21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Shadow Spirit 750
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Yeah we RIDE!
Year round riding is the way I go...
When I ride I wear leather chaps all year, Chaps and a good CHIPs jacket keeps me warm for short runs...
Lower air dams for the legs and boots PLUS hand cover attached to the windshield to complete my "Redneck Fairing"

Yeah, after my Deer vs Motorcycle crash April 2019, she looks different from when these pics were taken...
`Twas19 degrees one day when I straddled the saddle for the 12 miles to work...

BUT Yes, I bundle up for cold weather like when I`ll be going for a few hours...
Especially for 4 hours trip to our Christmas Toy Ride in Valdosta, I wear insulated coveralls under a lighter leather jacket, That PLUS I got XL size chaps to fit over the coveralls too...
I was gifted heated grip covers, and they`re used on those long runs...
(Thank you Mike)

South Georgia Winter riding is more enjoyable for me than those summertime 100+ degrees temps...

Yeah, Lets RIDE,
Dennis
Getting some good tips in this thread. I like the UNIQLO info and I had purchased the insulated coveralls last year but did not get to try them out. Went out this morning - 42 degrees. Jeans, T shirt and Insulated coveralls and boy do they work well. I bought them big so I can still add layers needed when it gets really cold. So far, my low has been 10 degrees but I had so many layers on I looked like a tic that was ready to pop! These should help reduce the layers needed to get me in the single digits.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I ride until the frost starts to be consistent. Heated grips and I recently got a heated vest and it’s the cats derrière.

When the snow really sets i , I switch up my ride.

Sitting on my VTX making vroom vroom noises.
yep, heated gear...
like this:

·
Registered
16,986 Posts
I LOVE my insulated coveralls, they were purchased in the late eighties from Sears...
The Nylon outter wards off cold very well...
But I still cover them with leather,
Dennis

Yes, I had the stitches restitched a couple years ago, they were breaking aloose one at a time

·
Registered
2001 Shadow Spirit 750
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I LOVE my insulated coveralls, they were purchased in the late eighties from Sears...
The Nylon outter wards off cold very well...
But I still cover them with leather,
Dennis

Yes, I had the stitches restitched a couple years ago, they were breaking aloose one at a time
I agree with that theory, rebuild it - don't replace it. I have resewn my summer gloves and my winter gloves... because they work well.

·
Registered
1995 VT1100C2
3,739 Posts
I agree with that theory, rebuild it - don't replace it. I have resewn my summer gloves and my winter gloves... because they work well.
After reading your post I felt guilty about throwing away my summer gloves (end of the season was yesterday for me). So I retrieved them from the garbage, took another look, realized there is more hole than glove. Goatskin, but they smell like turkey (last week was our Thanksgiving) so back in the garbage.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I mentioned 100% Silk Glove liners, But sometimes I go with the 100% Silk Tops and 100% Silk long Johns.

Most gloves are Cowhide, but I read somewhere once and it`s been my personal experience, that Deer Skin Gloves keep you warmer. (Elk Skin too)

Here`s a one stop shopping place for winter riding gear...................

·
Registered
1995 VT1100C2
3,739 Posts
Here`s a one stop shopping place for winter riding gear...................
Yeouch. I took a look at the aerostich site and was horrified to find out the cost of top/bottom longjohn is between $200 and $260 ($360 CDN). So I thought this better be good but a little investigation shows it to be 70% polyester 3% Spandex and the rest is some proprietary nonsense called Heatr. My guess Heatr is a Rayon and Acrylic blend to give it some warmth.

So I took another look at the Heattech stuff and turns out I paid $32 (CDN) for the Ultra warm set that are made of
47% Acrylic (similar to Polyester but warmer), 26% Polyester (total 73%) 20% Rayon (makes it silky) and 7% Spandex so it fits tight. So I can buy 10 sets of the Uniqlo longjohns for the price of 1 aerostitch but they wont say motorcycle on them.

·
Registered
16,986 Posts
Yeouch. I took a look at the aerostich site and was horrified to find out the cost of top/bottom longjohn is between $200 and $260 ($360 CDN). So I thought this better be good but a little investigation shows it to be 70% polyester 3% Spandex and the rest is some proprietary nonsense called Heatr. My guess Heatr is a Rayon and Acrylic blend to give it some warmth.

So I took another look at the Heattech stuff and turns out I paid $32 (CDN) for the Ultra warm set that are made of
47% Acrylic (similar to Polyester but warmer), 26% Polyester (total 73%) 20% Rayon (makes it silky) and 7% Spandex so it fits tight. So I can buy 10 sets of the Uniqlo longjohns for the price of 1 aerostitch but they wont say motorcycle on them.
I clicked the link too, Do I need to disregard that click??? ;)
My $$$ well spent IS worth it...
BUT I`ma Myzer,
Dennis

What??
ONLY $1250.00 for a one piece???
I`ll stick with what I got!!!

·
Registered
84 VT500C retro bobber
1,569 Posts
My nephew had one of these, I think it was called a Sno-Hawk or something like that. I love riding snowmobiles but the novelty of riding this was a blast!
Sno-hawks are pretty damn cool! But that is not a sno-hawk. Its a Harley Sportster with a timber sled kit. Timber sleds are usually dirt bikes converted to run on snow but with enough ingenuity they can be adapted to any bike. The kit Polaris sells runs about $4000 I think

·
Registered
108 Posts
Sno-hawks are pretty damn cool! But that is not a sno-hawk. Its a Harley Sportster with a timber sled kit. Timber sleds are usually dirt bikes converted to run on snow but with enough ingenuity they can be adapted to any bike. The kit Polaris sells runs about $4000 I think
I didn't mean to say that actually was a sno-hawk in the pic. Admittedly I did not know it was HD Sportster, I had no idea what it was. But I do know riding the sno-hawk was awesome (y)

21 - 32 of 32 Posts