Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I just started riding in March of 2020 mainly as an alternative to public transportation due to coronavirus. I bought a 150cc Chinese scooter to go from Brooklyn to NJ and I was hooked. Of course needing more speed and power I purchased a Kymco xciting 500i maxi scooter and loved the clutchless 2 wheeling life but did not quite feel like a biker, especially when no one would give me a wave, 馃槀. So I started to search for a "real bike" in September and happened to find my beautiful candy apple red 1986 Honda vt700 shadow and I can't stop riding . It's now January and I refuse to let the wind chill factor, rain, nighttime, below 30 degree weather of NYC keep me and Canday from consummating our relationship with the highways! I got the right gear, the right attitude and I think I'm cray cray crazay and so does everyone else who knows of my 50plus mile a day commute! BTW I'm 59 years old and will be 60 this summer. I think that since I'm a late bloomer to biking I'm making up for lost time in a big way ...and I don't see myself changing my mind and my bike agrees. Thanks for letting me share...hope to see you on the roads 馃洠.
20201214_074253_2(1).jpg

Registered
If the roads are dry, with the right gear winter riding is doable.

I`ve ridden in the 30`s many, many times.

Sunshine and lack of wind help immensely.

My fingers bother me because of previous frostbite not related to riding.

Shadows are inherently cold blooded. Sometimes they are hard to start below 32degrees, even with a good battery.

Good Luck, Ride Safe, Nice looking bike.

Premium Member
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
I don't winter ride even when it is dry and sunny because I don't like what salt does to nice bikes.
BITD I used to ride in full snowmobile attire complete with mitts and boots.
It was fun, steering with mostly throttle and thought, but ice could put you into a difficult situation suddenly and I still have a knee that remembers a time it got caught between the tank and the handlebar. Be careful out there.

BTW that is a good looking bike, keep the salt off it especially the underside you don't see.

Edit: I forgot Welcome to here!

Registered
Welcome to the "Madhouse" @Rev.manofgod and to winter riding...
We Ride year round here in swGA, but that sure ain`t like the weather y`all got up north...
Keep the bike washed of road dirt/salt during these salty conditions and your Bike will serve you well..
Lets RIDE in 2021,
Dennis

Registered
Welcome, beautiful bike. Looks like you already have chaps and boots, Full-face helmet and scarf around the neck help. As does a windshield and lower deflectors or engine guard chaps to keep the blast off your legs. I used to ride to work in the winter if it wasn't snowing or melting off. Think I'm riding less now that I retired as I don't get the commuting miles I used to. Worked 4pm-midnight so had some chilly night rides.

Registered
2003 VT1100C Spirit
Howdy Rev.manofgod!

Congratulations on your great looking new ride!

I guess I'm just too warm blooded down here Texas way to go riding in the snow. As a matter of fact, if the weather forecast looks like the temps are gonna drop into the 50's (藲F), we bundle up as if a nor'easter is about to blow in...

Ride safe, Stay warm!

Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
Welcome Rev, enjoy the ride.

Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
Howdy Rev.manofgod!

Congratulations on your great looking new ride!

I guess I'm just too warm blooded down here Texas way to go riding in the snow. As a matter of fact, if the weather forecast looks like the temps are gonna drop into the 50's (藲F), we bundle up as if a nor'easter is about to blow in...

Ride safe, Stay warm!

I'm in Texas also and I agree. I did start riding in the 40s some days but the bike does have to be warmed up a bit more.
Add another Welcome. 50 miles in that cold of weather with no windshield is rough. I'd be looking for some protection even if I totally removed it in the summer. You must have some really good gear, especially the gloves.

Registered
Welcome, I too used to ride all year. Not to bad in NC, not an issue at all when I lived in south FL. But I have been in the wind during a sleet storm, not fun.. but I did it and survived. I didn't own a cage at the time. But I still get out on a bike when it's cold , just not at or below freezing anymore. A nice windshield will keep the wind off ya. And the removable ones are quick to take off for warm weather.
Enjoy the riding, and stay safe.

Registered
Grew up in Northern Saskatchewan, nope,lol I ride as much as possible here in Maryland....as long as there is no precip in the colder months, will ride......My commute used to be 20 miles.....now its down to 5.... Was -4c (25F) this morning, but for a 10 min ride...could almost wear go sleeveless and not suffer all that much,lol

Registered
02 1100 Spirit / 2012 Goldwing
I'm a year round rider as well. Heated gear is awesome when temps are in the teens! Once you ride with a windshield you may never take it off!

Registered
2001 Shadow Spirit 750
Welcome from another cold weather rider. Still riding this winter. 21 this morning! Heated grips and good gloves along with a few layers. Rinse that bike well after riding on salted roads and watch out for those slick spots. Enjoy that great looking bike. search "winter riding nuts" for more great info on what others are doing for riding in the cold.

Registered
Yes, I agree with "Wind guards & Heated grips", they work!

Some of my winter riding mods >> The Rest of the Story (pics)
Once you get used to the wind protection you`ll leave it in place,
Dennis

Registered
Yes, I agree with "Wind guards & Heated grips", they work!

Some of my winter riding mods >> The Rest of the Story (pics)
Once you get used to the wind protection you`ll leave it in place,
Dennis
Yep, In my younger days I used to say " If I wanted to be behind a windshield, I'll just get in my car." Went from that to spending 11 years perfecting a motorcycle windshield that works. Amazing how things change.

Registered
I've been riding for about 17 years but I have to say, you just inspired me. :cool:

I was a late starter too, first riding at age 50, also on a scooter. For years I'd ride and commute in any weather my gear and the road conditions would allow. I loved it.
Your post reminded me of that.

Over the last couple of years I sorta got away from cold weather riding. I think it's age related...It's very tempting to just sit in the recliner, nice and comfy, and share some low-fat crackers with my dog.
Yes, I still ride a little almost every month of the year. I never put up my bike for the winter, but I've been much more ummm....selective :sneaky: ...about riding in the cold.

Well, I'm digging out my winter riding gear, getting my butt in the saddle, and riding the range. Why wait, miserable, until Spring? I've been cooped up long enough.

Thanks. :giggle:

Registered
I don't ride in winter because Scotland is cold from Nov to Apr and bloody rains all the time :rolleyes:
When I say cold, I mean icy roads...

Registered
1984 Magna VF700C
I just started riding in March of 2020 mainly as an alternative to public transportation due to coronavirus. I bought a 150cc Chinese scooter to go from Brooklyn to NJ and I was hooked. Of course needing more speed and power I purchased a Kymco xciting 500i maxi scooter and loved the clutchless 2 wheeling life but did not quite feel like a biker, especially when no one would give me a wave, 馃槀. So I started to search for a "real bike" in September and happened to find my beautiful candy apple red 1986 Honda vt700 shadow and I can't stop riding . It's now January and I refuse to let the wind chill factor, rain, nighttime, below 30 degree weather of NYC keep me and Canday from consummating our relationship with the highways! I got the right gear, the right attitude and I think I'm cray cray crazay and so does everyone else who knows of my 50plus mile a day commute! BTW I'm 59 years old and will be 60 this summer. I think that since I'm a late bloomer to biking I'm making up for lost time in a big way ...and I don't see myself changing my mind and my bike agrees. Thanks for letting me share...hope to see you on the roads 馃洠. View attachment 291721
Happy riding! And wow what a great looking bike!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts