1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2005 honda shadow spirit 750
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
My name is Flavio Costa 23 y/old.
2 days ago I bought my very first motorcycle. It’s a 2005 Honda Shadow Spirit 750. 21k miles. I work in construction and travel a lot. I was on my way back to Dallas from a job site in Alabama when I spotted a local dealership. It caught my interest so I pulled over. Two hours later I had it loaded on my trailer with a smile on my face and a hit to the bank!

Due to my schedule, my impulsivity, the honest face of the 80 year old man who sold it me, I did not get it checked or a test ride. It was beautiful and. It started with no problem; that was enough for me.

I’ve had it in my garage since. I started it couple of times to hear the roar. It was awesome. Yesterday night I decided to hear it one more time before bed, couldn’t get it to start.

I am completely green when it comes to mechanics and motorcyles. Would any of you be willing to have a fectime call to go over the basics? I’d like to speak to a seasoned rider before I get a mechanic to look at it.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
17,888 Posts
The small batteries are a weak spot with bikes. Starting it and running a little won't charge it enough.
When ever in doubt about the battery power, jump it with a non-running car battery or strong jumper box, and if it fires up quickly that is the place to start.
A new battery.
A battery maintainer is a small maintenance charger that helps a battery but doesn't charge more than 1 or 2 amps.
Some of the guys with the same bike can help in more detail.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Have you ever ridden a motorcycle before? If not, I'd recommend taking a motorcycle safety basic rider course before you go out and drop your bike on your first ride or potentially get hurt. Motorcycle Safety Foundation Home Page. Plus, your state (mine does) may require a motorcycle endorsement to ride legally.
You can find them at you local community college or Harley Davidson dealership. I just started riding a little over a year ago- I made the mistake of trying to learn on my own and had a few small embarrassing drops before I learned the right way to do it. I didn't get hurt, but my bike had a few scratches and dings.

Good luck- this is a very addictive and possibly expensive new hobby. But it is fun and I'm so glad I did it.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Probably someone on here in Dallas that might help. Hang loose for a bit, read the sticky posts at the top of the General Bike and Technical discussion forums.

Welcome to the forum btw. 750 Shadow is a good choice for beginner or experienced. easy to ride and still big enough to take you anywhere in the country.

Reactions: punxsybob

·
Registered
18,248 Posts
Below 50 degrees I hafta use "CHOKE"...
Won`t start IF I twist the throttle at all either...
Is it In Gear??
Kill Switch ON??
Kickstand down???

Good info Here,
Dennis

Welcome @Flavio

·
Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
2,326 Posts
Make sure it has plenty of gas and that the petcock is on. Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new bike.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hello all,
2 days ago I bought my very first motorcycle. It’s a 2005 Honda Shadow Spirit 750. 21k miles. I work in construction and travel a lot. I was on my way back to Dallas from a job site in Alabama when I spotted a local dealership. It caught my interest so I pulled over. Two hours later I had it loaded on my trailer with a smile on my face and a hit to the bank!

Due to my schedule, my impulsivity, the honest face of the 80 year old man who sold it me, I did not get it checked or a test ride. It was beautiful and. It started with no problem; that was enough for me.

I’ve had it in my garage since. I started it couple of times to hear the roar. It was awesome. Yesterday night I decided to hear it one more time before bed, couldn’t get it to start.

I am completely green when it comes to mechanics and motorcyles. Would any of you be willing to have a fectime call to go over the basics? I’d like to speak to a seasoned rider before I get a mechanic to look at it.
Does it turn over at all. Or just nothing when you turn the switch. Do the lights work. Are they bright or dim. If low battery lights will be dim. Do you hear a click. If so probably is the battery. If nothing then could be the kill switch or kickstand safety. Also is the fuel on.

·
Registered
Shadow VT700c 1986, ST1300 08
564 Posts
Hi Flavio and welcome.
Could be any of the above suggestions, I would throw in if accidentally you pressed the red cut off switch.
The bike will still turn but won't start.

·
Registered
2006 750 spirit
4 Posts
Hello all,
2 days ago I bought my very first motorcycle. It’s a 2005 Honda Shadow Spirit 750. 21k

Flavio,
I have a 2006 750 Spirit. The answers so far have been excellent. My bike did virtually the same thing right after I got it home. Once I replaced the battery it started fine. It's a great bike. I put seafoam in my gas quite often. I use non-alcohol gas in the winter with the tank topped off to discourage moisture. They are somewhat cold blooded. Watch your tire pressuers as well. Enjoy your your new bike and be safe.

·
Registered
917 Posts
You really need a guy who rides a bike to give your bike a quick check. Most likely something simple.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts