea! ride the bike on the sidewalk to get out
to dry pavement. i will have to do some investigating see if handle bars
will clear. iam in the middle of the block so, have quite a ways to go.

still would have to shovel a path from the back yard too. snow is starting to melt pretty good now. hope we dont get anymore snow.

droy

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,218 Posts
Had one just like it -- except for the mountains. It's the bike that got me back into riding after a 20+ year layoff. And I picked it up as a winter project -- it only had 2,600 miles on it and I bought it from the 2nd owner! Probably $1,300 or so "all in" to get it on the road and I sold it for a little more than that after 2 years.

It was a fun bike but a little challenged for 2-up. I found the riding position a bit uncomfortable after an hour+ in the saddle. But I really would have liked having that bike around for my wife when she started riding last year! We bought her a 1996 250 Nighthawk with 1,700 miles on it for $500 and then dropped a few more $$$ getting it running again. But it's not enough bike now and we're looking to move up.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Trueseaker said:
I like the rims on that.
I thought the same and bought a front wheel like that on Ebay. After a ton of work removing the edges on the spokes and rim, polishing etc., it turned out awesome. It's on a bud's trike. I gotta brave the cold and get a pic. A really nice wheel indeed. And a lot of Yamaha's had them. Too bad they are such diamonds in the rough. Later

1 - 13 of 13 Posts