Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Shadow Spirit 750
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So winter is coming up and I see a lot of members are looking for tips on "winterizing" their bikes. Making plans for the projects to do during the winter storage.(good idea, maintenance and a learning experience) For those of us that keep riding through the winter, how do you gear up for it? Do you add to your bike, do you plug in your pants and jacket or just layer up ? Just looking to see what the other winter nuts are doing. Personally, I add Oxford bar mitts to cover the heated grips(similar to hippo hands) and layer up as needed for the 40+ mile trip to work. I dont ride if its freezing rain or its pouring rain GOING to work. I have ridden during snowfall but the ground was warm enough that it was melting from the road right away. That was one of my most favorite days of riding. How about those out there that keep riding, what do you do ?

·
Registered
642 Posts
I try and ride year round here in Maryland. If its above 32F and no chance of precipitation (in cold months) I ride the 20 miles to work! I don't do much extra.....zip in the liner....make sure I am wearing my long socks....winter gloves....neck warmer thingy....and off I go!! Love riding when its cooler out

·
Registered
547 Posts
I ride in 30`s and 40`s . Mostly when the ride starts off in the 30`s BUT I know that in a few hours it will rise into the 40`s.

It bothers my fingers the most. Because , I`ve always had a job that I had to work outside all day year round, and I got frostbite in my fingers 3-4 times over the years. So, now they`re more susceptible to the cold.
Long Johns, Flannel lined Jeans, and nylon chaps do the trick. Hooded sweatshirt, turtleneck dickie, and Very heavy leather motorcycle jacket.
100% Silk Glove liners under my DEERSKIN gloves.

·
Registered
84 VT500C retro bobber
1,569 Posts
I have a buddy who rides all year round which is quite the feat in northern Canada. He uses a side car to help keep him upright on icy roads
sQ5xYpx.jpg

Note: this is not an old BMW, it a Chinese replica he purchased brand new in 2015.

·
Registered
2001 Shadow Spirit 750
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a buddy who rides all year round which is quite the feat in northern Canada. He uses a side car to help keep him upright on icy roads View attachment 290713
Note: this is not an old BMW, it a Chinese replica he purchased brand new in 2015.
Wow, that's a great idea. I have seen pics of a rider in Alaska that puts a third wheel mounted like an "outrigger" , onto his standard bike to create the same stability.

·
Registered
1995 VT1100C2
3,739 Posts
I rode all year round in Ottawa a few years but that was when I was much younger and my car was unreliable. Recently a ski friend told me about these:

So I bought the top and bottom and there are 3 different sets for different temps. I use the regulars down to about 10C *50F) The extras down to 0C and then the ultras. The material is very thin so you can pack in a sandwich bag (but without the sandwich). Fow a total $100 this really worth it.

I used the Extrawarm set in a trip from Argentina to Antarctic and it was perfect.

My VT1100 does not go out in the snow since it got collectors plates but I have another bike for going skiing:
20200410_132943.jpg

·
Registered
2003 VT1100C Spirit
143 Posts
I just layer up on cold days. We don't get too many freezing days here in Central Texas, but they do occur.

We even get snow occasionally...

This pic is ten years old and when it started to snow that day (Feb. 23rd, 2010), I ran over to my garage, rolled Hildr the Valkyrie out, took some pics with my iPhone 3GS, then quickly rolled her back in. I knew that I may never get a better chance to get a pic of the bike in the snow again!

Anyway...

Some time later, I showed this pic to impress some Valkyrie rider friends from Michigan just to prove that yes, it does snow down this way. They laughed proclaiming that what I was showing them was "barely a dusting" where they come from.

So...there you go!

❄⛄❄

·
Registered
2001 Shadow Spirit 750
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just layer up on cold days. We don't get too many freezing days here in Central Texas, but they do occur.

View attachment 290716

This pic is ten years old and when it started to snow that day (Feb. 23rd, 2010), I ran over to my garage, rolled Hildr the Valkyrie out, took some pics with my iPhone 3GS, then quickly rolled her back in. I knew that I may never get a better chance to get a pic of the bike in the snow again!

Anyway...

Some time later, I showed this pic to impress some Valkyrie rider friends from Michigan just to prove that yes, it does snow down this way. They laughed proclaiming that what I was showing them was "barely a dusting" where they come from.

So...there you go!

❄⛄❄
As I was reading this , I was hoping that you had ridden her back in so you could say you rode her in the snow. :) Bike looks great

·
Registered
04 shadow aero
81 Posts
A few years ago I had a car accident and only had my Ducati to use. Rode about 4 months in the cold to work(50 miles each way) till I could save up for a new car. I think the fog was the worst. Cold Wet misty very slippery and could only see 10 feet in front of you while cars behind you are closing in at full blast. I rode in the shoulder or close to semis most of those morningS only to show up to work freezing soaking wet. Sucked.

·
Registered
16,994 Posts
Yeah we RIDE!
Year round riding is the way I go...
When I ride I wear leather chaps all year, Chaps and a good CHIPs jacket keeps me warm for short runs...
Lower air dams for the legs and boots PLUS hand cover attached to the windshield to complete my "Redneck Fairing"

Yeah, after my Deer vs Motorcycle crash April 2019, she looks different from when these pics were taken...
`Twas19 degrees one day when I straddled the saddle for the 12 miles to work...

BUT Yes, I bundle up for cold weather like when I`ll be going for a few hours...
Especially for 4 hours trip to our Christmas Toy Ride in Valdosta, I wear insulated coveralls under a lighter leather jacket, That PLUS I got XL size chaps to fit over the coveralls too...
I was gifted heated grip covers, and they`re used on those long runs...
(Thank you Mike)

South Georgia Winter riding is more enjoyable for me than those summertime 100+ degrees temps...

Yeah, Lets RIDE,
Dennis

·
Registered
5,927 Posts
I ride until the frost starts to be consistent. Heated grips and I recently got a heated vest and it’s the cats derrière.

When the snow really sets i , I switch up my ride.

Sitting on my VTX making vroom vroom noises.

·
Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
1,500 Posts

View attachment 290716

Anyway...

So...there you go!

❄⛄❄
For Texas that's a blizzard. Here is a pic of the blizzard in Cypress, Texas, 2017. Notice the snow helper I had for the day.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
14,729 Posts
You guys should do some fabricating and then have a dual purpose ride.
Snow hog !

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
I am in Northern Virginia and ride all year around, except when the roads are slick!
I just layer up with the cold gear from Costco. I think the brand name is 32 degrees or something like that. I wear a fleece top under a heavy winter leather jacket, balaclava (sometimes), and silk glove liners.

I thought about getting heated grips and just said - nah, too much trouble ;)

·
Registered
2001 Shadow Spirit 750
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am in Northern Virginia and ride all year around, except when the roads are slick!
I just layer up with the cold gear from Costco. I think the brand name is 32 degrees or something like that. I wear a fleece top under a heavy winter leather jacket, balaclava (sometimes), and silk glove liners.

I thought about getting heated grips and just said - nah, too much trouble ;)
Oh, get the heated grips. Easy to install and well worth it. Also, I put my setting on low most mornings to help with the arthritic issues that are coming on with age.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts