Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings! New member - been riding for years, my other bikes are a 75 cb750 SOHC cafe, and a 78 cb750 supersport, drop-seat rigid chopper.

So I picked up a 94 vt1100 that had some previous electrical gremlins from the po - however we got it sorted pretty quick, turned out to be a short in the kill switch on the bars, which we just removed. Also, the fuel pump cutoff relay was missing, so we jumpered that and the pump started working - I have since ordered an actual relay, which hasn't arrived yet, but so far that wasn't been an issue.

Also - the fuel pump has been noisy since we first got it working - I'm wondering if my luck ran out and it just failed...

anyway, got it running, went for a couple short rides, no problem - however I did not yet have a tail light, or any rear lights - so that's what I started on a day ago - got a bracket fabricated to mount the tail light, then proceeded to connect the stock wires to the light - at first the brown wire was dead - checked with a voltmeter - no current when the key was turned on - so I decided to jump off the black/red wire from the headlight. Somewhere in that process, something happened, not sure what - but the fuel pump isn't turning on like it normally would, and now when you press the starter button, it only dims the lights and you can hear the radiator fan "dim" a bit as well - but no clicking, no attempt to turn over - so I'm stumped.

No blown fuses - so I'm not sure what to do next.

Note - I also removed the stock speedo and lights cluster - but that was a few days ago, and it started and ran after it was removed.

any suggestions would be awesome - I'm so stoked to get this going, but feeling super frustrated at what feels like it should be pretty simple.

·
Premium Member
2000 Honda Shadow Spirit VT1100C
2,997 Posts
now when you press the starter button, it only dims the lights and you can hear the radiator fan "dim" a bit as well - but no clicking, no attempt to turn over - so I'm stumped.
First figure out what you did that causes the fan to turn on when you press the Start Button. It shouldn't.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the fan turns on when you turn the key on - has since I got the bike - granted I've only had it for a couple weeks though. Is it not supposed to come on right away?

·
Registered
614 Posts
Temp sensor is probably shorted to ground or someone rigged a manual switch.

Pretty sure the headlight should go out when start button is pressed. both go through the button, allowing it to kill the headlight so more starting power is available. Newer ones are definitely that way. 1st check battery voltage, see if it drops when start is pressed and how far. if over 12v and it doesn't drop other than fan draw, possibly a safety switch somewhere not in right position or bad, (neutral, kickstand, clutch lever,,,)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UPDATE!

Ok, so after going through nearly all the wiring on the bike - I even replaced the partially melted plugs from the stator to the reg/rec - and plenty of other troubleshooting, we verified the starter works, the fuel pump is pumping, everything individually works - and so we decided to change out all the fuses just in case, and bam, that was it - one fuse was blown, but in a way that really didn't look blown... barely noticeable - but holy crap what a pain! Anyway, the electrical issues appear to be sorted - and my brake/tail light even works! lol

so next issue - I'm rebuilding the carbs - and the previous owner destroyed one of the carb choke plungers so now I'm on the search for a replacement - but everything I'm finding doesn't look quite the same as the one that's intact, so I wasn't sure if that was going to be an issue -

This is the one that's intact:

and this is what I was thinking about ordering - though I wish I could find just one set, since I really only need 1 assembly -

any suggestions or recomendations would be super helpful - thank you in advance, I'm nearly back on the road!

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,845 Posts
Here is a used one, plunger end piece. For 25.00. Or new for twice the price.

Reactions: duffyw

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
awesome - for some reason I hadn't even thought of searching for used parts - I just ordered that one - the cable was replaced by the previous owner, so I only really needed the plunger etc - thanksswifty2014

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One more quick question - if I install the one working plunger, do you think it'll run with leaving the other out? or do I need to somehow plug that until the replacement parts arrive?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok, gotcha - I'll be patient then - the "new" choke plunger parts should arrive tomorrow - then I"ll see if I cleared what was causing the gas leak... thanks everyone - this forum is awesome!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
UPDATE:

so the plunger parts arrived a day early - so I got the carbs all back together, both choke cables installed, all working great - fired up the bike, and instant fuel leaking again - just like before. So this time, while it was running, and leaking, I laid down on the ground to inspect where it was leaking from, and turns out the gas was leaking out of the overflow tube from the fuel pump... so does that mean the fuel pump is shot?

I also have the fuel relay jumpered, and the new relay is supposed to arrive today - could that cause this? I'm gonna install that later today, and see what happens, but I'm leaning towards it being no - guessing I"m gonna have to shell out some cash for a new pump.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,845 Posts
I believe when the fuel pump drain tube is leaking the diaphram is punctured. Yes you need a pump. It should not have mattered that you jumped it, probably just the old dried up diaphram you are now moving again.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
UPDATE!

swifty2014 - you were right - I picked up a used fuel pump off Ebay - $33.33 including shipping - that did the trick - rode down Las Vegas blvd and around the city - ran great, needs some tuning, but that'll get sorted.

I do have another question that may or may not have been answered previously -

can you use a standard flasher relay that you might find at O'Riley's or Napa? hoping I can snag one locally.

thanks for any suggestions!

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,845 Posts
Yes you can use a simple flasher if you still have regular bulbs. LED bulbs need an electronic flasher. Mine has a small can style 2 prong automotive flasher. The factory one may have 3 wires but just ignore the green one that is a ground. The white/green is the power side and the grey is out to the turn signal switch.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
update: I picked up a cheap flasher relay from O'Riley's for $7 - and that worked great! so I'm back on the road! Now I just gotta do some tuning, getting some backfiring when slowing down in lower gears, so other than that this is a blast to ride - thanks again for everyone's help!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts