Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just curious ive got a 06 shadow spirit 750 and above the radiator on the right side connected to the frame is a small cylinder looking thing with a key hole. I put my key in it and turned it but nothing happened. Anybody know what this thing is?

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
It locks the handlebars.
turn handle bars full left and lock them with it. Makes it harder for someone to jump on your bike and push it around the corner to their garage... they would have to lift it to put it in their truck. Same concept as a door lock on a car... anti-theft.

·
Registered
7,541 Posts
:shock: There is one more key hole. It’s under your left leg. When you put your key in and turn it your lights will come on. Then if you push the button on your right handle bar...you’ll hear a noise. That’s the engine. :lol:...:shock:

·
Registered
839 Posts
Just as a heads-up... i don't believe i've ever had a bike that locked the forks without wiggling the handlebars back and forth a bit to find the notch. Not much, but a little anyway. Helps when unlocking sometimes too.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Something else to remember about the fork lock. Make sure you UNLOCK it before you try to drive away and find that your stuck in a hard left hand turn, usually followed very quickly by a hard face-plant.

I always get on the bike, stand it up, and straighten out the forks before the key goes in. If the forks are locked, I know it before I even put the key in the ignition. That way, I lessen the chance of dumping on takeoff. ( and looking like a dorkstick)

Mike

·
Registered
680 Posts
turn handle bars full left and lock them with it. Makes it harder for someone to jump on your bike and push it around the corner to their garage... they would have to lift it to put it in their truck. Same concept as a door lock on a car... anti-theft.
Just as a heads-up... i don't believe i've ever had a bike that locked the forks without wiggling the handlebars back and forth a bit to find the notch. Not much, but a little anyway. Helps when unlocking sometimes too.
It's actually more kin to a wheel steer lock found on most cars these days. ;)

Helek made a good point. After turning the bars completely left, you have to very slightly move the bars right to make a full turn with the key to make the lock work - same motion when unlocking the cylinder, which is the same with a car's wheel lock.

Use of this is a good habit to get into, even if you're just running into the store quickly. Granted, if some one really wanted the bike bad enough, two people could just pick up the front end and wheel it forward. :lol:

·
Registered
586 Posts
Something else to remember about the fork lock. Make sure you UNLOCK it before you try to drive away and find that your stuck in a hard left hand turn, usually followed very quickly by a hard face-plant.

I always get on the bike, stand it up, and straighten out the forks before the key goes in. If the forks are locked, I know it before I even put the key in the ignition. That way, I lessen the chance of dumping on takeoff. ( and looking like a dorkstick)

Mike
My little old bike has the fork lock in the ignition so i can't forget to unlock it. ;-)

·
Registered
23,171 Posts
:shock: There is one more key hole. It’s under your left leg. When you put your key in and turn it your lights will come on. Then if you push the button on your right handle bar...you’ll hear a noise. That’s the engine. :lol:...:shock:

Being a wise ass. just one of the many services Charles supplies free of charge;)

·
Registered
57 Posts
I always lock mine for exactly this reason - I want to be in the habit of ALWAYS unlocking it as part of my start-up routine. I lock it even when I know my bike is parked in a safe spot.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Really? You didn't know what it was?

Where did the "follow the bouncing ball" pic go? As great as this one is, I love it, really catches the moment, that one caught all moments.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.