Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As some of you may know, I fabricated an outrigger for my Yamaha that helps me get out to the main roads when it snows. It works great with fresh snow or when the snow is just slushy. However, because the development I live in never gets plowed, when we get a big snow followed by an Arctic blast, it soon gets packed down into solid ice. I have a couple hills I have to make it up to get to the main roads and the tire on the back of my Yamaha just doesn't have enough grip to make it. I'd love to throw on a tire chain but there just isn't enough clearance between the drive chain and the tire.

The other day when I was scrapping a path out along the sidewalks, it occurred to me that my Shadow 1100 has a lot better clearance around the tire, although with the standard motorcycle tire it's still too tight. I've been toying with the idea of permanently attaching a sidecar to the Shadow. With the bike always being in the upright position, a car tire would be perfect for a rear tire.

So my question to you Darksiders is this, do you think it's possible to pick a car tire that would provide enough clearance between the drive shaft and the swing arm to put on a tire chain?

Thanks!
sanoke

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just a thought, if your going to a car tire for traction why not go with a studded tire?
I thought of that but I'd rather not have to change tires for winter and then summer. Although it might be worth buying a second rear wheel.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Sanoke said:
Just a thought, if your going to a car tire for traction why not go with a studded tire?
I thought of that but I'd rather not have to change tires for winter and then summer. Although it might be worth buying a second rear wheel.
Studs would not be a good idea. They would cause you to slide out on the curves. Other than chains/traction devices, not sure there is a good answer to your problem. Liked your idea of several years ago of using skies on your feet to get out of the housing area. :roll::roll::roll:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Not to get off the subject of putting a CT on your bike, I really can't comment on that as I have no knowledge in that area at all, but can I ask you to reconsider adding a sidecar to your bike? Yeah...I know it's none of my business and you didn't ask for anyone's opinion on a sidecar, but please indulge me for a moment. I had a very good buddy of mine who was killed two weeks ago on his bike with a sidecar. He had been riding a two wheeled HD for almost 40 years, and for some unknown reason last month he got the urge to by a 1970 Moto Guzzi with a sidecar. He bought it dirt cheep and possibly that's one of the reasons why he bought it. When he first got it, I took it for a short ride and I found that when making a right turn, the wheel on the sidecar had the tendency to lift up off of the ground. When making a left turn, the sidecar had the tendency to snap the handlebars back to the right. I personally found it very hard to control the bike, and I've also been riding for over 40 years. He started out by riding with a 5 gallon bottle of Sparkles water in the sidecar's seat to try and keep the right wheel on the ground when turning to the right, and after only a few days practice he said the he had the knack of the bike and he quit riding with the bottle of water. We were riding through the desert and he went around a sharp right hand curve and as should have been expected the sidecar's wheel came up off the ground and he turned to the left and in doing so he over compensated while trying and bring the wheel back down on the ground. In doing so, he crossed the center divider and was struck head-on by a pick up truck going the opposite way towing a horse trailer. He died at the scene. Again...it's none of my business what you do to your bike, and possibly you already have plenty of sidecar riding experience, I don't know, but hopefully if someone else out there is contemplating adding a sidecar they'll think twice before going that route. Thanks for letting me adding my $.02 cents worth as it helps me deal with the loss.

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. My heart and prayers go out to anyone involved.

However, Sanoke is in a different situation. He has a ton of experience riding anything with 2 or 3 wheels. Or 2 wheels (on the bike) and 2 skis (on him.) I don't worry about Sanoke's ability to ride anything he can dream up. He's worn out more bikes than I have owned (and that's quite a few!), and some of his bikes have needed to roll the odometer a few times to wear out!

--Justin

1 - 14 of 14 Posts