Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking today about people stealing our bikes. How to avoid becoming a victim. For 90% of vehicle thefts, there are two worst enemies, time and attention. Too much of either and the crook will bypass a likely target and move on to another. A couple of simple things come to mind...
I just can't see a thief hotwiring a motorcycle. I could be wrong, and if I am one simple layer of complexity might be enough to make an attempt turn into a would-be thief run away. On our bikes there's a black/white stripe wire from handlebar switch to both coils. It provides the common +12V to the coils. A simple SPST switch on that wire hidden somewhere would completely disable the engine. Add that to steering head lock and decrease the likelihood of becoming a victim drastically. A pressure sensitive switch under the kickstand connected to a bell and a lamp would be very simple. Again, add that to the head lock. Think about some idiot standing a bike up and a light shines in his face and a loud bell sounds simultaneously. I'd probably pee my pants.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
I use a heavy duty front disc brake lock (bright orange) along with the factory steering head lock whenever I park my bike unless it's short term. But even then it's the factory lock always. Even if a thief hot wires my ignition he's not going anywhere with both locks on unless they lift it. Then they would cease to exist with the land mines I've planted. :)

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can see how the bike could be easily started with something as simple as a Scotchlock attached to two of the wires connected to the ignition switch. Another switch should be added somewhere. The factory wiring is published on any specific schematic. That's why I feel like a hidden switch would be super simple, totally undocumented and only the bike's owner would know. Sure, it could be discovered with a little troubleshooting but what thief is going to do that in a parking lot? Add some other physical barrier like the steering lock or a brake lock, any thief would pass it by.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
One word -- 'insurance'.

Three more -- 'forget about it'. ;-)

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
I've been thinking about these "front disc brake lock". Any particular brand seem to be better than the others?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here's a very robust Master padlock. 5/16" shackle diameter with more than enough room to clear the edge of our brake disk. It could easily be locked onto the outside set of holes drilled at the factory. The next step to move the bike would be to remove the caliper and wire it up out of the way. I measured the holes in the disk at a hair over .3195" so this lock would work. Cost under $15

Model No. 187XD | Master Lock

·
Registered
373 Posts
I start with the basics - out of sight, out of mind. I always cover my bike that way no one is tempted to 'take a look'.
Then I progress to step #2 - a .357 Magnum - it never fails!

·
Premium Member
8,857 Posts
I can see how the bike could be easily started with something as simple as a Scotchlock attached to two of the wires connected to the ignition switch. Another switch should be added somewhere. The factory wiring is published on any specific schematic. That's why I feel like a hidden switch would be super simple, totally undocumented and only the bike's owner would know. Sure, it could be discovered with a little troubleshooting but what thief is going to do that in a parking lot? Add some other physical barrier like the steering lock or a brake lock, any thief would pass it by.
I would avoid monkeying with the electrical system as a form of anti-theft device, because nobody is going to be working on starting your bike for half an hour just to steal it..

Professionals would lift the front and rear wheels onto dollies and roll it into the back of a panel truck. Even dumb criminals will just bust your steering column lock by slamming the handlebars around until they can steer it enough to hoof-it on down the road, or up a ramp into the back of a pickup.

You could fit an electronic alarm - I have a Scorpio alarm on my bike, it has proximity sensors, anti-hijack (remote disable), ignition tampering sensors all kinds of stuff, but I can't use the frikkin'-thing because occasionally - at night - a cat, cow, mouse, moose (or whatever) will rub up against my bike shelter, or the bike will settle on it's stand - next thing you know - you'll have half a dozen cops waking up the entire neighborhood at 2 in the a.m..

Ask me how I know :)

Like has been said.. If you love that bike.. Accept the fact others might love that bike too and that they will want to steal it.. So.. Insure the heck out of it and then, IF somebody steals it, you can buy a new bike AND a bunch of cherry-bombs and blow up some watermelons to help work off some of the stress associated with wanting desperately to choke the living-crap out of somebody for having stole yer' bike! ;)

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
Nothing will stop someone with enough determination, see below. Beezer, you've owned bikes how many years? How many have been stolen?
I've parked in a huge parking lot, actually two different lots in busy office complexes. Often not leaving work till 9pm. I've never done more the lock the fork locks and now don't even bother doing that since I've retired. Store parking lots still don't tempt me to lock the forks. I imagine that External disc locks have damaged tons of bikes from folks forgetting to remove them.
Get good insurance. Period, I've seen a sign that read "Flo Lies" don't know the validity of that one though.

Determination= in college a group of us moved a locked vw beetle from the parking lot to the inside of the student union, with no dismantling.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The poor Beetle. Probably the most pranked car in history.
When I go to the store, I park in a location I'm pretty sure there'll be at least some passersby. These days it's difficult to go anywhere in public and not be on a security camera. I try to look around and actually find one, and park right in front of it. I'm sure a thief does that too. I'm no expert but I feel like I can somewhat think like a thief. A security camera may or may not be functioning properly but how can a thief tell?
When Radio Shack began marketing do-it-yourself alarm systems, the police had to establish special procedures due to the number of false alarms.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
It's a Honda cruiser. No one steals Honda Cruisers.
LoL!

When I bought my new Sabre, I grabbed a nice cable bike lock as we were walking to the paperwork desk and asked the dealer to toss it in the deal. If it were not for the face palm, the look on his face saying, "your kidding?" would have been priceless...

After a couple years I was more worried someone was going to just knock it over.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
An Empty holster on the handlebars in plain sight works for me ;)

Merry Christmas
Ann & Dennis
I like this and I've got some old holster's, now I wonder would it matter which holster? 9mm, 357 or 45?
I guess I'll have to go with the one that matches the bike the best:lol:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Bright Colored & Visible brake disk locks seem to work. If they cann't get your bike in 30 secs normally they are out of there to next easy target.
Bike keys IGN are easy to role those over, 10 secs max.
Steering is the first thing they check after no Visible locks and it will test for motion alarms also.

Some bikes are targeted and followed.

·
Registered
23,171 Posts
Personally I think one of the best ways to prevent theft is to stop telling other people what you do to prevent theft

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Bright Colored & Visible brake disk locks seem to work. If they cann't get your bike in 30 secs normally they are out of there to next easy target.
I think perhaps this and a Weaver stance should work well!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts