Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was coming around a left handed curve about 50mph when my front tire started coming out from under me (sand)
I was coming out of it but I couldnt avoid the soft shoulder...
on top of that I had a power pole coming right at me at speed, so it was either try for the pavement and hope I didnt hit the pole, or take the muddy field...so I went that way...
rolled my hand controls back around and rode it the 20 mile home though... these Nomads are some tuff old birds, but she took a beating as well

Wreck 01182015 Photos by markdavidson64 | Photobucket

·
Registered
11,171 Posts
Saw this over in the 'What did you do....." thread.

Sand in a curve is about as avoidable as a deer strike....you can look and look and slow down and it pretty much comes down to it being avoidable only if you had stayed home.

I think the big plus here is you kept your wits and made a good split second decision, and maintained enough control to pull it off. This very easily could have been a "You hit the pole because of target fixation" discussion. Very glad it is not.

Glad you're not too banged up either. Keep us posted on the bike / repairs...I too like the looks of that thing, would hate to see it gone.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Sand in a curve is about as avoidable as a deer strike....Glad you're not too banged up either. Keep us posted on the bike / repairs...I too like the looks of that thing, would hate to see it gone.
Vito said it all. I'm glad you are OK and I can't wait to see that beautiful Vulcan back to it's former state.

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
Glad you are safe. THAT's the biggie.
Sorry for the damage to that fine bike; she is definitely one of the prettiest ones here, and good luck on the fix.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanx for all the encouragement,

I have already sent photos and a description of the accident to my insurance,
they called back and already have approved my claim, just have to have the adjuster look her over;

Frame, forks, and wheels are all fine. I can go hands free at 60
engine runs fine, actually better than fine with my new tuner.

I did remove anything non-stock in case they wanted to get silly

·
Banned
5,100 Posts
2009...49,xxx miles
ok thanks, i'ts hard to tell with "Retro" Bikes, at least for me.

Did the bike flip? because it looks like damage is low side and high side.
Looks like you impacted on the left side but the right hand side saddlebag was damaged like it took impact.

were you High-side heading for that power pole when you gave it throttle avoided the pole then went low-side in the muddy field?

EDIT: reversed my high-side low side senario, i originally said it wrong.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I felt that if I tried to jump the 4 or 5 inches back up on to the pavement, I would either hit the pole, or high-side on the pavement, so I just took her down the embankment into the field, hoping I had shed enough speed to lay down in the field. I think what happened was as soon as my front tire hit that mud, my front end stopped and the rest of us just kept going "ass over teakettle "

from there I picked her up, rotated my hand controls back to where I could reach them, fired her up and duckwalked her out of there.

then looked to see if she was seaworthy, called the wife to let her know and went home by the way of a car wash so I could assess the damage without looking at mud

I feel VERY lucky, sore, but lucky

·
Banned
5,100 Posts
I felt that if I tried to jump the 4 or 5 inches back up on to the pavement, I would either hit the pole, or high-side on the pavement, so I just took her down the embankment into the field, hoping I had shed enough speed to lay down in the field. I think what happened was as soon as my front tire hit that mud, my front end stopped and the rest of us just kept going "ass over teakettle "

from there I picked her up, rotated my hand controls back to where I could reach them, fired her up and duckwalked her out of there.

then looked to see if she was seaworthy, called the wife to let her know and went home by the way of a car wash so I could assess the damage without looking at mud

I feel VERY lucky, sore, but lucky
Hell yes you were lucky, that's a lot of weight to be dancing (and rolling around) with.....

you got a dose of adrenaline today huh.

I think you will come out of this Ok in the end.

Like I said keep hanging in there :cool:

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Sorry to hear of your accident but glad that you are OK. Everything else can be replaced or fixed, you, not so much. I hope you get back on 2 wheels again soon!

·
Administrator
1997 Valkyrie Standard
11,046 Posts
How's the tough old bird that was driving the Nomad doing?

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hip is bruised, right at my belt line.
other soreness from rolling around in the field I am sure will crop up tomorrow.

what has me really surprised is that I didn't even think twice about crawling back on to get her home. And I am bummed I can't (rather shouldn't) ride her in to work tomorrow

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
don't let it bother you, you walked away and managed to ride your bike home, that's two plusses in my book..

sometimes there is no time to avoid something on a blind curve, some people say only bad riders have accidents because they should have been riding slower or they should be more alert for the road conditions.. I don't believe that, what I do believe is that when that accident is inevitable and you have a second to think of your best option you can survive most accidents, your decision at that last second saved you, your bike and any other road users that may have been in your path.. Welcome to the club, I've had a few like that in my 55 years of riding.

John.

·
Premium Member
7,678 Posts
Sorry to hear of your mishap, but glad you're ok and that the bike will survive as well. Sounds like you made the right choice in the end as it could have been much worse. Heal quick and keep us updated. I'm sure you'll be one sore puppy in the morning.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Glad to see you no worse for wear Mark.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
don't let it bother you, you walked away and managed to ride your bike home, that's two plusses in my book..

sometimes there is no time to avoid something on a blind curve, some people say only bad riders have accidents because they should have been riding slower or they should be more alert for the road conditions.. I don't believe that...
Even though I have been the victim of gravel in a curve I can't agree with you. Especially on a blind curve you should never enter faster than a worst-case scenario around the corner dictates -- because sometimes the worst case happens. If you did not anticipate it it's 100% your fault.

On a road I know with good sightlines I will push it -- but just guessing and/or hoping there are no hazards ahead is for braver riders than me.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts