Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Honda Shadow Aero
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently purchased two sets of turn signals, the kuryakyn Torpedo single function ambers to be specific. The OEM harness has three wires for the front signals, one for turn, one for running, and one for the ground. However these Kuryakyn only have the turn and ground. My question is, would there be any harm in running the running light and turn signal wires together as one? I did a loose mock up to see if they’d work fine and they do. They turn on when the bike is on and blink when the signal is hit. I was just curious if there would be any long term hazards by doing this.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
16,860 Posts
I don't think it should hurt anything. But are the signals very noticeable that way?
If they're the same brightness, I mean?

·
Registered
'83 VT750C
1,363 Posts
I would imagine the running lights would be at turn signal intensity, and just flash when needed? I can’t remember the wiring, but is there already a diode or something in place to prevent the 12v of the running lights from feeding back through the signal light wire?

·
Registered
2005 Honda Shadow Aero
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think it should hurt anything. But are the signals very noticeable that way?
If they're the same brightness, I mean?
Oh yeah they’re definitely noticeable. When I flick the turn signal they act like normal turn signals and blink on and off. I wish I could attach a video to show you.

·
Registered
2005 Honda Shadow Aero
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would imagine the running lights would be at turn signal intensity, and just flash when needed? I can’t remember the wiring, but is there already a diode or something in place to prevent the 12v of the running lights from feeding back through the signal light wire?
I honestly don’t know lol. The OEM wiring has three wires that all go to the same connector that then plug into the harness behind the headlight. They seem to work that way though. When I don’t enable the turn signal they remain on line running lights, then I flip the signal and they blink as expected. I was just afraid that maybe running both the wires would cause some sort of short or overload and blow the LED.

·
Registered
'83 VT750C
1,363 Posts
Was more checking with Swifty on that one, but I’m thinking there isn’t. IIRC, normal operation is the running lights are slightly dimmed, cutting off when the signal is activated on full brightness. You’re still only providing the same voltage to the signal lights, so no worries there. But that constant voltage will now be back-fed up the signal light wire, probably to the turn signal switch, which shouldn’t harm anything. If the running lights do turn off (takes that voltage away) with the turn signal, that would explain why the relay flasher still works.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
16,860 Posts
There are contacts for the running lights and contacts for the turn lights. But unless it causes a feed back blinking in your tail light or some other strange happening, I don't think it can damage any wiring.

Looks I just repeated what Troy said. :rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 Honda Shadow Aero
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I appreciate the information! I’m not really all that handy when it comes to mechanical work or electrical work so I wanted to come and ask before I went ahead and did the work. Again thank you for the insight.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts