Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If one were to acquire the footpeg mounts from a Shadow RS, would they bolt up to another model Shadow? Forward footpegs make me uncomfortable, the Shadow RS is a bit too high-sitting, and it's quite hard to find, these days.

I want to get a Spirit or Aero (both of which are more abundant than the RS), and reduce the reach of the pegs significantly.

I'm pretty sure they might need some holes drilled, but I'd love to know more.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I would suggest looking at the online OEM parts diagrams of the "Frame" and "Step" of prospective bikes as a way to rule some out.

I have considered the swap with my 750 ACE and I think if I grabbed all the mounts, brake and shift linkage from a non-ABS 750 RS it might just come close to bolting up to the frame. and move the pegs back 2 or 3 inches.
The lower section 750 ACE frame is surprisingly similar to the 750 RS with the pegs already more rearward than the other VT750 bikes with the exception of the RS.
I don't think the possible swap carries over to any of the other VT750 models, they have a different lower frame design, the shaft drive bikes have wider crankcase cover extensions that I think would also interfere.

Another thing to consider is the routing of exhaust pipes.

Having said all that I have not done any in depth comparisons of the models, I have also been wrong before and there is probably nothing that cannot be overcome with some welding and further parts substitution. I would not go drilling into a frame tube without serious thought about sleeving and possibly gusseting the holes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good stuff. Thank you. It's likely going to be easier and more cost effective to create a sleeve with threaded posts to attach hardware to.

Or I could tack on some deep boots to a sleeve and attach that to the frame.

At any rate, adding a sleeve is a smarter idea that only threaded inserts.

There is an '04 Aero for sale locally, and I need to step down from silly bikes that wheelie readily. I just don't like the feet-forward position most cruisers force me into. And I do not want a Harley.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I think the only way to get air under the front wheel of an Aero is using a jack.
The limited power output, weight and geometry keep them pretty solidly attached to the ground.
Having said that somebody will post a video of one doing stunts. (-;

Cruiser riding feels pretty strange at first, give it a week or so you may find the positioning tolerable at least.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sorta not related, but I did the rear set foot peg swat on a 77 CB550. The 550 has a slight peg forward compared to the CB400F. I did own both bikes at the time and could see that it would likely work. Found the 400F pegs on ebay and the 550 took them w/o frame mods. If the pegs are available cheap and you feel like an experiment, go for it. Or, alternatively, moving the seat up and forward may make a similar adjustment to ergonomics. Also, there is a large, sharp hump in the road near my house that launches my Aero just a tiny bit at speed, good fun!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts