Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks everyone who replied to my previous post. I bought a new aftermarket ignition switch. In image 1 I have 5 wires coming from the ignition switch. In Image 2 I have three wires coming from the wiring harness. I'm not sure which wires connect to which. I'm sure the solid red wire connects to the solid red. Do the two solid blacks connect to the blue/orange? Do the brown/white connect to the black/red? What does the black/white wire do? Thanks again, this forum community is great. Nick
Finger Thumb Electrical wiring Cable Wood

Finger Rock-climbing equipment Creative arts Nail Thumb

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
19,623 Posts
On your original you had a RED for the battery power in to the switch.
A Red/Black for the power out to the fuses and all the other circuits.
The Blue/Orange goes to a fuse for the fan.

So if you find that the 2 black wires are on with the switch on, connect both to the red/black and blue/orange to provide power as the original switch would to both of those circuits and fuses.

But you need to test your new switch to find out which ones are on using a meter or test light to know what they all do.
If it has more than only one switched position you will know what they do. No wiring diagram with it?

Attachments

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
19,623 Posts
If you hook up the red wire to a battery and have a 12 volt test light bulb to test each wire it should tell you when they come on, but I would imagine since there is only one ON position, all the 4 other wires come on to feed different circuits even though you don't need that many.
But none should be a ground on an ignition switch.

Reactions: bagotnj

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
19,623 Posts
Here is information from an ebay 4 wire switch for a little more info.
If you got your 5 wire switch there look for a description.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Scratch that, all the lights work such as turn signals, back lights, head lights, back light when breaks are pressed, high beams, oil and kick stand indicator. The problem is the horn does not work and the lights for the neutral indicator, turn indicator, and high beam indicators are all out. I've attached a photo of the indicators that are not working.
Hood Vehicle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Near the horn, two black wires have been cut.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

I'm thinking those black wires are the same wires that I've pointed to on this wiring harness diagram below.
Font Auto part Drawing Pattern Illustration

I'm not sure where the wires connect to on the wiring diagram below. They don't feed into the horn directly and I can't find anything else that the two black wires might connect to.
Product Font Rectangle Schematic Parallel

Does anyone know what connects to the two black wires?

Attachments

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
19,623 Posts
Maybe someone had an accessory on those.
But there are 2 black wires to the clutch switch if you can see a switch with the wires plugged in to it by the lever.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here's a bunch of new photos. It looks like the horn isn't connected in the front(pic 1). I'll have to find the correct wires to connect to the horn but it looks like I'll have to connect to the horn with a terminal(probably 2.8mm terminal). On the wiring diagram the horn wires are supposed to be blue and light green but they aren't. The only blue and light green wires behind the horn are connected to other things(see circled photos). The 2 unknown black wires don't look like they come from the clutch wire when I followed it back, it looks like it comes from a fork in the wiring harness. Too top it off, the fuse box has multiple empty mini fuse plug-in locations. I'm aware a couple spots are supposed to be empty, but do you think a 10 amp or 15 amp mini fuse is missing?

Attachments

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
19,623 Posts
Those fuse slots don't have any contacts for the fuses on one side. So either the factory made it that way and they aren't needed on your model,or the pins have been pushed back out the rear. The manual only shows 4 fuses, so i think all is well.
I think those 2 black wires are the horn Try it.

Attachments

• Helpful
Reactions: bweighmaster

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Unfortunately the 2 black wires didn't do anything when I connected them to the horn and pressed the horn button. I'm going to do more research on fixing the horn and fixing the indicator lights that are out. In the meantime I'm buying some tools to better diagnose these electrical issues.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
19,623 Posts
Put a test light on each on. A fuse could be blown too.

·
Registered
'97 Spirit 1100 - Chandler, AZ
513 Posts
From the wiring diagram, looks like they are both solid black wires (Bl). If so, they come from the front brake light switch on the brake lever and go to an 8-pin plug on the main harness (probably under the fuel tank or steering head cover)
The diagram provides the unique color scheme of every wire on your bike. As you find these unconnected wires, match them up to the same color wires on the diagram and use it to reconnect them correctly. Time and patience help too!

Product Font Rectangle Schematic Parallel

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
19,623 Posts
Put 12 volts to the horn. The contacts my be corroded.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I checked the fuses today and the 20 amp fuse was blown out and reconnected with tin foil. Last owner ceases to amaze me. I bought some new fuses to replace it so I should be able to swap them out in a week or so and see if this changes anything with the indicator lights not lighting up. Thanks KC for the advice, my front brake light switch works fine and is installed to the brake handle so I don't think its that. The unknown cut black cables is located underneath the gas tank. Swifty, I'm waiting for some double sided alligator clips to arrive so I'll check the horn soon.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
19,623 Posts
Where is the 20 amp fuse?
Most of these bikes have a 30 amp main fuse in the starter solenoid.
And the others are 10 or maybe 15 amps.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts