1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
I would say that if he was watching he could have avoided that. MCs are most vulnerable at any intersection....intersection in a city; much more so.

This is what happens when you pay little attention to your surroundings at a time when it is critical to do so.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The actual fault NO DOUBT lies with the cager. However this accident was totally avoidable if the MC was driving the least bit defensive. Just glad the guy seemed ok. However it did seem like after a few minutes and a drop in adrenaline, he started feeling the pain in his knee.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Definitely avoidable.

Notice the motorcycle just to his left. That rider was in no hurry to be the first ( and most vulnerable ) through the intersection.

Lesson learned: He who hesitates... lives to ride another day. ;-)

·
Registered
11,527 Posts
I would say that if he was watching he could have avoided that. MCs are most vulnerable at any intersection....intersection in a city; much more so.

This is what happens when you pay little attention to your surroundings at a time when it is critical to do so.
What was he supposed to do? What all day. He waited until he has the right a way and went. The car blew right through the stop.

·
Premium Member
8,878 Posts
Almost seems like the car making the left on that side of the intersection created a blind spot.. It's sometimes better to be covered if you notice them.. For example, use a car to your left as a shield from a broadside which could possibly come from the left..

Occasionally I'll be caught in the same position going through an intersection, but I'll go real slow and strain to see if there's no cover and I encounter a blind spot.. Fools rush in etc..

I think in this case, the accident could have been avoided by paying attention to the nature of approaching cars to the intersection and a-little paranoia regarding blind-spots is never a bad thing.

Just my take on the whole thing.. :)

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What was he supposed to do? What all day. He waited until he has the right a way and went. The car blew right through the stop.
I certainly would not wait 'all day'. But I can ( almost ) guarantee you that motorcyclist will wait 'just a little longer' before lunging through the next intersection. ( On his next bike. )

NO DOUBT the cager is at fault. NO DOUBT the rider is lucky to be alive to post the video. NO DOUBT many of YOU will have that picture in your mind at the next intersection.

And as I'm often fond of saying, "Learn from others' misfortune." :lol:

·
Premium Member
8,878 Posts
Sometimes good to watch these things.. Humbling.. Y'know.. I'll watch those motorcycle fail compilations on occasion too, see what I can learn.. Mostly it's a lot of no-brainer and idiotic stuff.. But occasionally, you can learn from these things..

Always a wake-up call, in any event..

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Monday morning quarter backs.
If I'm not mistaken today is Friday. :razz:

And you are 'mistaken' also. Quarter back is one word; quarterback. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
He gunned it when he got the green and didn't look for possible red light blowers ... bad move. Agreed it was avoidable if he was more defensive. And no he shouldn't wait all day, but yes he should have waited until all traffic at the intersection came to a full stop (from all directions). Hey man, you gotta look out for yourself because nobody else will. In this instance the fact that he was on a bike is irrelevant. A cager in the same situation (acting the same way) would have been t-boned.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Option 1. Wait alllll day - Option 2. Not get Plowed by a car & dam near killed. Hmmmm lets think about this....Hmmmmm. Yea ill go with Op. 2 All the right of way and or laws wont do you any good while their scraping your intestines off the road. Better to loose 5 minutes of your life than your life in 5 minutes. IMO

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
The guy did left/right head checks of traffic ALL during the RED light, but he saw green and never did another head check.. Oh and bikes can be tandem in a lane a light, but in my state you cannot ride in tandem. I don't even recommend being at a stop light in tandem formation as the rider that will be "following the leader" is just as likely to get rear ended. Done it, but really pointless, I'm too deaf to understand what might be said anyway.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
No situational awareness on the part of the rider. He was to busy doing a wheelie off the line to pay attention to traffic. The rider to his left held back and waited until traffic cleared. Yea, the cager probably ran the light, but that happens all the time and MC riders need to watch out for it. It doesn't matter if you're right if you're dead.
Sorry, but no sympathy for self inflicted injuries and damage.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Hey, he was looking back & forth for so long, I almost stopped watching before the crash. Attention didn't seem to be the problem. Trusting the car driver was attentive might have been a mistake. Let's not play high & mighty though, we have all been too close for comfort.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Hey, he was looking back & forth for so long, I almost stopped watching before the crash. Attention didn't seem to be the problem. Trusting the car driver was attentive might have been a mistake. Let's not play high & mighty though, we have all been too close for comfort.
Whatever happened before the light turned green is irrelevant. Watch the video again.

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
Whatever happened before the light turned green is irrelevant. Watch the video again.
Light turned green, he didn't check traffic, hit the throttle to wheelie and got creamed by the car that ran the light. He was in the right, despite the wheelie, but he still got hit.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Light turned green, he didn't check traffic, hit the throttle to wheelie and got creamed by the car that ran the light. He was in the right, despite the wheelie, but he still got hit.
That's what I saw too old dad. The "didn't check traffic" being a key contributor to the accident, along with the guy that blew the light obviously. The "was in the right" argument is meaningless if you are dead.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts