Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That was Friday Morning.

So today I thought the rear brakes were locking up. I needed new pads, but the rear wheel still doesn't turn more than one rotation in reverse.

So I've pulled the rear tire and the final drive unit. Still have the problem rotating the shaft in one direction.

So I opened the clutch cover and pulled all of the clutch plates. The center basket is linked to the transmission and it spins in neutral both directions, but in gear it is only free in one direction. When turned in the direction that tightens it is like screwing down a huge nut. I haven't tried to force it, but it gets too tight to turn by hand.

All that is left in the path is the universal joint and the transmission. Can anyone explain what is tightening? Am I as screwed as I think?:sad:

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
That's a strange one. I don't have any idea what could cause it. I would have diagnosed it the same way you did, so I'm I'm the dark too. I'm very curious to read what the final diagnosis is.
Good luck with this. I hope it's no too expensive.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
That was Friday Morning.

So today I thought the rear brakes were locking up. I needed new pads, but the rear wheel still doesn't turn more than one rotation in reverse.

So I've pulled the rear tire and the final drive unit. Still have the problem rotating the shaft in one direction.

So I opened the clutch cover and pulled all of the clutch plates. The center basket is linked to the transmission and it spins in neutral both directions, but in gear it is only free in one direction. When turned in the direction that tightens it is like screwing down a huge nut. I haven't tried to force it, but it gets too tight to turn by hand.

All that is left in the path is the universal joint and the transmission. Can anyone explain what is tightening? Am I as screwed as I think?:sad:
I'm a bit tired at the moment but I would jack up the bike so that both wheels are off the ground and then, with the bike in neutral, just to eliminate the possibility, spin the front wheel by hand..

If that's ok I would spin the rear wheel..

Then I would remove things one at a time until both wheels spin freely..it takes a bit of time but at least you will find the problem..

John.

·
Premium Member
7,687 Posts
Sounds like the symptoms of a gear with a broken tooth. Does that bike have a damper spring in the final drive? If so, might be broken.

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like the symptoms of a gear with a broken tooth. Does that bike have a damper spring in the final drive? If so, might be broken.
Thanks smilie. I was looking at the damper spring on the final output shaft of the tranny. I think that would explain what I am feeling. Is it likely to lock up going forward?

This really sucks. I'm not a "split the case" kind of guy. I've done and engine/tranny swap before so I know what is entailed. It's either that or get a different bike. At least it happened in my garage and I'm not stranded on a tour.

·
Premium Member
7,687 Posts
That might explain why it will only turn one rev. If the spring was broke, it would act like two screws pulling together and eventually locking.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts