Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was at my girlfriends house last night and around 11pm a guy knocks at the door looking for the owner of the silver motorcycle. I said it was me and came outside, and he told me as he was backing out he accidentally hit it. We went to the parking lot and there was my brand new VLX, on it's side. He looked really nervous and I kind of laughed at the situation, but picked up the bike and was surprised that there was very little damage. The front brake lever is bent in half, my right peg is beat up and the endcap to the throttle control has been scratched all the way to the plastic. The worst of it was the back where he actually hit it; my license plate is bent in half and the piece it bolts to was bent back and resting on my tire. I bent it back out and rode it home later that night. He gave me all of his info and told me he'll gladly cover all the repair costs. I plan to take it to the dealership and have them double check that nothing structurally is damaged, and I'll just have the guy write me a check for the cost at the dealer. The only part that bugs me is the scratched exhaust, but last time I checked the stock pipes retailed for close to $600 and I can't do that to the guy. He said he was so shocked that I was so calm and collected, but I said it was obviously an accident, it's just a bike, nobody was hurt, and that was that. I also thanked him for being honest about it, it would have been much easier to just drive away.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Nope
its totaled.
Mr. Honest needs to buy you a bran new gl1800!

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
mac3687 said:
So I was at my girlfriends house last night and around 11pm a guy knocks at the door looking for the owner of the silver motorcycle. I said it was me and came outside, and he told me as he was backing out he accidentally hit it. We went to the parking lot and there was my brand new VLX, on it's side. He looked really nervous and I kind of laughed at the situation, but picked up the bike and was surprised that there was very little damage. The front brake lever is bent in half, my right peg is beat up and the endcap to the throttle control has been scratched all the way to the plastic. The worst of it was the back where he actually hit it; my license plate is bent in half and the piece it bolts to was bent back and resting on my tire. I bent it back out and rode it home later that night. He gave me all of his info and told me he'll gladly cover all the repair costs. I plan to take it to the dealership and have them double check that nothing structurally is damaged, and I'll just have the guy write me a check for the cost at the dealer. The only part that bugs me is the scratched exhaust, but last time I checked the stock pipes retailed for close to $600 and I can't do that to the guy. He said he was so shocked that I was so calm and collected, but I said it was obviously an accident, it's just a bike, nobody was hurt, and that was that. I also thanked him for being honest about it, it would have been much easier to just drive away.
I would be willing to be you could get a suitably unscratched set of mufflers or the whole exahaust sytems from someone for less than $100. Lot of them get replaced for aftermarket exhaust so there is a glut of stock exhaust usually available for a song....hell I have two set of stock ones for the 1100 spirits. Plus a set of V&H Classic II's not installed at the moment. :wink:

BTW I think it real decent of you to think about saving the guy a few bucks for being honest......

·
Registered
11,115 Posts
Funny how people sometimes do that stuff and then drive away!
Glad no one was hurt and that both of you handled it extremely well 8)

·
Registered
318 Posts
cool what you did since he was honest about it. most people would have left and never said anything, probably.
i was rear ended once in my car at a stop sign, no damage, but the person who hit me was a complete jerk, said their suv was fine and left, seriously yelling at me for wasting their time when they were already late. i got their plate and filed a police report, and insurance report, i hope their insurance went up.
it pays to be nice to others!
and not asking him for $600 for the exhaust is great too.

barrett

·
Registered
191 Posts
Mac
Ever heard of Karma?
In december I had an older lady back into me at the post office and try to drive off. No real damage that would not buff out but I was pissed off cause she tried to leave. She said it did not feel like she hit "that hard". Well, I did not cuss or anything, but I was not real nice either. I ended up deciding to do nothing cause it really was not that bad.

Later that same day, pulling out of a gas station a guy stops to let me out. I waved him off, but he insisted. I looked again for traffic and pulled out, right in front of a jeep that jumped out of the line of traffic.

I told my wife I should have been nicer to the lady earlier and the latter would not have happened.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
You did good. Everyone likes to complain about how so many people aren't stand up individuals but you just made it easier for this guy to do the right thing again in the future.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I have to say you really handled that very well. I think it was nice of the person to come and find you.

I hope if this happens to me (actually I hope it never happens, but if it does) that I will react as well as you did. I worry about my bike all the time when it's parked anywhere but my garage. Reading your story is a good example and an inspiration for me and I will keep it in mind.

Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have to agree. Its really hard to be honest about something you did wrong, but I think its equally hard to be collected and react well to an apology. kudos to both of you.

PS. I used to live in Melbourne, FL went to FIT there. Its a very nice little city. I kinda miss it :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Honest people

You were lucky indeed! Most people wouldn't have "fessed up" and you handled the situation very well. Back in '65, a neighbor knocked on my door and said he had just witnessed my next door neighbor crunch my brand new '65 305 Honda Dream between his car and my truck when he was parking. I was told he crunched it, got out, looked at it and just went in his house. When I confronted him about it he said it was laying on the ground when he parked! I said there was a witness. He says he didn't see anybody around when he parked.(now I'm gettin' p*ssed off) Then he says motorcycles should be banned anyway and the people who ride them are degenerates and need their heads examined! (really p*ssed now) Was about to kick his a** but reconsidered because he was about 73 or 74 at the time and I was only 19! Didn't want to be embarassed if I lost!! Went home, called cops, got it straightened out. $350 damage. A lot back then but I think I only paid about $858 for it new with a windshield. Rode that bike for about 10 yrs. Sure wish I still had it. Great little bike. Sorry for gettin' long winded.

·
Registered
8,119 Posts
Wow. Its nice to know honest people still exist and that understanding people like you are still around.

Don't know what else to say that others haven't said about you except

" You Dah Man ".

Chris

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hey bunky I had a red and silver 66 305 super hawk, I thought it was the meanest thing around of course I weighed about 100 lbs less than I do now so it probably would not perform as well for me now but I sure do miss that bike.
Sorry not trying to hijack this thread.
Jeff

1 - 13 of 13 Posts