Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't posted here in a while, but if I remember correctly, this forum has the most willing to help people on the net. So here goes. I made the mistake of not starting my bike at all for the past 2 months, but now that it's warming up (here at least), I'd like to start riding to work again. Over the weekend I put in a gallon of fresh gas and charged the battery, but I can't get it to idle unless I have the choke all the way out. And it dies as soon as I twist the throttle. In my amature opinion, it probably needs some carb work. So my question is, how hard is it to clean/adjust the carbs on a '03 Spirit 750? Anybody got a link to a site that shows the process step by step? That would awesome. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I know there is a link on this websight, I've seen it but don't remember exactly where. Before you get into tearing your carbs down, have you tried a good fuel system cleaner? I've had real good luck with Berrymans B-12 when it comes to cleaning a fuel system. I have a 1987 model Honda 250 4-wheeler that has never had the carb off. At times it acts the same way you are describing, I run some Berrymans through it and it has always opened it up. I can't swear it will do the same for you, but it may be worth a try. Walmart, about 3-4 bucks a can.
I got to ride mine to work today, 70 miles and you could'nt wipe the smile off my face with scotchbrite. I'm in southeast Texas.. Good luck..

G

·
Add 3 ounces of SeaFoam carb cleaner to a full tank of gas and your problem should be solved. You might also drain the fuel bowls. There are drain screws on the bottom of the float bowls.

Fresh gas and some SeaFoam should be all you need - 2 months isn't that long to sit.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Use 1/2 can of Sea Foam in your tank and run the crap out of it, and if your lucky, it should clean it out. I know they suggest only using a few ounces, but you can't hurt anything by using alot more and it'll work faster and clean things up through out the whole system.
You should run a small amount in your gas during the riding season from time to time and it helps keep things clean inside the carbs.
Add Sea Foam in a full tank of gas before you park it over the winter - works as a fuel stabilizer just like Sta-bil. >PD<

·
Registered
932 Posts
Fresh gas and some SeaFoam should be all you need - 2 months isn't that long to sit.
I agree that two months shouldn't have been enough time to mess up the carbs. I would let the engine run and warm up a little longer and see if it starts responding better to the throttle before doing anything drastic. My experience has been that the carbs don't have problems with gas unless they've been sitting for 6 months or more, but maybe others have had problems in less time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Y'all come through again. I didn't even think about a fuel additive. I finally had a chance to pick up some Sea Foam today, so I'll give it a shot. Thanks.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Good luck with the Seafoam.
I hope you get some riding in before the asphalt gets hot enough to melt your tires! I've been in Phx in the summer.
I like your license plate- tilted up- is that to beat the photo radar on the 101?
Nice scoot

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I like your license plate- tilted up- is that to beat the photo radar on the 101?
Nice scoot
Ha! Thanks. I bet it would be hard to photo my plate. That mount is part of the tail-light mod.

Well I poured in half the sea foam can and let it idle for about 15 minutes, but it still wouldn't idle without the choke out. Then I replaced the plugs (they were nasty) and poured in the rest of the sea foam can. It started idleing smoother after this, but it still dies if I even reach for the throttle. Once again, I'm clueless. Any ideas? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got her goin! I twisted the throttle as slowly as I possibly could, and after some poppin and fartin, it's running fine. That sea foam must have finally kicked in. Thanks for your help guys.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.