Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After years of prolix and pompous pontificating on how to operate a motorcycle safely, and after 30 years of serious-incident-free biking, I must now humbly report that Mr. Odds caught up with me this past weekend. In fact, Mr. Odds decided to make up for his past indulgence to me.

When a car approaches a stop sign intersecting a route you are travelling, there are usually three scenarios: 1) he slows down but just rolls through without coming to a stop, indicating that he probably didn't even look to see if anything was coming; 2) he slows to an "almost" stop and then proceeds, indicating that he may have taken a quick glance in your direction but probably didn't see you; or 3) he stops completely and waits for you to pass. Or maybe not...#3 seemed to be his intent up to the moment he abruptly pulled out in front of me, catching me totally by surprise and so close that there was no time to avoid the crash.

So as I launched Superman-like off my bike and sailed over his hood (that's bonnet for you, Graham) I reflected momentarily on the fact that you just can't assume anything. My revery was, sadly, interrupted by oncoming pavement which demanded my full attention in order to make a good impression (impression, ha ha, get it?).

Pilots claim that any landing you walk away from is a good one, so I cannot claim success by that standard. Still, after an ambulance ride to the ER and few probes, palpations and x-rays it was determined that only my self-esteem had sustained permanent damage, and the bruises to my body were insufficient to prevent me from shuffling out after a few hours under my own (reduced) steam.

The sad upshot of this is that my beloved Suzuki GV1200 is now sitting in a tow yard with a bent frame and possible internal injuries, awaiting a certain death sentence from the cager's insurance company adjustor. As Monty Python might say, "It is NO MORE. It has CEASED TO BE." And that's very sad, because I REALLY liked that bike.

Anyhoo, the moral of my little message is....well, I guess there isn't any, except that you can't win them all. Broad daylight, headlight on, approaching at moderate speed...but the guy bagged me anyway, telling the CHP on the scene, "I just didn't see him." If I had been that invisible in my youth I would have spent more time in the girl's locker room. :wink:

And finally, I'm completely inexperienced at this kind of thing, being a rookie victim and all, so if anyone can point me in the direction of some information as to what my rights might be with regard to compensation for the bike, medical bills, etc., I would be grateful. I'm sure his insurance company will try to stiff me using all the devious maneuvers in their ample arsenal.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Sorry to hear about the accident, but very glad to hear that you will be OK! I am not experienced in the accident victim thing. I would assume that the cager's insurance company would deal with you fairly. They should feel lucky that all they have to pay for is your bike and a few minor medical bills! It could have been alot worse! Don't forget to get reimbursed for protective gear that might have been damaged/ruined in your Superman impression.

Once again, glad to hear you will be OK!

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Your self esteem will quickly heal, fortunately that is the only healing you needed after this incident. Bikes can be replaced body parts are a little harder to come by.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Sorry to hear about your accident. Must say though... this was definitely the most entertaining post I've read all week. I appreciate the opportunity to visualize each frame of the incident as I sit here bored to tears on a Friday afternoon.

I always envision myself sailing off the back and landing like a cat .... Just like I envisioned myself to be a "natural" rider--- that didn't turn out so well either.

Good luck and glad to hear you're not permanently damaged!!

·
Registered
590 Posts
Mikeb, sorry about your crash and real glad you came out as well as you did. One thing you might keep in mind in dealing with Insurance is maybe you can buy bike @ salvage price and then part it out. :wink: I had a buddy do this and came out about $1,800 to the good. Just a thought. Good luck.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
1. Let me say that I'm happy to hear you walked away from this accident and I hope your bruises heal prompltly.

2. The people at Suzuki are working night and day to make sure you will have another bike you can love. Not to worry.

3. Dial this number: 1-800-getmeafrigginlawyer and get you a friggin lawyer. They understand that pain and suffering stuff, they deliver it all the time. I hope you get enough for a 2007 whatever and all the accessories you desire.

·
Registered
902 Posts
MikeB said:
If I had been that invisible in my youth I would have spent more time in the girl's locker room.
I'm sorry to have to say, in such a somber moment, that that is one of the FUNNIEST things I have read on this forum!

Seriously:
Glad you're not hurt worse, and sorry about the bike.
I know you have a safe attitude and good skills. Just goes to show how little it takes sometimes to get on the wrong side of Mr. Murphy, but your 30-year safety record is testimony that you do not have a fatalistic, victim approach to riding. Which is the main thing I find myself pontificating against when I have the floor...

So here's hoping you're back in the (presumably new) saddle soon.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Mike, glad you're OK and thanks for shaking my confidence to the core. :(
I'm in the same boat you were in (30+ years no mishap) and beginning to somehow believe that I might be spared something like that. I guess everybody will get their turn and like you said, sometimes there is nothing you can do to avoid it. Well I suppose one could give up riding and crawl into a hole :x
When you did your rendition of Evil Canievel and hit the pavement I hope you wore the proper protective clothing which hopefully protected you from more serious injuries. At least that's how it's supposed to be - if you can't avoid accidents, be prepared as you can be with proper safety gear.
Hope you heal quickly - mind and body :D

·
Registered
622 Posts
Glad to hear your not serouisly injured.

MikeB said:
If I had been that invisible in my youth I would have spent more time in the girl's locker room. :wink:
OK I gotta ask....whata mean by MORE time in the girl's locker room???!! :twisted: I know I just about gave Sister Paula Marie a heart attack she caught me in the girl's restroom, smoking cigarettes my Senior year! :lol:

MikeB said:
And finally, I'm completely inexperienced at this kind of thing, being a rookie victim and all, so if anyone can point me in the direction of some information as to what my rights might be with regard to compensation for the bike, medical bills, etc., I would be grateful. I'm sure his insurance company will try to stiff me using all the devious maneuvers in their ample arsenal.
The last time I had an accident was in a cage and not my fault. Very minor injuries and I didn't hire a lawyer or raise hell. Just asked for my medical bills to be paid. The responsible person's insurance sent me a check for 4x's the amount of the doctor's bill thanking me for not sueing them (and for signing the waiver). Everyone told me to hire a lawyer but I didn't think it was that serious of a matter. Now that I know more lawyers....I might call one today if it was to happen all over again.

