Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't want to sound sexist, however...
The wife has dreamed of owning her own bike for a lot of her life. She's cowtrailed quite a bit on dirt bikes in years prior. She's successfully completed the MSF two-day course and tested with the state and has obtained her M endorsement. She's very small. She's intelligent and exercises plenty of common sense. I've owned BSA's for many years. Honda Naked Goldwings, CB360, Triumphs. I've seen middle aged inexperienced riders buy too large a bike midlife trying to relive their youth, and kill themselves. Just kinda leery.

· Registered
1,002 Posts
In most cases I've found women riders to exercise more caution than men.. But in the same respect I for the most part have observed that womens skill level and natural instinct on what to do is some times lacking (but I've seen that with men too). As it goes my wife rides but she won't ride my SG or my ACE because she feels if she dropped them she couldn't pic them up.. (& I think she worries about how mad I'd be if she dropped them..lol).. But she rides a vlx because she feels she can handle it more safely.. Wen we got the bike I even leaned it over gently to show her how to pic it up on her own.. And then I chopped it up into a bobber wich is what she wanted...

· Registered
3,130 Posts
I ride with a few ladies, some are naturals ... some are not but you get that with men too

If they have confidence and are comfortable on their bike they do well, I have seen some ladies up there bike size and loose confidence and it tells in their riding.

· Registered
16 Posts
if she feels comfortable then GOOD FOR HER.. i know alot of woman riders that i can honestly say being a woman and a rider is so second nature to see it kinda baffles me when men are still surprised that females ride there own bikes lol.. just like anyone there are good riders and bad riders in both genders.. Both men and woman pick the bike your comfortable with and riding..You can always sell and upgrade when you have more miles under your belts

· Registered
9 Posts
Not to sound like a b*tch, but...I don't get it. It's ok to be a bit leery about your wife riding her own. Just like it would be ok for her to be a bit leery about you riding your own.

She should be able to have her own bike and experience things herself with your full support.

· Premium Member
8,941 Posts
I'm with Sissy... I understand that you, as her adoring Hubby, has the heebie-jeebies about it, and that you want to protect her, I get that, but objectively, there isn't any real question asked here..

Lady riders can handle a bike as well as any guy.. As far as small.. I'm 5'6" and getting shorter all the time.. When I got back into riding I brought a Shadow 750.. If your wife passed her MSF class, then she IS Physically capable of riding her own ride, even if it's just a smaller bike for a few months to gain confidence before hopping up in size.

So then it's just a case of going out and shopping for bikes that she feels comfortable on and do what all beginners do, take it slowly, hit the parking lots, lots of practice and slowly increase your exposure to speed and traffic..

It's okay to be a little concerned about the ones you love getting into things you know can be dangerous, that just tells me you are good guy and loving husband.. But if your wife really wants to ride.. I wouldn't hold her back..

You are actually quite lucky.. I WISH My wife would ride with me. She's the only person in her whole family who doesn't.. It would be a really nice thing for us to enjoy together.. Would I be initially concerned - of course, worrying about our loved ones, that's only natural.. But if your good lady wants to ride.. Help her learn safely..

· Premium Member
1,897 Posts
I don't want to sound sexist, however...
The wife has dreamed of owning her own bike for a lot of her life. She's cowtrailed quite a bit on dirt bikes in years prior. She's successfully completed the MSF two-day course and tested with the state and has obtained her M endorsement. She's very small. She's intelligent and exercises plenty of common sense. I've owned BSA's for many years. Honda Naked Goldwings, CB360, Triumphs. I've seen middle aged inexperienced riders buy too large a bike midlife trying to relive their youth, and kill themselves. Just kinda leery.
Dang. By those standards I should be way leery of riding. I never rode dirt bikes, not taken a riding course, I'm not too bright and have no common sense but I've been riding a year and continue to improve and have no regrets. It's fine to be leery but she can find the right bike to fit her size and strength. It sounds like you both are smart logical folks who need to be out riding together.

· Registered
598 Posts
My wife rides her own VStar 650 Classic and loves it. Has no problem keeping up with me on my ACE. She's quite independent. If your wife wants a bike and is well aware of the risk involved, get her a bike!

· Registered
723 Posts
The women I know that started on bikes that were to big almost all did because their SO's pushed them to go bigger so they could "keep up." She is smart, let her find the bike that feels right for her and she should be fine. Either way she is an adult and should be able to chase her dream.

· Premium Member
4,593 Posts
I wish my wife did have a desire to ride her own, but she prefers to just ride on the back of my spirit. Been that way for 14 years now. :)

· Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
7,138 Posts
I seem to be about 7 years too late to this party. Is there a better place than here to find like minds?
Welcome, there are a few women riders here and everyone's welcome. We're glad to have you. Show us some pictures of your ride or if you have questions ask away. Doesn't hurt to start your own thread and see how many other women reply.

Reactions: kesanders

· Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
20,316 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
It is nice to see a lady rider on here.

Reactions: kesanders

· Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2004 Honda Shadow Aero 750 and she is super forgiving and rides like a dream. 1st bike and just passed the MSF course. (Still need to practice though.) I have to wait for my appointment to get the magical "M" endorsement on my license, though.
It would be great to find other newbies and ladies near here who are also looking to get some practice in. (Or just discuss pointers here too!)

· Registered
2001 Shadow Spirit 750
2,197 Posts
Nice Bike. Welcome to motorcycling. Be safe and have fun. Looks like your bike has a light kit ? I see some purple and green in there.....(y)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.