Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
97 BMW - R1100GS with hard bags, and 59K. Comes with two helmets (1 s full face and 1 L 3/4 face) with a bad battery and a few (very minor) scratches for 5k/obo. Also comes with a summer BMW riding jacket (must pay 5k to get that). The owner says it runs great other than said issues. I ask so I can advise him whether this is too much or not. He is trying to sell it (I posted it in the for sale as well, but I want to know if this is a deal or not so I can advise him on it)

·
Registered
590 Posts
scythefwd said:
97 BMW - R1100GS with hard bags, and 59K. Comes with two helmets (1 s full face and 1 L 3/4 face) with a bad battery and a few (very minor) scratches for 5k/obo. Also comes with a summer BMW riding jacket (must pay 5k to get that). The owner says it runs great other than said issues. I ask so I can advise him whether this is too much or not. He is trying to sell it (I posted it in the for sale as well, but I want to know if this is a deal or not so I can advise him on it)
Try N.A.D.A. for adv. retail. Might help you understand the market.

·
Registered
236 Posts
The dead battery would make me nervous. good chance it has been sitting for a while without being "winterized". I would check long and hard for seperated fuel, dry rotted rubber, and other electrical problems that tend to sprout up when a bike sits for too long. All of that is not too expensive to fix, but it is a PIA.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I would be asking myself: Self.....why isn't this guy who is wanting $5k for a bike, spending $50 for a battery so prospective buyers can hear it run?

I have sold alot of cars - motorcycles - trucks.....(most of them no where close to 5 grand) and if they were capable of running, there was a battery in it so they could drive it away.

Just my 2 cents worth....

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Last I heard, he was going to put the battery on a charger. My battery is pretty shot too... it happens and it may be that the battery isn't holding a charge too well. With the bike being a 97, thats up to 10 years on that battery. good suggestions though, keep em coming.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Man never by anything that wont start under it s owm power. That means no jumpers of any sort. The bike was designed to crank under a certian ampage. You can hook a carcharger that has enough power to crank a V-8 with a dead battery .will spin a motorcycle very fast......so you would know if the starter was draging little are not. This happend to me befour. Dude had this big snap-on charger.said the batt..was just weak.Bought a new one and it still drug...bad starter.that and a battery will make a lot of difference in the saleing price..Acording to cycletrader.its pretty close.hope this helps

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am leary of any ad that states things like:
"Runs great, but the battery is dead"
"Ran great last season, haven't started up yet this year"
"Just needs carb cleaning"

These are usually symptoms of a bike that likely will need a lot more than a battery or a carb cleaning because as Zman stated, all he would have to do is go spend some cash on a new battery and then he could sell the bike "in working condition" for much more money.

Though the price of $5000 for that bike is still tempting.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the info. seems the "ad" I put in the forsale forum got taken down. Not exactly sure why, but it was taken down for a reason, so I am not going to repost it. If you are interested in taking a look at the bike... pm me and I will get you in touch with the guy selling it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts