1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Assuming this is not the full fee for a car and that bikes can park in less than 1 parking spot per bike then I seen no harm in this - why should the cars drivers foot the entire bill.

"We decided everyone needed to pay their fair share," Rosie said. Motorcycle spots "cost less to maintain, but they still cost."
"If you purchase a normal pass," he said, "you're subsidizing the motorcycle cost, which was free."

I like to launch my boat in at a local county park - they charge for boat launching -- but anyone can picnic and play sports, frisbee golf, beach volley ball, bbq for free all day long. I think everyone should pay for whatever they are using at different rates of course because maintaining a lauch ramp is not cheap - but maintenance of the other activities isn't free either.

·
Registered
292 Posts
That is insane. When I went to Ohio State, they charged me around $300 for a central lot permit (pretty much park anywhere on campus). I was always jealous of my buddies who had bikes because they paid all of $15 to park anywhere on/around campus.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My issues with the new policy are 1) This rate is not in line with other comparable institutions. The price is $162, 75% of the cost of the cheapest annual parking permit for a car at WVU. Motorcycles take up much less than 75% of the space that a car occupies, and don't forget that most people can't ride year round. 2)Motorcycle parking in temporary lots is impractical due to the inability to prevent the theft of prepaid parking slips, and 3)the principle of trying to spin this as encouraging individuals to utilize motorcycles as opposed to cars/trucks is just insulting.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I take a class each semester at our local community college.

Parking is free, but you have to display your parking sticker. In the car, I hang it from a ribbon on the mirror. When I went to register my bike, I asked them about the sticker. I am not putting a sticker ON my bike.

They said that was fine. Just keep it on me and if I get a ticket, just bring them the ticket and the sticker.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
University of Pittsburgh - I'd say is in a more urban area - and only charges $25/semester for a bike parking permit. I get to park in an indoor, heated garage that is 1 block from my classes. There are other students that park their bikes there year-round, whether or not they live in the dorms, for that price.

A car permit, on the other hand, is something over $200, and the parking lot is more than a mile away from the main concentration of classes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.