Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, on my fun run today, I came across a set of cycle cps, maybe 10 of them passing me n the other direction. As I passed lake Hodges’s and into Escondido, I saw a cop taking up the pylons they had laid out and there was a sign stating “drivers license check”. Ok, so I have ever seen one of these before but I was amazed at what they had set up. There was the cop bikes that passed me obviously, they had at least 12 police cruisers sitting on the side of the road. Additionally they had four very large tow/transport trucks ready to take away any car driven by those who did not have a valid license. I do not know what their criteria was as I ran across this site at the very end of there operation. I was stunned at the manpower they had there and what they were prepared to do ( take your car to the impound on the spot) and what they were willing to do ( pursue everybody who did not stop). In any event, I was not stopped and I had the paperwork for my ride. But has anybody else ever seen this type of spot check?

Dragoon

·
Registered
294 Posts
I've ran into a couple spot checks, but nothing that agressive most of the ones around here consist of 2 officers, 3 at tops thats all. However thats one thing I like about riding a bike, they normally never ask for me to actually show them everything, Just the inspection and plate sticker thats all, they think it's to much work to get at the toolbox for the papers :)

·
Registered
295 Posts
I've seen them several times and they are really used to catch drunk/impaired drivers. That is what the tow vehicles are for. They used to call them DUI checkpoints, but I assume that they wanted to broaden the scope of the reason for the stop. Probably because someone was cited for something other than DUI who sued. The additional manpower is to go after anyone who tries to bypass or avoid the checkpoint. They won't snatch your vehicle just because you can't produce a valid drivers license and registration.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I didn't think they could actually do that. I thought they had to have probable cause to stop you and ask for your info.

where as at a sobriety check, if you appear drunk, thats the cause.
Personally I am glad they are checking people.....I pay way too much in uninsured motorist insurance, and most of them don't have a license

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
I have been stopped, middle of the day, middle of Nowhere, VA. Two officers, checked my license walked around my vehicle (trailering a dirt bike) and informed me my tail/brake lights were out. Fortunately I discovered the trailer wire had worn in two earlier from dragging the ground, and told him I would fix it as soon as I got to my destination.....seemed to be a satisfactory answer and I went on my way.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I went through one before, and thank god they found what they were looking for before me and my brother got there. He had tags on his bike that were 6 years old. He was riding and the new plate vibrated off his bike. So he had to use my old one. I was scared **** less for him!

·
Registered
336 Posts
They don't need "probable" cause as long as they are stopping everyone.
This is known as "equal protection under the law".

I was told by a LEO that you had a good chance of beating a speeding ticket when a radar trap is set up where they only pull you over, or just a few, while letting others following at the same speed go by without stopping them. I guess like most citations, if you go to the trouble of showing up for the hearing and presenting SOME kind of case for yourself, the judge/clerk will drop or reduce the citation.

Gumpy

·
Registered
91 Posts
dragoon - there was a story on the LA news recently about these driver's license checks in SoCal. If I remember the story correctly; they are cracking down on people who are driving with no license or with suspended licenses and they are indeed towing cars of the offenders even if it isn't the offenders car.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I have never seen this before, but needless to say, I carry the papers that I need. The funny thing, or maybe the thoughtful thing, was that this was set up exactly at the border of Escondido and Rancho Santa Fe. So clearly, the minute you enter their jurisdiction ,you would have been nabbed. Truthfully, after being hit by a drive who did not stop for what ever reason, I will never know for sure, I was actually happy that they were doing this.
So I was in Denver on Wednesday, and the local talk station was talking about Drunk driving stops, and funny enough, the law states that they have to have an out for the driver, whereby when he/she realizes that there is this spot check ahead, he/she can veer off and avoid it. However, they set them up such that there are only one or two outlets from the check and they cover them heavily with smokies anyway.

Good work on the polices side, I applaud them.

Cheers

Dragoon.

·
Registered
14 Posts
In 1990 the U.S. Supreme Court upheld the use of sobriety checkpoints but on the sad note that it does indeed violate 4th amendment rights. In the interest of catching drunk drivers and minimizing tyranny the court recommended guidelines for these checkpoints.

The guidelines include:
1) the checkpoints be set up in areas and at times where DUI is most prevalent,
2) the checkpoints are instigated by a higher level than just the officer on the street, and
3) public notice of the checkpoints should be served at a reasonable time before they occur.

License/insurance checkpoints should not be upheld by the courts and there should not be citations/arrests for anything other than DUI at a sobriety checkpoint.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I pass through them all the time in the southwest.
"Are you a U.S. Citizen"
"Yes Sir I am"
"Move along"
I always raise my visor so they can see my red white and blue eyes.
Glen

·
Registered
943 Posts
Skymaster said:
In 1990 the U.S. Supreme Court upheld the use of sobriety checkpoints but on the sad note that it does indeed violate 4th amendment rights. In the interest of catching drunk drivers and minimizing tyranny the court recommended guidelines for these checkpoints.

The guidelines include:
1) the checkpoints be set up in areas and at times where DUI is most prevalent,
2) the checkpoints are instigated by a higher level than just the officer on the street, and
3) public notice of the checkpoints should be served at a reasonable time before they occur.

License/insurance checkpoints should not be upheld by the courts and there should not be citations/arrests for anything other than DUI at a sobriety checkpoint.
everything seems to violate someones rights anymore. But too dragoons point, I agree with what they do

·
Registered
11,263 Posts
sdbrit68 said:
I didn't think they could actually do that. I thought they had to have probable cause to stop you and ask for your info.

where as at a sobriety check, if you appear drunk, thats the cause.
Personally I am glad they are checking people.....I pay way too much in uninsured motorist insurance, and most of them don't have a license
Anything can be probable cause and if they do it systematically (check every 4'th car) it's considered random. BTW...you are stopped at a sobriety check at random....not because you appear drunk....they screen drivers and see what turns up...
"We" gave up a big chunk of "our" rights when "we" all got on the MADD bandwagon and thought the sobriety checkpoints were a great idea. Anytime I go through one I think of The Great Escape.....(heavy German accent) "Do you have your papers?" Good idea......bad way to go about it.

·
Registered
943 Posts
it's a tough call....but I believe we have to give up some freedoms for the good of the whole.

It's like insurance, we are all suppossed to have it, but after dragoons accident post, I added more uninsured and underinsured motorist protection.

so in essence, I am paying more because some people just wont take responsibility for themselves.

it sucks, but is a reality

·
Registered
292 Posts
They have that here in NS only to a greater degree.
They have a "blitz" as they call it where they pull over cars, put them up on ramps and go over the vehicle to make sure it's roadworthy. Obviousy they don't pull over newer vehicles just ones that don't look right or safe but they check all for proper paperwork. I think the fine for no insurance is over $1000 and you're vehicle's towed.
As well as having the RCMP they have Lands and Forest people to check for illegal game, Vehicle Compliance guys do the vehicle checks and tow trucks to do the rest.
It's usually set up on a Trans Canada in an area that you can't bypass once you're on it.
I do have a bit of an advantage, working for DOT I sometimes get a heads up when they'e doing their thing....Mike

·
Registered
10,153 Posts
sdbrit68 said:
it's a tough call....but I believe we have to give up some freedoms for the good of the whole.

It's like insurance, we are all suppossed to have it, but after dragoons accident post, I added more uninsured and underinsured motorist protection.

so in essence, I am paying more because some people just wont take responsibility for themselves.

it sucks, but is a reality
So true. After having lived in SoCal I understand the issues. Illegals drive without licenses and insurance. The weather aside I would not want to live anywhere in Cali anymore.

You must carry maximum uninsured and under insured. It is well worth it on a bike...especially in a no helmet state like SC.

·
Registered
457 Posts
When my mom was in car accident in January, the driver went through the red light and t-boned my mom's car which had pushed mom's car into other car at the left turn lane. Anyway that 21 year old girl in left turn lane has no insurance AND driver license :!: :shock: Police impounded her boyfriend's car away.

What's the matter with those drivers :?: :?: :?:

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Happens here all the time mostly local cops, state police has a full blown dui set up with a bus to do the processing, etc.

Of course the local cops and sheriff are all fundie xtreme right types and belive that they have the right to haul you off, lock you up and throw away the key just for disagreeing with them.

BTW here you don't have to have lights on a trailer at all as long as you don't cross state lines and have a reflector on the trailer. Been stopped several times for that and the officer has to shut up and walk away when I remind them of that silly little thing called the law.

8)

·
Registered
286 Posts
I don't know if it's true or not, but I hear that up here in Wisconsin the LEOs will put up a sign saying 'sobriety checkpoint ahead'... and then stop ONLY the cars who pull a u-turn. Seems like a good system to me. If you are doing nothing wrong you don't get hassled, and if you are (and try to avoid it) you get busted. No one's rights infringed upon.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.