Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i know its been asked before and ive asked it before. but here we go lol

everytime I asked this there were factors I had to correct.

now ive corrected everything on my bike and double checked everything.

my everyday driving is 3.5 miles one way to work shut off and 3.5 miles home sometimes a short trip here and there in between. I always pump gas at the same station same pump. if pump 3 is busy I wait. I record every fill up. since the I got my bike in April until id say end of October first week of November I always got 110-120 per main tank. with my normal driving. always even after adding stuff changing stuff no matter what that's what I got. since end of October first of November I started getting 90-100 miles per main tank. it has been driving me nuts so I went over the bike checked everything corrected a couple mistakes I made thanks to the advice form HSN and still I get the same.

is this drop in mileage because of the cold weather? I live in Michigan and have been riding in 10-40*F since my mileage dropped I have never ridden in temps this cold before so I don't know if its common and I cant compare it to my truck because that ALWAYS gets 10mpg. so im at a lost ive searched and read every thread about this but just wanted a clear cut answer to my situation.

so should I be looking at my bike for failure somewhere that is causing my drop?

or is it just the cold temps and "winter gas" that is causing it?

I understand that the cold temps affect the oil, coolant, diff fluid, tire resistance, my aerodynamics , denser air=more fuel, longer warm-up times, not getting to operating temps as fast (or at all). but does all that really equal as big of a lose as im seeing? or am I not really seeing that big of a lose as I think I am? am I overacting to this or should it be a concern? or should I just stop over thinking it and wait till summer and watch my MPG come back up again? will they come back up again? im vary anal about things like this and it will continue to bother me until I have a clear answer.

thanks in advance HSN :oops: :idea: :cool: :evil: :???: (< im feeling all those faces right now lol)

·
Registered
334 Posts
I think its a combination between the gas and cooler air. I always have the same problem with my car. I usually lost about 2-3mpg in the winter and then after installing an open cone air filter and removing the air box altogether I noticed in the winter months I'm down 4-5mpg. At least that's how it works for me.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
Sure the temperature will affect your mileage and so will other things..

three and a half miles is a very short trip, that doesn't help..

You bought the bike in summer and have had time to get used to it, you may be opening the throttle a little further as you ride from stops and lights.

The colder weather may be affecting the way you ride because you want to finish the journey faster.

You may be idling longer to let the bike warm up before riding.

As you are only riding a very short distance any of the above reasons would soon add up over a tankful.

I'm sure your bike is ok..but here's a simple test...Get on a freeway with a full tank, get into top gear as soon as possible, ride at 50mph for 100 miles without changing gear..fill up again and ride back..measure how much fuel you used to get there and how much to get back.

John.

·
Registered
605 Posts
It's not so much the gas as it's the cold. The gas in winter has just under 2% less energy per volume, but it's the effect of cold temperature on the physics (air density, tire pressure, oil viscosity, grease viscosity in bearings, etc) and operational changes (ie more choke for longer, your bike isn't warming up in 3 miles) that are causing most of the drop.

·
Registered
11,316 Posts
The one thing I would like to point out is that a 3 1/2 mile ride probably isn't fully warming the engine and exhaust system on cold days. Could lead to premature corroding of the exhaust system.

·
Registered
605 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts