Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
WOLO Bad Boy - Who has one?

The stock horn on my '99 Shadow has been sounding rather pathetic lately, so I figured it was time for a new one. Thanks to some discussion here, I looked at the WOLO horns and thought loud would be good. I got a good Ebay deal on a Bad Boy. It arrived today.

My post is because this thing is friggin' huge compared to the stock horn. Not only in size, but in weight. For those of you who have installed these things on your Shadows, is this thing going to fit down there? (I haven't tried yet, that's just my first impression on opening the box.)

I'm hoping so; I'm looking forward to being heard.

·
Registered
751 Posts
...this thing is friggin' huge ... Not only in size, but in weight... is this thing going to fit down there? I haven't tried yet, that's just my first impression... I'm hoping so; I'm looking forward to being heard.
hehehehe :mrgreen:

·
Super Moderator
6,512 Posts
Not sure about the WOLO Bad Boy but with most air horns, it is imperative that you install a relay. The air compressor draws more current than the stock horn wiring is capable of supplying.

You can use the stock wiring to trigger the relay which in turn powers the air compressor directly from the battery. Make sure you install a fuse too.

I've had a couple of compressors go bad; unfortunately they don't like rain. I believe the "Bad Boy" is all one piece so maybe it's designed to be mounted in the elements.

My air horns have a separate compressor with tubing running to the trumpets. Since I had a couple of compressor failures, I decided to mount the compressor under the saddle where it stays nice and dry. No failures since then!

Good luck,
Phil

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure about the WOLO Bad Boy but with most air horns, it is imperative that you install a relay. The air compressor draws more current than the stock horn wiring is capable of supplying.

You can use the stock wiring to trigger the relay which in turn powers the air compressor directly from the battery. Make sure you install a fuse too.
Good advice, thanks.

·
Super Moderator
6,512 Posts
That's what she said!!!

Dingo.

2010 Honda Shadow
Phantom Custom

This one sent from my 'droid device.
My dad told me to marry a girl with small hands because it'll make me look bigger!

Phil

·
Registered
375 Posts
My dad told me to marry a girl with small hands because it'll make me look bigger!

Phil

LOL!!! Haven't heard that one in a while....Guy I knew had surgery on his groin to remove a hernia....doctors made like a 10 inch incision to get it out....

Friend goes back to the doctor for a check up and the Doctor asks him if there are any problems....buddy responds....yeah there's a problem...you all said this incision was going to be small....how am I supposed to convince my girlfriend that it's still 10 inches now!!!

·
Registered
123 Posts
The only problem I've had with the Wolo or Stebel air horns is, if the horns are facing the front, bugs & rain can get in. Two times they have lasted only a year mounted where the original horn goes... facing forward.

The one on the trike, mounted below so somewhat protected, is coming up on 4 years old.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Credit where credit is due. The Wolo package already includes the relay I need as well as a wiring diagram for the installation (which, btw, is exactly what you suggested.). Also a h/t to their customer service department for responding quickly to my email on the subject.

There's still the issue of size and mounting location, but the electrical part looks to be quite simple.

·
Registered
2004 Honda Sabre 1100
19 Posts
Credit where credit is due. The Wolo package already includes the relay I need as well as a wiring diagram for the installation (which, btw, is exactly what you suggested.). Also a h/t to their customer service department for responding quickly to my email on the subject.

There's still the issue of size and mounting location, but the electrical part looks to be quite simple.
Don’t know what you ended up doing, but I flattened an small angle from hardware store, and used it vertically using the OEM horn mount.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts