1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
I enjoyed the read. I like stories about people who are getting out and doing their own thing.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I totally agree with this article and the two women's stories. As a woman I was really nervous to get a bike. Not because I didn't think I could do it but because my family thought I was crazy and I was told a woman shouldn't ride a motorcycle. I would occasionally ride on the back of my boyfriend's bike, but I really wanted my own. For two years I'd go to the Harley dealership and look at bikes. It took a life altering event before I finally took the MSF class and got my bike. I'm so glad I do and I love my Shadow Aero. I wish more women would realize the freedom and joy of riding a bike.

·
Registered
303 Posts
How do they say- the more merrier?
Taught my wife to ride last year on an old Yamaha 100.
She now rides 06 Spirit 750.
And she rides very well.
Myself, can't stand the 2-up thing.
To ride 2-up is like being in the back of a truck.
Better than walking, I suppose.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I think its a bit surprising that more women don't ride, especially given how popular sporty cars have become with women. Just seems like the logical next step to me...

·
Registered
339 Posts
I talked my wife into learning how to ride my old bike years ago. It didnt take much support on my behalf at all. Just tell her the ropes and gave her some pointers and off she went! After that we got a second bike and ran all over together on them :)

After about an 15~18 year furlow, we are doing it all over again. I think it's great that there are getting to be so many more women riders than there used to be!

Mark

PS Forgot to mention that our youngest daughter is learning the ropes. Her first bike is listed in my sig ;)

·
Registered
91 Posts
I grew up in a family where we all rode our own motorcycles regardless of gender. I thought all girls rode motorcycles, until I grew up and saw that wasn't the case. We each had our own snowmobile as well and I thought all girls drove snowmobiles too.

I am so happy to see so many other women riders now!!

·
Registered
233 Posts
When I got the Spirit 750, I sold the 250 rebel to my friend's sister. She put a few thousand miles on it and then bought a HD 1200C. The technician I work with had a Ducati Monster and she just bought a BMW 1200 something. I don't see any reason why females aren't just as qualified to ride as males.

G

·
0 Posts
How motorcycle riding ended up being deemed a guy thing is largely a product of the late forties and fifties era when floods of GI's came home and began buying bikes ( coincidently this is also the era that spawned the outlaw biker phenomenon ) Women of that era were settling into white picket fenced suburbia, but their sisters of the 1900-1925 time period were well documented riders considered equal in every way to their male counterparts.

I like women on bikes
I like women posing on bikes
I like women in leather
I like women in jeans
I like women out of leather
and jeans
I like women

·
Registered
50 Posts
My wife use to ride on the back of my bike and she said "enough is enough". I gave her lots of support, she passed the safety course. We got her a 06 750 aero and now I have a riding buddy. She is a very good rider and holds her own with no problems. She says now " I'm not riding on the back again."

1 - 12 of 12 Posts