Bruce

·
Registered
21 Posts
Glad you came out of it OK. We can give you tea and sympathy, but if you want advice, listen to Paulie and get a lawyer.

Yes, you are right. The insurance company will try to screw you. Every time. Bet on it.

·
Registered
549 Posts
i never like it when a rider goes down, but when it's a friend, i get the goosebumps. F__K!!!! i'm glad you're ok. i know how much you like that bike too. it's a damn shame. but when looking at the big picture, you're in one piece and that's what matters. how does mrs. mikeb feel about the accident?

i am not a letigious person, but i can't stand insurance companies. they're greed is beyond belief and i feel we should stick it to them whenever we can. i was once hit by a toyota truck that ran a stop sign whilst on my bicycle. his insurance adjuster had the audacity to say that it was half my fault because i should have moved out of the way.

i only had a sprained ankle and no damage was done to my bike, so i was not going to ask for anything more than med bills to be paid. but the adjuster pissed me off so much i asked for a chunk of change for my pain and suffering. i got a really nice mtn bike out of it!

ever since i saw forum member ihavethespirit go down i have become a proponent of all-gear, all-the-time. i know you gear up, so please tell us what you were wearing and how it held up.

damn, my friend. i'm glad you're ok.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Call a lawyer ASAP. You will get more guaranteed. I am getting sued right now for a car accident I was in nearly 2 years ago. My insurance calculated his medical bills, loss of income, pain and suffering to come to about 20 grand. I am being sued for 84 grand plus lawyer fees IF I lose...IF. I am guaranteed to lose as I am at fault for the accident. So he is getting a free shot at my insurance and will negotiate somewhere in between probably around 40-50 and settle out of court. Or maybe he goes through with it and My insurance has to pay for the court fees as well but in any case, for free, he is going to get at least double what he deserves.

Your situation is similar where he is clearly at fault so no matter what you sue him for you will win something. There has got to be a ton of lawyers out there just waiting for you to call on this one. It will be a lengthy process as your lawyer will play the same game asking for way too much and meeting them in the middle so the sooner you get on this the sooner you will have the replacement ride paid for.

If lawyers didn't work they wouldn't be in business. And there is a whole lot of them.

-T

·
Registered
310 Posts
Ouch!

Glad you are okay mate. The bike is easily replaceable, you are not. A had a similar event a couple of months after a 25 year accident free run. It happens when you least expect it.

A new bike in your future?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Great to hear you came out of this one. Worth more then any insurance money!!!

However, Insurance company and adjuster will try to pretend to act in your best interests (and do a good job with this)but their goal is to give you as little money as possible and have you sign the waiver preventing you from further claims.
Having dealt with numerous accidents myself (none my fault I may add), these are my suggestions (with all legal disclaimers following).

1. Don't sign anything - emphasis on anything - unless you are satisfied with the result or have been advised by someone representing you to sign the documents. Insurance company up here tried to "slip" a waiver into a set of documents to sign which were represented to be for "salvage" purposes only. Take the papers home, read them in a leisurely manner. You don't have to be pressured to sign anything. You're bike isn't going anywhere!
2. Don't say anything - even off the cuff remarks can incriminate you. Every call, conversation, e-mail etc. will be recorded and can be used to put some liability onto you. Answer yes or no, or not at all. And if it isn't relevant - don't bother answering.
3. Watch what you write on the accident report. Again, they will try to eliminate sentences that increase their liability and the severity of the crash. If your helmet, windshield, pants etc cracked, insist this goes into the report even if it was just a small crack or tear. This is evidence for the severity of the crash and your fall. Take the accident report home and write it out yourself where you feel comfortable. Having an insurance adjuster hovering around or trying to write it for you is another tactic they try to pressure and intimidate.
4. Don't be in a hurry to settle. Had one accident that after six months of physio and pain turned into a major back surgery and fusion of the spine.
Wait for all the medical bills to come in and any complications to set (hopefully none!)
5. If you think you can negotiate a fair settlement with the insurance company - go ahead. I still would get an opinion or have the documents reviewed by legal counsel representing you. It should cost a couple of hundred bucks for this or a favour from a lawyer friend (or relative).
6. If the insurance company is jerking you around right from the start...don't even hesitate to bring in legal counsel ASAP. This stops most of the games and frustrations.

Advise based on my experiences.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hats off and a moment of silence for the bike...
Glad to hear you're going to be ok.
When you get the new bike tell them you want the cloaking package removed if possible. My Honda dealer told me it was standard equipment and hidden as good as a LOJACK bug.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Man, I am glad that you are relatively OK MB. You have a great sense of humor and with a little legal help the bike issue will be just fine... eventually :roll:

·
Registered
1994 Honda Shadow VT1100C. 1993 Honda VF750C Magna.
1,379 Posts
instygator said:
Bikes can be replaced body parts are a little harder to come by.
Not if you know the right people. "The marthter will thee you now, thir".

Hells Teeth and ankle straps Mike! Glad to see that it is mainly only the pride which has been dented in connection with your personage.

And although bikes can be replaced, sometimes you just form an affection for one that makes it more than just metal, plastic and rubber.

Take care of yourself.

Graham

1 - 20 of 44 Posts