Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1994 1100, the bike will start up and rev up and sound great but when you try to go the bike will die. it then will crank over but not start. 5 minutes later it will fire up just like before and then stop running just the same. if you let it idle long enough it will die too. when it cranks afterwards it sounds like it's not getting a spark. you guys think that the engine on/off switch is bad? any insight will be helpful...............

·
Registered
72 Posts
It does not sound like the engine stop switch to me. The switch got bad slowly on my 1985 1100. It got harder to start when cold, and eventually got hard to start warm. The bike ran fine after it started.

When the starter motor is cranking the engine, battery voltage drops. The dirty switch drops the voltage more to the point where the ignition is weak. After the engine starts, the voltage to the ignition is back up to the normal 12.5 to 14 volts, so the dirty switch has less effect on the ignition.

I think you are on the right track thinking it has something to do with the ignition, but I doubt it is the engine stop switch.

·
Registered
423 Posts
shdwrdr954 said:
1994 1100, the bike will start up and rev up and sound great but when you try to go the bike will die. it then will crank over but not start. 5 minutes later it will fire up just like before and then stop running just the same. if you let it idle long enough it will die too. when it cranks afterwards it sounds like it's not getting a spark. you guys think that the engine on/off switch is bad? any insight will be helpful...............
Have you recently had your tank off the bike? There is a tank vent hose underneath the tank and it sounds like it may be crimped or restricted in some way. Try popping the gas cap when the engine dies. If there's a rush of air into the tank, then the vent is not working. You can try to run the engine with the gas cap removed, but be very careful not to spill any gas out of the tank. I wouldn't try to ride the bike with the cap removed unless you have less than a half of tank of gas.

Brian

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you have to wait five minutes to make it work it sure sounds like you have a fuel flow/volume issue. Like someone else mentioned, check the tank vent, I would also check the petcock. I have seen petcock get plugged before, and the bike would only idle, and that if you were lucky. To check the fuel petcock turn it to off, then disconnect the fuel line running from it to the carb. Hold it over a container and turn the petcock on and fuel should run out fairly quickly. If it only drips out you are close to the source of your problem.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Just replied to a similar post.

Did the bike sit for more than a few months?

If so, definately look for a fuel issue. I had that exact problem with my Dual Sport that sat for a year inmy garage. It would start after some coaxing, idle barely but if any throttle was applied, she died. Turns out fule gummed up in the carb/jets. After removing and cleaning it's guts, she runs perfect. From that point on, I sarted using the "gas store" additive on all my engines that sit over winter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i live in sunny south florida, this is a weekly ridden cycle. i believe it is not a fuel issue because when it dies it just cuts out. not like a starving issues where the bike will start to pop and stutter. i still plan on changing both fuel filters when i finally get the bike to my chopshop. i was hoping to ride it there not trailer it.
anyone with any addition thoughts on this issue please chime in !!

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
shdwrdr954 said:
i live in sunny south florida, this is a weekly ridden cycle. i believe it is not a fuel issue because when it dies it just cuts out. not like a starving issues where the bike will start to pop and stutter. i still plan on changing both fuel filters when i finally get the bike to my chopshop. i was hoping to ride it there not trailer it.
anyone with any addition thoughts on this issue please chime in !!
I remember a similar situation we tried to troubleshoot 6 months ago and it turned out to be the kickstand switch or neutral switch intermittantly killing the bike suddenly so you may want to by-pass those switches and see if that does it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
UPDATE

Believe it or not the bike is starting and running correctly. I think something got wet and after about 1 week of sitting and drying out, i reinstalled the battery , fired it up and it has been running normal ever since.......................go f-en figure

1 - 9 of 9 Posts