Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ride with a full face helmet and a textil tourmaster jacket that has multiple laters. For the winter I was planning on adding the outside rain layer to help block the chilly wind while riding. Last night I found out thats not going to work. After hitting about 55MPH so much wind was hitting my chest and shooting upward to my helmet i could feel my helmet start to lift of my head. once I took the outer layer off and the wind could pass thought the mesh layer again all was well again just cold. So what type of jacket does everyone use during the winter that would help with this issue?

·
Registered
199 Posts
I just layer up under my leather jacket with Helly Hanson and am toasty warm.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I dont even have rain gear. I've ridden in some pretty gnarly storms in my leathers and stayed dry, so I don't really see the point. My shins getting wet is the only bit that sucks.

So I'm going with windshield and good quality leathers. And lots of layers.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Joe Rocket Ballistic (Mine is 3.0--- I think they're up to 7.0 now) Touring jacket and pants. Long jacket is good down to freezing with the liner. I don't ride if it's below freezing. Be warned--- it's too hot to wear in normal temps with the liner. Too hot for summer without it.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
no windshield. no wind jacket, just leather jacket with liner from leatherup.com. sweater under neath if below 40º. flannel lined jeans with compression long underwear, if below 40º.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I ride with the X-Element Mesh jacket for 60* or higher, and then I switch to an X-Element jacket with the removable liner for below 60*. Don't need the liner till about 40* depending on what I wear underneath. This jacket has also kept me dry in the rain and I'm really happy with the fit and adjustability.

With underarmor compression gear underneath, I'm good into the 20's for up to two hours. I did just get electric gloves for this winter season, as that's always been my cold zone below 30*.

As for the wind hitting your chin and neck, A windshield helps alot to be able to ride into the lower temps. I have a National Cycle Switchblade 2-up, which is a quick release windshield that I can remove without tools. This shield works with the OEM Lightbar, as the Memphis Fats Shields do not without making some modifications to the lightbar mounts. I still have some air slipping up around the tank, where lowers would be a good option, but a $5 Dickie Neck warmer at Wal-mart is a lot cheaper!

Ride On:!::mrgreen:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Winter Riding Gear

So what type of jacket does everyone use during the winter that would help with this issue?
I've got a leather jacket from Jafrum (Motorcycle Jackets - Mens Vented Leather Motorcycle Jacket MJ423) that (so far) has kept me comfortable to the mid 30s, and that's wearing just a regular long-sleeved rugby shirt underneath. Haven't needed a sweatshirt yet.

A caveat: I love the jacket cost, style, fit, and warmth, but dubious about the long-term quality. My second time wearing it, one of the front breast pocket zippers broke. Jafrum seems willing to replace it, though I had to pay return shipping. I hope this was just one instance of bad luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.