Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

Bit of a situation here and if anyone has any thoughts that might help!

Starting off, I'm the 3rd owner of this bike so the rats nest of wiring was inherited, as is any other changes noticed!

Bike was initially cutting out in damp/wet weather (light mist, fog, light rain). The display (odometer, indicators) would cut out and then the bike would run rough and die. After this last round I let it dry out in the garage and started it up. Was running fine then suddenly died out. Began to notice a slight burning plastic smell. Pulled off the seat to find that the connections pictured were smoking a bit. Found a few other wires that were loose, cracked, and or not connected. Taped and replaced what I could. Service techs at the local Honda Dealership said to just not worry about the new quick connects and run the wires together (yellow-yellow for all 3, red to red, green to green). Have it all back together and now when the ignition is turned on there is no response. Dead bike.

Any thoughts or need more info and pictures?

All help is appreciated!

Electrical wiring Wire Auto part Electrical supply Automotive fuel system


Auto part Automotive fuel system Wire Pipe Fuel line
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
8,072 Posts
Check the battery. Make sure to fully charge the battery if it will take a charge. The battery may be no good. When the wiring shorted out the battery took a direct short. Repair all the wiring before installing a battery.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
5,354 Posts
See if you can buy new connectors, that is the three wires that connect from the alternator to the rec/reg and you are going to have to renew them.. many people will suggest that you solder the wires together instead of replacing the connectors, If you do that you will have to undo them again to test for ac voltage at the alternator.

John.
 

· Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
Joined
·
20,316 Posts
Don't forget to test the main (30 amp ?) fuse because it may have burned with all that overheating.
The large red and green wires appear to be the power feed to the R/R and the ignition circuits. If you have a test light see if there is battery power after the main fuse and on each one of those connections.
And since they carry a lot of current it would be best to connect them securely also with splice connectors.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top